Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's definitely not bad news. Still it's not like we know that her successor will be CT yes vote.

pj

Reaction Score
Eh. Groveling doesn't do it for me and I doubt it sways them. Just be cordial to the new leader. If we can schedule home and homes, let's do it. Miami gets a lot of students from the northeast and they should be fine with playing here. At most, move our home game to NYC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Miami isn't coming up here to play at the Rent when 1) we can't sell out our stadium and 2) they already come up here to play Syracuse and BC (and they can't sell out their stadiums either). There is absolutely no incentive for Miami to play football in Connecticut until the day ever arrived that we became conference mates. Scheduling a one-off road game isn't groveling, it's reality (and it would really help us build a relationship with Miami AND help with recruiting/exposure).

Basketball, on the other hand, is something that they would more than likely be interested in. Increased exposure to the prized hoops recruits of the northeast would benefit them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Miami isn't coming up here to play at the Rent when 1) we can't sell out our stadium and 2) they already come up here to play Syracuse and BC (and they can't sell out their stadiums either). There is absolutely no incentive for Miami to play football in Connecticut until the day ever arrived that we became conference mates. Scheduling a one-off road game isn't groveling, it's reality (and it would really help us build a relationship with Miami AND help with recruiting/exposure).

Basketball, on the other hand, is something that they would more than likely be interested in. Increased exposure to the prized hoops recruits of the northeast would benefit them.

And yet UConn has no reason to play Miami in basketball. They can't sell out their arena and aren't very good. We don't need access to Miami area recruits. I think the premise of these arrangements is that a trade can be made.

Dooley

Reaction Score
And yet UConn has no reason to play Miami in basketball. They can't sell out their arena and aren't very good. We don't need access to Miami area recruits. I think the premise of these arrangements is that a trade can be made.

Miami is in a P5 conference. We are not. The reality is that UCONN needs Miami far more than Miami needs UCONN. We're trying to sway some anti-UCONN votes in the ACC. Call it groveling or bowing or whatever - if it helps UCONN get out of the AAC, I'll fly to friggin' Miami and wax Shalala's bikini line. Now is not the time for UCONN to play the "we're too good for _____" nonsense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We need them more than they need us so that has to be factored in but yeah.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that UCONN basketball needs Miami basketball. We obviously don't. But our football program sure could use Miami on the schedule, even if it's one road game. If we have to schedule a H&H hoops series to get 1 road football game, then do it. This is more about mending fences with a school that clearly hates us. We need to build relationships with as many P5 schools as possible and it would be great if we could do something with Miami, now that Shalala is gone.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that UCONN basketball needs Miami basketball. We obviously don't. But our football program sure could use Miami on the schedule, even if it's one road game. If we have to schedule a H&H hoops series to get 1 road football game, then do it. This is more about mending fences with a school that clearly hates us. We need to build relationships with as many P5 schools as possible and it would be great if we could do something with Miami, now that Shalala is gone.

But why Miami? I know she's gone, but the football program is in tatters as well. And is there any school in the country that likes Miami? We need allies, I just don't know if that is the best one, even if you can't wait to break out that bikini wax. ;)

pj

Reaction Score

There's nothing easier than getting a road football game in exchange for nothing. That's worth millions of dollars to the host school. We could get a road football game with no return from every single member of the P5.

Offering such concessions isn't likely to get us into the P5.

We do need to build relationships but they need to be based on mutual respect, not desperate supplication and submission.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There's nothing easier than getting a road football game in exchange for nothing. That's worth millions of dollars to the host school. We could get a road football game with no return from every single member of the P5.

Offering such concessions isn't likely to get us into the P5.

We do need to build relationships but they need to be based on mutual respect, not desperate supplication and submission.

Which is why I suggested that rather than playing a road game against any P5 team, we offer up home-home basketball, women too, to get a home-home engagement. There are schools that could benefit from that arrangement, a school like UGA or Ole Miss, trying to be the third team from the SEC with UK and Florida, could point to UConn on the future schedule to recruits.

Reaction Score
They had our number back in 2002 and 2003. Johnnie Salmons

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Which is why I suggested that rather than playing a road game against any P5 team, we offer up home-home basketball, women too, to get a home-home engagement. There are schools that could benefit from that arrangement, a school like UGA or Ole Miss, trying to be the third team from the SEC with UK and Florida, could point to UConn on the future schedule to recruits.

I wish someone had thought of that. Those schools don't care about their men's basketball programs nevermind the women's.

pj

Reaction Score
SEC still has an academic year?

Start of June football to end of bowl season, and then spring semester (March-April). Popular majors include offensive line play, power running, team defense, and strength and conditioning.

Reaction Score
UConn is clearly trying to get on the B1G's radar indirectly but pushing hard for AAU status. On the opposite end of the spectrum, is this Florida St.'s way of showing that it is ready for SEC football?

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/11/jameis-winston-florida-state-disciplinary-hearing

By the way, Winston has hired David Cornwell, who has represented Major League Baseball stars Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in high-profile cases. How on earth does a 'amateur' college football player afford that guy?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn is clearly trying to get on the B1G's radar indirectly but pushing hard for AAU status. On the opposite end of the spectrum, is this Florida St.'s way of showing that it is ready for SEC football?

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/11/jameis-winston-florida-state-disciplinary-hearing

By the way, Winston has hired David Cornwell, who has represented Major League Baseball stars Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in high-profile cases. How on earth does a 'amateur' college football player afford that guy?
Could be pro bono in return for a future relationship, NCAA violations be damned. If he's convicted, he won't play ball anyway. Word is that the Tallahassee PD's bungling leave all kinds of room for doubt. They pretty much negated any possibility of a guilty verdict.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69