Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 49 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Larry Scott brokered a deal where those 4 schools would have joined the Pac-12. It got killed by the Pac-12 presidents when he brought it up to them - apparently he never asked the presidents how they would feel about the move before trying to move ahead with it.

Not exactly. A few months before offering the four schools mentioned the P-12 presidents (in a conference meeting) agreed to give authority to Scott to make expansion decisions. At the time of the offer to the four B-12 schools, no further approval was necessary beyond an acceptance. While this was happening, the bulk of the remaining B-12 schools were talking with the football members of the Big East, Oklahoma was looking into the SEC (but was handcuffed with OK St attached at the hip) Beebe (then B-12 commissioner) was trying to find a way to salvage the B-12 and Texas was looking to see what other offers were on the table.

The Pac to 16 expansion fell through when Beebe convinced the northern B-12 shools that they were better off becoming more subservient to UT and the conference (with ESPN's assistance) allowed Texas to remain and still launch the Longhorn network. Once this happened Marinatto sent flowers to Beebe and a few months later the B-12 kicked Beebe to the curb.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
gonna throw this in here since it discusses the tweets from todays meetings. I know I link this board a lot but its normally in relation to uconn and I only do it in relevant threads, mods if i'm doing something wrong just let me know: http://csnbbs.com/thread-692103.html

Reaction Score
Mr. SEC wrote this morning...but he never got around to his second point, which teams have the best chance of breaking into the P5 if there is a D4...
http://mrsec.com/2014/06/division-iv-created-get-ready-conference-realignment/

Help me understand; Realistically, how great is the importance of having a majority vote within the P5? How much value will conferences put on this if/when autonomy occurs? If it is as significant as Mr. SEC indicates this could stir things up quickly. Or is this just a non-factor because it's small potatoes?

Reaction Score
I think it's somewhat cut and dry with certain conferences. I believe The SEC will vote as a block. I also believe that The Big10 and Pac12 will as well. Most of the Big12 will vote the way of The SEC, but will Texas and Kansas? We have heard about how Texas and Kansas don't like the way The SEC does things. Will they vote in that direction? Will Oklahoma follow Texas like it usually does? What does The ACC do? I highly doubt that UVA will follow suit with what FSU wants. It's going to be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Key numbers are that the SEC wants 39 votes to be enough for passage, while others may want 43.

Pac12: 12
B1G: 14
ACC: 15
----------

SEC: 14
B12: 10
---------

If they grab the ACC, then that gives them 39.

Enough to circumvent the Pac12/B1G alliance.

Reaction Score
If they align based on the TV contracts are lined up, I think it's more likely that split will be:

ACC+SEC
Big Ten + Big 12
Pac 12

In reality I think it's most likely that ACC and Big 12 will generally have fractured voting while Big Ten+Pac 12 will vote as a bloc.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I didn't know Scott Gray is Mr. SEC
I bet you also didn't know Mr. SEC is the Materials Research Science & Engineering Center:

logo.png

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Key numbers are that the SEC wants 39 votes to be enough for passage, while others may want 43.

Pac12: 12
B1G: 14
ACC: 15
----------

SEC: 14
B12: 10
---------

If they grab the ACC, then that gives them 39.

Enough to circumvent the Pac12/B1G alliance.

I just don't see The ACC voting as one block. the differences are too great. Do you really think UVA will go with FSU? I think they will vote individually.

Reaction Score
I just don't see The ACC voting as one block. the differences are too great. Do you really think UVA will go with FSU? I think they will vote individually.
I agree. the ACC seems to be the biggest jumble of schools with no seeming common thread. Large public flagship, large private, small private, Catholic, LCC, it's all over the place.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed. But the College World Series team is LCC so not much a feather in the AAC's cap. That said, UCONN baseball is on a definite rise and the wave of Huskies hitting the Major Leagues right now will only help.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed. But the College World Series team is LCC so not much a feather in the AAC's cap. That said, UCONN baseball is on a definite rise and the wave of Huskies hitting the Major Leagues right now will only help.

I thought about that, and I still disagree. Those seniors and juniors on Louisville baseball all came to their team under a Big East umbrella. The sophomores came in under a Big East / AAC umbrella. That team for all intents and purposes is an AAC team. The ACC will be able to claim them next year, but they are still ours today...

Reaction Score
I thought about that, and I still disagree. Those seniors and juniors on Louisville baseball all came to their team under a Big East umbrella. The sophomores came in under a Big East / AAC umbrella. That team for all intents and purposes is an AAC team. The ACC will be able to claim them next year, but they are still ours today...
Plus we have some very good teams in the AAC (Houston). I like the symbolism because it's a good visual...just because the networks are in love with the P5 does not mean the gap in other sports is that wide. espn is getting a freaking bargain right now. b*st*rds.

Reaction Score
Teams like Texas, Kansas,Virginia, Georgia tech will not vote with the sec. These schools are aau also the sec may have some schools in there coference that wont vote with them Vanderbilt and Missouri also Florida thease schools are aau as well academics before athletics

Reaction Score
Teams like Texas, Kansas,Virginia, Georgia tech will not vote with the sec. These schools are aau also the sec may have some schools in there coference that wont vote with them Vanderbilt and Missouri also Florida thease schools are aau as well academics before athletics
So basically you're gonna have Alabama and maybe 9 other SEC schools along with a handful of Big 12 schools. Looks like the power has shifted already.

Reaction Score
So basically you're gonna have Alabama and maybe 9 other SEC schools along with a handful of Big 12 schools. Looks like the power has shifted already.
I think so why would a academic school play to a non academic school. This would narrow the gap a little bit for schools like Vanderbilt and Missouri when they have to play Alabama get rid of the oversign and make sure these kids have the grades to compete. Any schools within that have a problem with what the sec is trying to push through athletics over academics might decide to leave the SEC lets say maybe Missouri or Vanderbilt with no gor Mr. sec might want to watch what he wishes for. The big's stance is academics is top priority over athletics.

Reaction Score
I think Uconn is in the big so that leaves room for 5 more schools if the big 12 goes along with the sec will the big and pac come together and pick off the big 12 take enough schools and dissolve the gor. If mr. sec thinks it could spark off another round of expansion he could be right but the sec wont like this next round not one bit.

Reaction Score
UK might not be Vandy,or even UF ,but anything that has a negative impact on BB will not be looked upon kindly by them.

Reaction Score
I think it's somewhat cut and dry with certain conferences. I believe The SEC will vote as a block. I also believe that The Big10 and Pac12 will as well. Most of the Big12 will vote the way of The SEC, but will Texas and Kansas? We have heard about how Texas and Kansas don't like the way The SEC does things. Will they vote in that direction? Will Oklahoma follow Texas like it usually does? What does The ACC do? I highly doubt that UVA will follow suit with what FSU wants. It's going to be interesting to watch it all unfold.
More interesting will Texas whose looking to boost their academic profile vote against their own self interest? Vote with a hated expatriate like aTm? The ACC would probably have similar interests academicly with the B1G/Pac than the SEC/Big12 with Va/Dook/WF/BC/Cuse/Miami etc. I dont see a handfull of FB factories influencing the school's wanting to do things the right way otherwise let them call it minor league pro FB! I doubt many would be interested in that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More interesting will Texas whose looking to boost their academic profile vote against their own self interest? Vote with a hated expatriate like aTm? The ACC would probably have similar interests academicly with the B1G/Pac than the SEC/Big12 with Va/Dook/WF/BC/Cuse/Miami etc. I dont see a handfull of FB factories influencing the school's wanting to do things the right way otherwise let them call it minor league pro FB! I doubt many would be interested in that.
I agree with this 100 percent Texas does not like or want to be in the sec I have read numerous articles on this if the big 12 exploded Texas would go to the pac or big . The sec cannot buy a texas , Kansas or Oklahoma vote and why would ga tech duke Virginia want to agree with this they are top universities they became this way through academics not a win at all cost football factory

Reaction Score
Plus we have some very good teams in the AAC (Houston). I like the symbolism because it's a good visual...just because the networks are in love with the P5 does not mean the gap in other sports is that wide. espn is getting a freaking bargain right now. b*st*rds.
Bargain? It was a stickup! Outside of the top 12-15 FB factories their isn't 10 points separating the next 50/70 schools!! Thats why I figure the final P5 number schould be closer to 75 from the projected 68 schools on the inside!?!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I like the concept. Based on results, we are a power conference. And they should throw it in every face they can.

But Final Four Team???? Women's Final Four Team?? Hey AAC digital, it's called NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. Get it right please.
I thought about that but the rest aren't national championships, so it's fair.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's fair to judge a conference's power solely based on what the best team or top team(s) do in the postseason.

The SEC had a really good team (Florida) and a decent team that was talented and made a run in the tournament (Kentucky) but it was flat out a lousy conference this year. Now as I say that, although from top to bottom, the AAC stunk too, the top half of the league was better than the top half of the SEC. That probably won't be the case this year, though, with Louisville gone and presumably UConn taking a half step back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom