Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 76 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What about 4 conferences going to 16 or 20 - ACC (16), B1G (20), SEC (20), PAC (16)? That's 72 slots. Right now, the P5 have 65 programs.

That could work. But 4 x 16 doesn't work. Too many on the sidelines and live content too valuable.

I hope we all remember that right before the Big East imploded, everyone thought the Big XII was about to dissolve. I think a few things are becoming more clear and putting the lie to the old value metrics. (1) it's obvious that the conference makes the school as much as the other way around. Rutgers in the B1G is worth more. Louisville in the ACC is worth more. TCU in the Big XII is worth more. UConn, elsewhere is worth more. The same is true of Nevada, Colorado State, etc. Valuing any G5 school as it exists in a G5 conference is faulty. (2) Football drove the bus. Football isn't driving the bus now. Cable networks, media markets and full year, 24 x 7 content are driving the bus. The conferences and media partners are realizing that they undervalued basketball, hockey, baseball etc. UConn absolutely clobbers every other G5 school on this measure. It clobbers many P5 schools on this basis.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Big 12 dissolves with 4 to the Pac 12, 2 to each of the B1G, ACC, SEC. Game over.
I think the Big 12 expands and will somehow get Florida State to come over. It has to expand, move east, and get into Florida.
How many conferences can say they have more than 1 school in both Florida and Texas? Only 2.

I think the inaction by the B12 over the past 12 months to add schools speaks volumes to the internal doubt harbored by the cornerstone schools about the long run of the conference. Just like when Syracuse and Pitt voted no on the final BE ESPN contract, voting no on expansion to me means they are thinking about something else in the long run.

Reaction Score
Tuberville talked about the possibility of a new conference. I wonder if he thinks that the leftovers from the Big12 might join up with the AAC:

Tuberville also said on Sirius XM that more changes are in store for college football, including stipends and perhaps another round of realignment.

“I think some teams move in and out of the conference to put themselves in a better situation,” Tuberville said. “I think there possibly might be another conference that might be started that will give a chance for another playoff possibility."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...berville-big-12-expansion-cincinnati-bearcats

Reactions: pj

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Tuberville talked about the possibility of a new conference. I wonder if he thinks that the leftovers from the Big12 might join up with the AAC:

Tuberville also said on Sirius XM that more changes are in store for college football, including stipends and perhaps another round of realignment.

“I think some teams move in and out of the conference to put themselves in a better situation,” Tuberville said. “I think there possibly might be another conference that might be started that will give a chance for another playoff possibility."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...berville-big-12-expansion-cincinnati-bearcats

This sounds like what some of us here have been bandying about. Blow up the AAC, and merger the valuable teams from the MWC, AAC and BYI. Bye bye Temple, Tulsa, Tulane.

pj

Reaction Score
To avoid lawsuits and capture all available TV money, they will need to bring some of the G5 in, but the P5 won't take all of them. The B12 is unstable and destined to die. They need to expand the playoffs to make the major conferences happy. I think a P5 with the B12 replaced by a "best of the rest" in a 5 x 14-16 schools arrangement, and 8 team playoff with 5 autobids, would get all the TV value out of college sports.

Reaction Score
Big 12 dissolves with 4 to the Pac 12, 2 to each of the B1G, ACC, SEC. Game over.
I think the Big 12 expands and will somehow get Florida State to come over. It has to expand, move east, and get into Florida.
How many conferences can say they have more than 1 school in both Florida and Texas? Only 2.
Does that make the AAC a power conference?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If college FB wants to do it right they have to scrap the traditional conferences and recreate 4, 5 or 6 conferences each of which encompass 2-3 "regions". The new conferences then bargain collectively. Basketball wouldn't be impacted (in theory) because thw BE, A-10, etc would function as normal and feed into the NCAA tourney.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have always believed that the internal ACC power struggle did impact UConn vs Louisville as an add. The add before that of Pitt? I have no idea what pulled that trigger.

I have no idea of the Big Ten's thinking regarding Rutgers vs UConn. I suspect that both Maryland and Rutgers had contacts in the B1G (Maryland's Loh came from B1G)....and the AAU was the decider for Rutgers. But who really knows?

Pretty easy. Bigger school, bigger market, bigger state, bigger endowment, longer 1A football history, AAU, it simply looks more like a B1G school. I've got no argument. Louisville...different story there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
billybud said:
I have always believed that the internal ACC power struggle did impact UConn vs Louisville as an add. The add before that of Pitt? I have no idea what pulled that trigger.

I have no idea of the Big Ten's thinking regarding Rutgers vs UConn. I suspect that both Maryland and Rutgers had contacts in the B1G (Maryland's Loh came from B1G)....and the AAU was the decider for Rutgers. But who really knows?

Are we still talking about this. FSU, Miami and Clemson wanted a FB school. BC and by proxy Pitt and Cuse wanted no part of UCONN in their P5 playground. That's 4+ solid no's. The real question is has any of that sentiment changed. More to the point has the lure of cable boxes changed their tune?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I suspect that 9 million in NJ vs. 3 million in CT was a significant factor.

Reaction Score
Temple should survive that cut. I actually like playing Temple

Agree, if Temple can finally take athletics seriously, they are located in the country's 4th largest TV market, even if Penn State (football) and Villanova (hoops) are the big boys in the city of Brotherly love. Plus, heaven forbid UConn is stuck in the AAC for a log time, it's nice to have 1 conference mate that is within a day's car ride to UConn.

Tulane can stay in, too, simply because the excuse to go on a road trip to New Orleans every other year is way too good of an opportunity to pass up.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Agree, if Temple can finally take athletics seriously, they are located in the country's 4th largest TV market, even if Penn State (football) and Villanova (hoops) are the big boys in the city of Brotherly love. Plus, heaven forbid UConn is stuck in the AAC for a log time, it's nice to have 1 conference mate that is within a day's car ride to UConn.

Tulane can stay in, too, simply because the excuse to go on a road trip to New Orleans every other year is way too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Yeah, the trouble with Temple is not the football and basketball--it's that the rest of the athletic department is soooo bad. Someone on the AAC forum posted the final Director's Cup standings and while I think the Director's Cup is a joke as a competition it is a good proxy for athletic spending. Temple was 248! Last in the AAC by a wide margin. We're never getting into the ACC (a league that loves to spend on non-football sports to show it belongs in the club, since it ain't in the club for its football) that way.

Reaction Score
We're never getting into the ACC (a league that loves to spend on non-football sports to show it belongs in the club, since it ain't in the club for its football) that way.

Right but UConn was actually 1 away from having the best score in the AAC ranked 74 to USF's 73. Additionally we outperformed Pitt, Wake Forest, Rutgers, K-State, Washington State in the P5 and 70 percent of the Big East.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Right but UConn was actually 1 away from having the best score in the AAC ranked 74 to USF's 73. Additionally we outperformed Pitt, Wake Forest, Rutgers, K-State, Washington State in the P5 and 70 percent of the Big East.

I'm surprised UConn wasn't #1...guess that baseball run USF had plus the off year for men's BB made the difference.

Reaction Score
Santa J. Ono ‏@PrezOno · Jun 30

We live & we learn to take
One step at a time
It's gonna happen when it's
Supposed to happen & we
Find the reasons why
One step at a time

Santa J. Ono
@PrezOno
28th President of the University of Cincinnati

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

One step at a time
Supposed to happen & we
Find the reasons why
One step at a time

Santa J. Ono
@PrezOno

Did Cincinnati just get dumped, and then search old AOL Instant Messenger away notices?

Reaction Score

One step at a time
Supposed to happen & we
Find the reasons why
One step at a time

Santa J. Ono
@PrezOno

Pretty sure these are the lyrics to a Jordin Sparks song

Reaction Score

One step at a time
Supposed to happen & we
Find the reasons why
One step at a time

Santa J. Ono
@PrezOno

This dude is a straight up EDP!!!!

Reaction Score
Bingo, if our football team wasn't a dumpster fire we probably would have passed USF, BC and Kansas.

The cynic in me thinks that if UConn had somehow beaten Oklahoma in the Fiesta bowl, BC & co. would have still found a way to keep the Huskies out of the P5. Football is just an excuse for the ACC.

Reaction Score

YOUR FSU AND BC did UConn in. I cannot believe you are still here blabbing about this. ACC wanted UConn over Pitt. BC blackballed UConn that time. Next round, FSU pushed for Louisville over UConn. Period. Case closed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom