Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 75 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just find it hard to believe ESPN lets guys spout nonsense like that with garbage sources, it kills credibility. Journalism is dead I guess.

I minored in Technical Writing and took quite a few journalism courses in college. One thing I always remember is the constant harping on sources and quality of sources and triple checking. The new world of communication and journalism is hard for me to grasp...and I'm still pretty young.
It's not journalism. It's Twitter.:eek:

Reaction Score
Ian Fitzsimmons ‏@Ianfitzespn · 12h12 hours ago
TCU AD @_delconte when asked if he is a proponent of a Big 12 Title Game "I am a proponent of everyone just chilling out. It's been 1 year"

Del Conte on the future of the Big 12 "We are rock solid. I love the 10 school concept. I love the round robin in CFB and bball."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is a blindingly simple explanation - he has bad sources and lacks the candlepower to realize it.
This is all true but I'll wager heavily that he has better sources and superior candlepower than any of our favorite hillbilly bloggers (Fish of West Virginia excepted).

Reaction Score
TCU AD @_delconte when asked if he is a proponent of a Big 12 Title Game "I am a proponent of everyone just chilling out. It's been 1 year"

Del Conte on the future of the Big 12 "We are rock solid. I love the 10 school concept. I love the round robin in CFB and bball."
Of course...he's finally reached their only hope of P5.

Reaction Score
While Cowherd is an idiot and Finebaum is an SEC blowhard, the fact that ESPN people are even talking about this means there's something going on. Whether that something is just some go-nowhere discussions or legitimate talk is a different story. But it surely means that the prospect of realignment is not dead in the water. The TCU AD's comments, particularly the first one, signal someone who is trying to calm the waters on purpose because his school may not be in the most ideal position were the Big 12 to collapse. Notice how his comments are not on the usual spectrum of LOL GUYS THIS IS PREPOSTEROUS, MOVE ALONG. He actually responded to the question with a substantive answer. A change of tone from multiple key people who would surely be in the know.

Reaction Score
While Cowherd is an idiot and Finebaum is an SEC blowhard, the fact that ESPN people are even talking about this means there's something going on. Whether that something is just some go-nowhere discussions or legitimate talk is a different story. But it surely means that the prospect of realignment is not dead in the water. The TCU AD's comments, particularly the first one, signal someone who is trying to calm the waters on purpose because his school may not be in the most ideal position were the Big 12 to collapse.
Ding Ding Ding Re TCU!!

Reaction Score
This would be the best possible scenario for UConn. It would imply UConn and Kansas to the B1G for 16 ... Texas and Oklahoma State to the Pac? ... Oklahoma and who to the SEC -- maybe ESPN would orchestrate a swap, NC State to the SEC and West Virginia to the ACC, fixing the 4 NC school in the ACC problem?

Regardless, it seems too good to be true ...
Oh its gotta happen soon pj...any movement and chaos is GOOD.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

When Oklahoma is unhappy, you are not rock solid. And Texas doesn't have your back, Mr. Del Conte.

Has anyone ever noticed that the most strident defenders of the status quo are the recently elevated?

Reaction Score
Honestly a Big 12 dissolution is probably our best bet at this point. Worst case scenario, one or two B12 teams are left over and the AAC adds them. But chaos that does not involve the B12 pillaging two or four AAC teams not named UConn is a plus for us.

Reaction Score

And we know TCU's word is rock solid!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
When Oklahoma is unhappy, you are not rock solid. And Texas doesn't have your back, Mr. Del Conte.

Has anyone ever noticed that the most strident defenders of the status quo are the recently elevated?
Louisville and Syracuse fans are the internet's leading experts on ACC culture. They took over for the BC fan.

Reaction Score
Food for thought for the Cowherd bashers:

Take a listen. He hit 2 of 3 schools on the same day. Makes you think something happened with the UConn thing - or his source misunderstood "vetted" for "receiving an invite."

FYI - he was 2 months ahead of the Utah/Colorado public invites.

Listening to this is gonna hurt - what could have been - but maybe what still could be?

Here's the audio:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/4...erd-says?_ga=1.12549876.1952189474.1435718199

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To summarize:

Oklahoma's president is openly talking about expansion
TCU's AD is telling everyone to chill
B12 Commish says 3 1/3 schools want to expand
Texas ain't saying nothin'
Two separate ESPN commentators are openly talking about it.

I'd say it's safe to say something is happening. Will it come to fruition? Who knows?

Reaction Score
Food for thought for the Cowherd bashers:

Take a listen. He hit 2 of 3 schools on the same day. Makes you think something happened with the UConn thing - or his source misunderstood "vetted" for "receiving an invite."

FYI - he was 2 months ahead of the Utah/Colorado public invites.

Listening to this is gonna hurt - what could have been - but maybe what still could be?

Here's the audio:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/4...erd-says?_ga=1.12549876.1952189474.1435718199

I moved this to it's own thread so if anyone wants to comment on it - send it over there. Or don't. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia, Danny?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, the good news is I have Thursday and Friday off from work, so tomorrow is basically useless as everyone is going to be BS'ing about what they are doing for the 4th.

I'll have all day to enjoy this thread.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh that's cowherd. Then def not happening. I remember before big ten picked Nebraska he said he knew for a fact that the big ten was taking UConn as the 12th team.
Maybe we were in the discussion and that's why he misread the signals.

Reaction Score
Does anyone really think Boren made this noise because he desperately wants to add Cincy, Memphis, or UCF? Please. His main goal is to further fragment an already fragmented Big12. OU wants out. OU doesn't want to play Memphis on a Sat in October. I think what Cowherd said makes perfect sense, at least from an OU standpoint. Like A&M, I think OU has had it with Texas and wants to stop playing under their shadow(but will gladly play them annually at the Texas state fair.) Whats the best way to do this? Bring up expansion, which Texas doesn't want. Better yet, bring it up while mentioning schools that add no additional value whatsoever to the LHN.

Reaction Score
Maybe we were in the discussion and that's why he misread the signals.

I think that could be right.....UConn was in the discussion....and the Huskies were also right there with the ACC as well.

My gut feeling is that some ACC and Big Ten Presidents wanted UConn but got out maneuvered/voted.

Reaction Score
I just find it hard to believe ESPN lets guys spout nonsense like that with garbage sources, it kills credibility. Journalism is dead I guess.

I minored in Technical Writing and took quite a few journalism courses in college. One thing I always remember is the constant harping on sources and quality of sources and triple checking. The new world of communication and journalism is hard for me to grasp...and I'm still pretty young.
Just remember espn is in the entertainment business, not the news business.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly a Big 12 dissolution is probably our best bet at this point. Worst case scenario, one or two B12 teams are left over and the AAC adds them. But chaos that does not involve the B12 pillaging two or four AAC teams not named UConn is a plus for us.

We would have to get very, very lucky. I don't see it given our history. UConn needs five conferences going to 16. In that scenario, it's hard for us to lose. Once you are down to four conferences, we're in trouble.

You are right that in the four conference world, the AAC probably gets stronger, but that's hardly the end result we want.
Worst case scenario is that the B12 expands and pillages the AAC, but I don't think UConn is in the AAC long in that scenario.

Reaction Score
While Cowherd is an idiot and Finebaum is an SEC blowhard, the fact that ESPN people are even talking about this means there's something going on. Whether that something is just some go-nowhere discussions or legitimate talk is a different story. But it surely means that the prospect of realignment is not dead in the water. The TCU AD's comments, particularly the first one, signal someone who is trying to calm the waters on purpose because his school may not be in the most ideal position were the Big 12 to collapse. Notice how his comments are not on the usual spectrum of LOL GUYS THIS IS PREPOSTEROUS, MOVE ALONG. He actually responded to the question with a substantive answer. A change of tone from multiple key people who would surely be in the know.

Completely agree. The smoke has risen high enough that people are noticing. Thus, its now being talked about on ESPN because thy do not want to appear to be 'blind' when we all know they are likely pulling a lot of strings behind the scene. As for the XII, anyone who believes that it is 'rock stead' without a conference championship game in football, i.e. limited opportunity to get into the college football playoff, is a fool. The question is who blinks first - Texas or Oklahoma. As for the rest of the XII excluding Kansas, as my gut is that they would be grabbed by the B1G, they have to be as nervous. K State, OK State, and Texas Tech's value is tied to their respective bigger brother. Iowa St and West Virginia are out on islands. Could TCU and/or Baylor be attractive to anyone? I can actually see a school like Baylor int eh SEC, assuming that the SEC does not want U Texas because of the Longhorns' insistence on special treatment. Texas can easily support 2 SEC programs, they are private and solid academically (a friend for Vanderbilt), have a solid football team with new facilities and decent Olympic sports. And, they would not threaten A&M like the addition of U Texas would.

Reaction Score
Big 12 dissolves with 4 to the Pac 12, 2 to each of the B1G, ACC, SEC. Game over.
I think the Big 12 expands and will somehow get Florida State to come over. It has to expand, move east, and get into Florida.
How many conferences can say they have more than 1 school in both Florida and Texas? Only 2.

Reaction Score
We would have to get very, very lucky. I don't see it given our history. UConn needs five conferences going to 16. In that scenario, it's hard for us to lose. Once you are down to four conferences, we're in trouble.

You are right that in the four conference world, the AAC probably gets stronger, but that's hardly the end result we want.
Worst case scenario is that the B12 expands and pillages the AAC, but I don't think UConn is in the AAC long in that scenario.

What about 4 conferences going to 16 or 20 - ACC (16), B1G (20), SEC (20), PAC (16)? That's 72 slots. Right now, the P5 have 65 programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom