Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 47 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I disagree... a growing pie and shrinking mouths is exactly what everyone wants (it's just nobody wants to be the mouth cut out). Big East yesterday, Big12 or ACC tomorrow. Who know's how the next group is culled.

I think there are enough schools between the MWC and AAC to have 12-14 decent schools if the P6 is a possibility:
UNLV, Fresno, SDSU, BYU, Boise, Uconn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, and Memphis would be a decent base. Certainly not a P5, but a stronger version of the AAC.
SMU, Navy, ECU, Northern Ill - Many schools fit right in the middle-of-the-P5-pack. Change is good. One reason those P5 blowhards make me sick.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
They should have joined forces with MWC and BYU before this AAC started. But you have to have a balance between athletics and academics. I just don't know if there would be that much difference outside of a championship games and a cross over here and there. If they were to do this you stick with 12 teams.. No super conference. No splitting up the revenue 16 ways since it will be small already.

WEst
BYU, Boise, San Diego St., Fresno St., Colorado St., UNLV
East
Uconn, Cincy, UCF, Houston, Memphis, Temple

Sorry USF you have done nothing and there fore are out!

The problem is that Aresco already stated they are committed to fully cover the cost of living in each area. That means teams like Tulsa, Tulanes,USF will make this work. There is no reason for a split now since the AAC has teams commiting thing the resources necessary.

Reaction Score
Limbo Land said:
They should have joined forces with MWC and BYU before this AAC started. But you have to have a balance between athletics and academics. I just don't know if there would be that much difference outside of a championship games and a cross over here and there. If they were to do this you stick with 12 teams.. No super conference. No splitting up the revenue 16 ways since it will be small already. WEst BYU, Boise, San Diego St., Fresno St., Colorado St., UNLV East Uconn, Cincy, UCF, Houston, Memphis, Temple Sorry USF you have done nothing and there fore are out! The problem is that Aresco already stated they are committed to fully cover the cost of living in each area. That means teams like Tulsa, Tulanes,USF will make this work. There is no reason for a split now since the AAC has teams commiting thing the resources necessary.

There is always going to be a reason until the AAC is a power conference or until the better AAC schools join a P5 conference. The money and postseason access are not good enough now.

The conference you just laid out is a P5 nightmare. It would be much more compelling and it would produce highly ranked teams every year. However, somebody new would have to spearhead it and destroy the AAC and MWC.

Reaction Score
Dan Wolken @DanWolken · 5h
I need someone to explain to me why a Power 5 idea is a good one if it can't get 67% of the richest schools to vote for it

Dan Wolken @DanWolken · 4h
Mike Slive's "threat" regarding the voting threshold is over 39 votes vs 43 votes. Almost comical. But it will get done.

Dan Wolken @DanWolken · 4h
Would not solve their problems RT @PHIrociousApe: @DanWolken in your opinion, would it be a good move if they break away from the NCAA

Dan Wolken @DanWolken · 35m
For all the hype you’re going to hear about a breakaway, remember if it was in the 65’s best interests they’d have already done it.

Dan Wolken @DanWolken · 35m
The power conferences are in enough antitrust hot water as it is. That’s why Slive et al frame autonomy as student welfare, which it isn’t.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphyVerified account‏@McMurphyESPN 5h
If autonomy doesn’t pass, Mike Slive said would be possibility of a “Division 4” w/Power 5 schools

Brandon Almeida ‏@TU_BLA · 5h
@McMurphyESPN #antitrust #lawsuit #coming

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 4h
B1G is on the same page RT @McMurphyESPN If autonomy doesn’t pass, Mike Slive said would be possibility of a “Division 4” w/ Power 5 schools

Tommy Johnson ‏@tjtwostep · 4h
@McMurphyESPN @MrCFB has he talked to Stanford and UNC and Clemson and all the there he doesn't control about that?

Reaction Score
I Give Wolken Credit, In That He Seems To Be The Only One Of The These Writers That Doesn't Take The Words Of Slive And Delany As The Gospel. You Know Now Mcmurphy ChangeD His Avatar To The Acc Logo, He Should Just Change It To A Pair Of Knee Pads Since He Is Always So Eager To Blow The P5.

pj

Reaction Score
I know the Big Ten is already planning on adding one additional conference game to the B1G's sleight of conference games in the near future. There is even banter about perhaps adding a tenth conference game to the schedule. That seems to be a popular idea, at least among fans. So, the probability of adding an extra top-tier team to any given season's schedule is just a little greater, even if the conference is expanded. Win/loss/bowl eligibility issues aside, I know I'd much rather pay good money to watch Rutgers, Maryland, UConn, Virginia or Kansas play my home team, than watch a couple of body bag games. Even if my team is not playing Michigan, Michigan St., Penn State, Nebraska, or Ohio St., the atmosphere of the middle-of-the-pack games are a lot of fun, because they're so competitive.

If an increase to 10 conference games per year occurred simultaneously with UConn's accession as a #15 football school, it eases scheduling issues if B1G teams have previously scheduled UConn OOC in the leadup to the agreement. The "OOC" game with UConn just becomes the 10th conference game.

This is why you can't take B1G teams scheduling UConn as evidence we're not joining, even if you assume the ADs know the B1G's plans. It is more likely to be a good sign. At worst, it indicates the B1G schools like having UConn on their schedules. That's not a bad thing.

Reaction Score
If You're Following The Obannon Case, The P5 Is The Next "Cartel" That Is Going To Get Sued. I Think This Autonomy Bs Is About Creating A Straw Man Argument For Their Greed.

Reaction Score
Dan WolkenVerified account
‏@DanWolken Many ADs here at NACDA have mentioned the Shabazz Napier "hungry" comment to me. Judy Rose just blasted it as well during this panel.

What's this about?

Reaction Score
Dan WolkenVerified account
‏@DanWolken Many ADs here at NACDA have mentioned the Shabazz Napier "hungry" comment to me. Judy Rose just blasted it as well during this panel.

What's this about?

It's amazing that ADs like Rose can be so out of touch with how her own students live.

Every student on every campus understands what Shabazz was saying.

You are guaranteed 21 meals a week in the dining halls. Those halls are open limited hours. Beyond that, you are given credits so you can purchase food from any number of vendors on campus who have much longer hours. If your credits run out, and the dining halls are closed, and you have no money, where are you going to get your food?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
More on earlier tweet about the fictional/potential 2011 Big East/B12 merge...

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 14s
Big 12 not expanding & how Big 12/Big East nearly merged in 2011 http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11066269/big-12-ads-say-no-discussions-expansion…

"While conference expansion has slowed considerably, Luck revealed a plan he had three years ago that would have merged teams from the Big 12 and Big East conferences.

In September 2011, the Big East was stunned by the departures of Pitt and Syracuse, and the Big 12 was in danger of losing four schools to the Pac-12.

"My favorite story that hasn't been written," Luck said. "After Syracuse and Pittsburgh (announced they were leaving for the ACC), that was in the same time frame that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were playing footsie with (Pac-12 commissioner) Larry (Scott) and the Big East was a mess."

So Luck began cold-calling athletic directors at Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State with a proposal.

"I didn't know those guys from Adam," Luck said. "I knew the schools. I told them, 'Your conference may fall apart. You guys look like you might get left behind. Why don't we take all of you and TCU, which was kind of homeless."

Luck's plan, which also had the support of Louisville athletic Tom Jurich, was also to add UCF for a 12-team Big East divided into two divisions: West: Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU and Louisville; East: UConn, Cincinnati, Rutgers, West Virginia, South Florida and UCF.

"I remember thinking: 'That's not a bad conference,'" Luck said. "And we would have kept the affiliation with the (Big East) basketball schools, because they loved the addition of Kansas. They (the Big 12 schools) also liked it. They were nervous as hell, too. We had a series of phone calls. That was sort of our best option."

Luck said he had three or four phone discussions with the Big 12 schools. Then-Big East commissioner John Marinatto was not involved in the discussions and no formal offer was extended, but the Big 12 schools -- if left behind by the schools headed to the Pac-12 -- were prepared for the merger.

"At that point in time, we were ready to flip the switch," Currie said."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's amazing that ADs like Rose can be so out of touch with how her own students live.

Every student on every campus understands what Shabazz was saying.

You are guaranteed 21 meals a week in the dining halls. Those halls are open limited hours. Beyond that, you are given credits so you can purchase food from any number of vendors on campus who have much longer hours. If your credits run out, and the dining halls are closed, and you have no money, where are you going to get your food?

Oh - that.

I was thinking about the "hungry Huskies" comment during the tourney and what AD's could possibly be taking issue with that.

Reaction Score
Oliver Luck seems to think West Virginia brings more value than a school like UConn. As always, Luck is talking out of his butt, and we know for a fact the Catholics opposed adding more teams, esp. from the B12.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Oliver Luck seems to think West Virginia brings more value than a school like UConn. As always, Luck is talking out of his butt, and we know for a fact the Catholics opposed adding more teams, esp. from the B12.
This isn't quite news, the B12-BE merger rumor was going around back then. Luck isn't completely talking out of his butt; the Catholics (urged by Fox) eventually split and negotiated the rights for the Big East name anyway. If the TX/OU to the Pac-16 scenario happened, the subsequent BE-B12 merger would just have accelerated the C7 leaving.

Reaction Score
This isn't quite news, the B12-BE merger rumor was going around back then. Luck isn't completely talking out of his butt; the Catholics (urged by Fox) eventually split and negotiated the rights for the Big East name anyway. If the TX/OU to the Pac-16 scenario happened, the subsequent BE-B12 merger would just have accelerated the C7 leaving.

I acknowledged that the talk was there but we already heard from insiders that the Catholics were NOT going to go for it, and this was at lest 2 years before they talked to Fox.

Reaction Score

WVU is in a division 1A/FBS intercollegiate athletics conference currently labeled as "P5", as determined by television revenue around football and potentially soon, NCAA rules and regulations as well as television revenue - and we are not in such an intercollegiate conference. Unfortunately, Luck can talk out his butt all he wants, and think whatever he wants, and the Catholics of the now defunct Big East conference, can protest whatever they want whenever they want, and it won't help change anything for us - then - or now.

Reaction Score
WVU is in a division 1A/FBS intercollegiate athletics conference currently labeled as "P5", as determined by television revenue around football and potentially soon, NCAA rules and regulations as well as television revenue - and we are not in such an intercollegiate conference. Unfortunately, Luck can talk out his butt all he wants, and think whatever he wants, and the Catholics of the now defunct Big East conference, can protest whatever they want whenever they want, and it won't help change anything for us - then - or now.

???????????????

Reaction Score

I hear you. I am tired of dissing schools that got a seat when the music stopped and are in a better spot than us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom