Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 62 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Especially concerming that blond hair guy on the cheer squad

Man it is depressing. The big 12 sits on their hands, even with UC and UConn avaialbe at cheap prices. The ACC thinks it outsmarted the B!G, and Delaney waits.

Oh well, depressing Irish thoughts for 2 more years before I realize its hopeless. So for 2 more years I can pray. (Pray the ND goes 5-7 two straight years) maybe that will help.

Reaction Score
You do understand that WVU guys wake up in the middle of the night screaming because they dream of UConn and WVU trading places.

Did I ever mention I'm a believer in prophecy?

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC has any thought that it outsmarted the B1G. Maybe btstimpy and billybud think that. I think the ACC knows very well that they outsmarted themselves, sold their souls to ESPN, and guaranteed themselves an inferior position. They have pretty much locked themselves into a weaker position than the B1G or SEC, given the smaller markets and dearth of state schools in the new ACC. They risk continued expansion by the B1G and/or SEC into their territory - UConn, UVa or Va Tech, UNC would give leading positions in new states to the B1G or SEC. Meanwhile the ACC has been expanding with schools that are second place in their own markets like Louisville or have weak followings like BC, Pitt, Cuse. Don't think they don't realize that Maryland for Louisville was a bad trade, and that more bad trades are probably coming.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes if only the ACC had played their cards better.

They discarded Maryland to pick Louisville.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, is it time to beg the ACC to let everything in but football and go Indy? :)

Of course not, but I'd take the Notre Dame deal. All sports but football plus a five game scheduling agreement. We could fill out the remaining games as an independent. Same deal with the B1G would be great.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Of course not, but I'd take the Notre Dame deal. All sports but football plus a five game scheduling agreement. We could fill out the remaining games as an independent. Same deal with the B1G would be great.
What channel will UConn be on? Where's the exposure? SNY? The reason Independence works for Notre Dame is that it's a national brand and everyone gets NBC.

Reaction Score
What channel will UConn be on? Where's the exposure? SNY? The reason Independence works for Notre Dame is that it's a national brand and everyone gets NBC.

The same network that will cover my date with Lady Gaga

Reaction Score
Heather Dinich @CFBHeather · 2h 2 hours ago
Talked to Bob Bowlsby today about possible deregulation of league title games. He said there's no reason it can't be considered by 2016

Bowlsby said "whether the votes will be there to change it is anybody's guess."

Asked Bowlsby if there is a date yet for it to be voted on. He said no, "very preliminary."

Bowlsby told @dennisdoddcbs there's been talk about ACC going to 3 divisions but Swofford told me "that's unlikely in our league."

JS:We haven’t really discussed that to any degree of seriousness. A few yrs ago it came up briefly but didn’t get legs in our discussions.

Here's the news story on deregulation, first reported by @dennisdoddcbs http://es.pn/1CRUkvd

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The ACC even contemplating 3 divisions is somewhat interesting given that they have 14 football teams and I can't see three divisions working unless you have 15 teams.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC even contemplating 3 divisions is somewhat interesting given that they have 14 football teams and I can't see three divisions working unless you have 15 teams.

True. The Cincinnati market must be really important to them.

Reaction Score
The ACC has talked division realignment for years without having any answers....it is currently awkward.

If you like regionality, it makes little sense to have FSU play in Syracuse and Boston while only 250 miles away, Georgia Tech sees the Noles in Atlanta once every 12 years.

Too many programs have differing wants to allow for an easy divisional realignment. A North-South split has been discussed. The northern schools don't want a North-South split which might isolate them from prime recruiting grounds.

I could see a no division rotating schedule with the two highest rated teams meeting in a CCG.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The ACC has talked division realignment for years without having any answers....it is currently awkward.

If you like regionality, it makes little sense to have FSU play in Syracuse and Boston while only 250 miles away, Georgia Tech sees the Noles in Atlanta once every 12 years.

Too many programs have differing wants to allow for an easy divisional realignment. A North-South split has been discussed. The northern schools don't want a North-South split which might isolate them from prime recruiting grounds.

I could see a no division rotating schedule with the two highest rated teams meeting in a CCG.

So it would effectively then become the original ACC (plus VPI and Miami) and the football playing Big East Schools minus UConn? The Northern Schools don't want a North South Split because once the southern schools realize they are carrying the other division, they will want to split from them too.

Conference realignment is not about regionality. Programs charter jets. Regionality was only a concern when college athletic conferences were bus leagues.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So it would effectively then become the original ACC (plus VPI and Miami) and the football playing Big East Schools minus UConn? The Northern Schools don't want a North South Split because once the southern schools realize they are carrying the other division, they will want to split from them too.

Conference realignment is not about regionality. Programs charter jets. Regionality was only a concern when college athletic conferences were bus leagues.
I get your point but we saw the drag the road trips had on the men this year. It's brutal.

Reaction Score
Greg Wrubell @gregwrubell · 5h 5 hours ago
Bronco Mendenhall is meeting one-on-one with some local media members today...a couple of highlights from my session coming up.

I asked Bronco if he has in mind a time-frame window, re: BYU's window of opportunity, as it relates to making the jump to P5 status...

Bronco: "I hate to be pinned down, but if someone were to force me, I'd say three years. It has to happen within three."

Bronco: "Could it go longer than (three years)? Yes, it could. Is it desirable to me, to go longer than that? The answer is no."

As to any future conference-realignment shift, Bronco says "I still think there is one" coming.

Bronco says CFP-selection protocol/conf championship-game considerations, geographic/divisional additions could precipitate next shift.

Greg Wrubell @gregwrubell · 4h 4 hours ago
Bronco: $$ increasingly becoming a driver in CFB; "unintentionally, I think we're kind of hurting the collective game of college football."

Bronco: "The intent was to promote the game (through additional revenue); I think it's going to backfire, is what I think."

"When two of the Big 3 (BYU, Utah, TCU) were taken to different conferences, to me it was not an option to stay. BYU had to move forward."

Bronco: "I absolutely think it was worth it. I think it was the right move at that time. Independence is more difficult than the MWC was."

Bronco re: upgraded schedules: "Independence was already challenging; it is now becoming more challenging. I welcome that; I want progress."

Bronco says P5s are getting "somewhere from 20 to 27 million dollars" annually, in TV revenue. "That is not what our contract is with ESPN."

Bronco: "At some point, (P5) inclusion has to happen...best way I know to do it is play our way in, and that's what I have chosen to do."

Bronco, on BYU playing big names on big stages, says key Q becomes: "How long can you do that, without the same resources (as P5 programs)?

Greg WrubellVerified account
@gregwrubell
BYU FB/BB PBP on KSL/Cougar IMG Sports Network; BYU WSOC on http://BYUCougars.com. Cougar Tracks on KSL/ksl.com.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bronco Mendenhall is meeting one-on-one with some local media members today...a couple of highlights from my session coming up.

I asked Bronco if he has in mind a time-frame window, re: BYU's window of opportunity, as it relates to making the jump to P5 status...

Bronco: "I hate to be pinned down, but if someone were to force me, I'd say three years. It has to happen within three."

Bronco: "Could it go longer than (three years)? Yes, it could. Is it desirable to me, to go longer than that? The answer is no."

As to any future conference-realignment shift, Bronco says "I still think there is one" coming.

Bronco says CFP-selection protocol/conf championship-game considerations, geographic/divisional additions could precipitate next shift.

Bronco: $$ increasingly becoming a driver in CFB; "unintentionally, I think we're kind of hurting the collective game of college football."

Bronco: "The intent was to promote the game (through additional revenue); I think it's going to backfire, is what I think."

"When two of the Big 3 (BYU, Utah, TCU) were taken to different conferences, to me it was not an option to stay. BYU had to move forward."

Bronco: "I absolutely think it was worth it. I think it was the right move at that time. Independence is more difficult than the MWC was."

Bronco re: upgraded schedules: "Independence was already challenging; it is now becoming more challenging. I welcome that; I want progress."

Bronco says P5s are getting "somewhere from 20 to 27 million dollars" annually, in TV revenue. "That is not what our contract is with ESPN."

Bronco: "At some point, (P5) inclusion has to happen...best way I know to do it is play our way in, and that's what I have chosen to do."

Bronco, on BYU playing big names on big stages, says key Q becomes: "How long can you do that, without the same resources (as P5 programs)?

@gregwrubell
BYU FB/BB PBP on KSL/Cougar IMG Sports Network; BYU WSOC on http://BYUCougars.com. Cougar Tracks on KSL/ksl.com.

I do not disagree with that time frame.

Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC has any thought that it outsmarted the B1G. Maybe btstimpy and billybud think that. I think the ACC knows very well that they outsmarted themselves, sold their souls to ESPN, and guaranteed themselves an inferior position. They have pretty much locked themselves into a weaker position than the B1G or SEC, given the smaller markets and dearth of state schools in the new ACC. They risk continued expansion by the B1G and/or SEC into their territory - UConn, UVa or Va Tech, UNC would give leading positions in new states to the B1G or SEC. Meanwhile the ACC has been expanding with schools that are second place in their own markets like Louisville or have weak followings like BC, Pitt, Cuse. Don't think they don't realize that Maryland for Louisville was a bad trade, and that more bad trades are probably coming.

Well done - you have synthesized the reasons why I hope we end up in the B1G. Sure it would be infinitely better to be in the ACC than our current gulag, but I agree with you - long term trouble looms for the ACC. If the ACC melts away in 10 years then we would be back to square one with all the attendant intrigue.

Reaction Score

Conference realignment may not be about regionality....but great rivalries and fan interest are.

The SEC and their block of fans care about the regional aspect of the conference....the SEC, SEC, SEC chant is about regional pride that morphs into conference pride. No such counterpart exists in the ACC.

Rivalry and regional proximity go hand in hand. Alabama-Auburn, Ohio State-Michigan, VT-WVU, FSU-Miami, Texas-Oklahoma.

Boston College and Syracuse will never develop a rival in the southern ACC and FSU, Clemson, and GT will never develop a northern rival.

Sure a team can fly to any engagement....WVU playing west of the Mississippi is the poster child of CR non regionalism. But WVU fans probably miss the Backyard Brawl and the intensity of the rivalry with Virginia Tech. They comment that WVU has not been able to recruit in Texas and that not playing in their eastern recruiting grounds is starting to affect their ability to draw elite recruits.

They are making do with CR because that is what must be done.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hey! some actual key tweets!

@gregwrubell

Husky25

Reaction Score
I stopped reading after this because conference realignment is not about great rivalries or fan interest either.
Conference realignment may not be about regionality....but great rivalries and fan interest are.

Reaction Score
Yep, that is the truth. However, it reinforces the fact that the upper level g5 schools have to be proactive and try to put together an alliance in fb and bb now to try and up their profile and create their own p6 conference or as close to it as they can. We obviously need to up the ante in fball to benefit from it. The G5 upper level schools can sit and around an wait, but that is likely fool's gold(unless some already have exit strategies). However, if you do not see this in short order, i suspect some do.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading after this because conference realignment is not about great rivalries or fan interest either.

And that is the sad thing about CR....

leads to weak synthetic versions of what a rivalry game used to be....like Civil War reenactors, who growl at each other on battlefields now spotted with baseball fields and park benches.

Reaction Score
Oh boy, I can hear the calls for football independence grow louder now. I'm sure we can have a 12 game schedule of all SEC teams!
A friend of mine who posts a little on the football board shared a novel idea with me the other day. He goes "I don't ever go on the CR board but I know you do and I wanna run idea for a thread by you. I had a great idea, what if we go Indy in football and rejoin the Big East?" I kinda went off on him about how this is not a unique idea at all and how it's been discussed ad naseum over here. I told him if thinks our schedule is bad now wait til we have to fill 12 games with mac cusa and sunbelt teams. He cited schedules from independent days playing teams like Miami Va Tech BC GA TECH Isu etc and he saw no reason we couldn't get those teams on the schedule now. Well number one, it is easy to play Miami and Be Tech when the game is set up by your league. He assumed we'd have no issue getting every Northeast P5 team on the schedule. Listing off teams like PSU (who we have never been able to schedule) and teams like RU BC Cuse Pitt (who have literally no incentive to play us ever). He retorted to my naysaying with P5 schools must play at least one G5 team as if we'd be that one team for 12 teams. He was surprised to here me say we would never get a PAC or SEC team to play in CT never mind after Halloween. It was eye opening and mind boggling that a season ticket holder and otherwise knowledgeable fan just didn't get it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom