Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 69 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's also worth pointing out the fact that whether the NNNBE schools would want UConn in their midst is a giant assumption. We no longer fit with their academic profile as they area almost exclusively private religious institutions. This rift was always there in the old BE, and as the rift grew it led to the catholic 7 splitting off on their own. What incentive do they have to bridge that gap with one of the public state schools they divorced from in the first place?

They already have their fat TV contract with FS1 and have little incentive to expand. Maybe Fox will tell them their ratings suck and they should bite the bullet / split the pie more with teams that can bring viewers, but that won't happen until the end of the contract which is what, 10 years? And given their ratings struggles you know Fox won't hand out another fat payday. At that point they may decide to go back to ESPN simply for the exposure.

The people arguing for UConn to drop football should be honest and say "UConn should drop football and put all sports in the A-10" because that is a more realistic scenario than the Big East.

Reaction Score
If you don't think that the NBE would welcome UConn basketball back with open arms, you're on drugs. The fact that they're Catholic schools is not relevant. They split off because they didn't want to have Tulane and Tulsa and ECU on their schedules every year, not because they wanted to stop playing the marquee basketball program in the Big East, and especially not because that school is secular. Given the ratings issues they're having, bringing in a high-profile, nationally-recognized program like UConn with Big East history is exactly what the doctor ordered.

It is, however, a bad move for UConn, unless the AAC is willing to let us park our football team there until we get a better offer, which obviously wouldn't happen.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The NBE wouldn't want us back because they know when we get a P5 invite we're going pull all the Olympic sports back out. They separated because they felt they were being yanked around by the FBS schools. They aren't going to welcome UConn back in only for us to leave again.

Reaction Score
The NBE wouldn't want us back because they know when we get a P5 invite we're going pull all the Olympic sports back out. They separated because they felt they were being yanked around by the FBS schools. They aren't going to welcome UConn back in only for us to leave again.

They separated because they didn't want to add a bunch of no-name, 250+ RPI basketball programs to their schedules. Even if we were to leave eventually, the Big East is making more money the entire time we're in it. They're not going to turn that down because eventually we might leave for a better league.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just like any other league, I can't see them making an offer to us unless it results in an increase to the per school distribution. I can't see that happening with the NBE. Their product has been show to be unable to support their current deal. That number is going down whether UConn joined them or not unless ESPN loses some of it's current inventory. (Fox isn't getting a good ROI and likely won't reinvest at this $$. ESPN has the advertising base to be able to profit from the content.)

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
They separated because they didn't want to add a bunch of no-name, 250+ RPI basketball programs to their schedules. Even if we were to leave eventually, the Big East is making more money the entire time we're in it. They're not going to turn that down because eventually we might leave for a better league.

I disagree. They split because they didn't want to deal with FBS schools anymore. They felt that they were burned by all the defections. Did they bring in better basketball profiles than the ones that were available from available FBS schools? Absolutely, but that was more a function of the NBE wanting to put the FBS situation in the rearview mirror for good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If UConn wanted to join the Big East, assuming such a thing were possible, the last thing that would get in the way is the Fox deal - they would make whatever adjustments they'd have to make to increase the take to accommodate UConn.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If UConn wanted to join the Big East, assuming such a thing were possible, the last thing that would get in the way is the Fox deal - they would make whatever adjustments they'd have to make to increase the take to accommodate UConn.

^^^ This!

The idea that UConn could no longer join the Big East if it wanted to....really? C'mon, fellas. The only thing keeping UConn from joining the Big East is that it would be a very stupid move for UConn to do. Anyone who doesn't believe that it's a stupid idea is, well, I'll let you do the calculus...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Okay, so I don't have any sources or quotes but I'm confident that part of the calculus was the private vs. state split. That was not because those schools felt religiously motivated to shun the wordly secular schools or whatever, but there was a clear deliniation between the two camps, and the presidents in their camp felt they were able to see eye to eye with each other and with everyone else less so. That plus Fox came along and offered them a proverbial bag of money. I don't claim to know what Fox wants to do. It's probably nothing for now and hope ratings improve. Maybe they'll reassess when the contract is up for renewal. But I don't imagine the coaches at Seton Hall, Providence etc. will relish having to recruit against UConn in their league, and having UConn use their league as a platform, in the same way BC / flipper felt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
^^^ This!

The idea that UConn could no longer join the Big East if it wanted to....really? C'mon, fellas. The only thing keeping UConn from joining the Big East is that it would be a very stupid move for UConn to do. Anyone who doesn't believe that it's a stupid idea is, well, I'll let you do the calculus...

You realize that such people can't do calculus right?

CL82

Reaction Score

I doubt it. They already are losing money on the deal and I don't see that the addition of UConn changes that. Which isn't to say that UConn doesn't have value to networks that actually have viewers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I doubt it. They already are losing money on the deal and I don't see that the addition of UConn changes that. Which isn't to say that UConn doesn't have value to networks that actually have viewers.

Are you kidding?

If you're running a business and it's struggling to grow, the last thing you do when offered a marquee property is stand pat.

The extra money isn't even a rounding error for Fox.

And for those peeps who think the Big East wouldn't let UConn in - forget that.

Once Fox came along with their bag of money, they owned the Big East in the same way that ESPN owns the ACC.

If Fox says "UConn", it's done.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While privately I am confident that at least a few current BE members would love to have us back, publicly their stance is that they will not consider it if we are still playing FBS football. They believe that they've been burnt too often and too severely in the past due to football and realize that unless we fulfill Waylon's dream and abandon the sport, the possibility will exist for us to get up and leave at any time (as soon as a P-5 conference extends an invitation).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Okay, so I don't have any sources or quotes but I'm confident that part of the calculus was the private vs. state split. That was not because those schools felt religiously motivated to shun the wordly secular schools or whatever, but there was a clear deliniation between the two camps, and the presidents in their camp felt they were able to see eye to eye with each other and with everyone else less so. That plus Fox came along and offered them a proverbial bag of money. I don't claim to know what Fox wants to do. It's probably nothing for now and hope ratings improve. Maybe they'll reassess when the contract is up for renewal. But I don't imagine the coaches at Seton Hall, Providence etc. will relish having to recruit against UConn in their league, and having UConn use their league as a platform, in the same way BC / flipper felt.

The differences between private and public, Catholic and secular, football and non-football, were ONLY issues when the old Big East advantages for the C7 dried up. When they were looking at approximately 10 - 12 million dollar tv contract with the old Big East prior to Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU, and the Ville splitting town, nobody cared a rat's patootie about public versus private. They cared about a large tv contract and crazy amounts of NCAA tourney credit payments.

The nano-second that the aforementioned reality fell apart, they started to talk about "like-minded universities". Money first, brethren second. UConn would get them more money, ergo, they would include us as part of their brethren... ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
Are you kidding?

If you're running a business and it's struggling to grow, the last thing you do when offered a marquee property is stand pat.

The extra money isn't even a rounding error for Fox.

And for those peeps who think the Big East wouldn't let UConn in - forget that.

Once Fox came along with their bag of money, they owned the Big East in the same way that ESPN owns the ACC.

If Fox says "UConn", it's done.
Do you think UConn generates viewership numbers that are significantly different than what Fox gets now? I'm not convinced of that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Do you think UConn generates viewership numbers that are significantly different than what Fox gets now? I'm not convinced of that.

We are the biggest college draw in a state of 3.5 million people, and we have good viewership in NY as evidenced by our SNY contracts and other such data, as well as good viewership in large portions of New England. If you don't think that would significantly change the metrics for Fox's current Big East situation, then I'm not sure what else to say. We would instantly be the biggest draw in the conference upon stepping one foot back into the door...

CL82

Reaction Score
We are the biggest college draw in a state of 3.5 million people, and we have good viewership in NY as evidenced by our SNY contracts and other such data, as well as good viewership in large portions of New England. If you don't think that would significantly change the metrics for Fox's current Big East situation, then I'm not sure what else to say. We would instantly be the biggest draw in the conference upon stepping one foot back into the door...
Know one is watching. Few even know FS1 exists. I'm not sure that UConn can fix that for them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Know one is watching. Few even know FS1 exists. I'm not sure that UConn can fix that for them.
SNY paid more for our women's games than AAC teams get for all their sports currently. Do you really question our real value ?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
No way the NBE takes UConn unless UConn finds a long term home for football.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No way the NBE takes UConn unless UConn finds a long term home for football.

Unfortunately, you have it backwards. Your sentence should read, "No way that UConn would go to the NBE unless UConn finds a long term home for football."

The NBE would absolutely LOVE having UConn for all of the other sports outside of football. They would instantly become national contenders in men's BB, women's BB, men's soccer, field hockey (although field hockey is currently in the Big East anyways), and would be a playoff contender / regional power in women's soccer, track & field, baseball, etc.

So again, no way that UConn would go to the NBE unless...

CL82

Reaction Score
SNY paid more for our women's games than AAC teams get for all their sports currently. Do you really question our real value ?
That is the answer CA, I was wondering when someone would get around to that. More importantly, SNY was pretty much non-existent in CT before they got the woman's team broadcast rights and then suddenly they got huge penetration (innuendo unintended, but noted) in the state. So yeah I complete get your point. But FS1 has done amazingly poorly. It seems to be where sports programming goes to die. I'm not sure even UConn is enough to resurrect it.

(Also, I used the words 'Huge penetration innuendo" together in a way that won't get me in trouble with Tom. Not bad for a first post of the day.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom