Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 45 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
You do realize that ADs have nothing to do with changing conferences right? In a few isolated cases they have input or even some level of autonomy to negotiate, but in most cases it all happens at the presidential level and most athletic directors are not given routine (if any) updates on realignment discussions.

Like I pointed out earlier, Kevin Anderson was not informed of his schools changing leagues until a few days before it happened even though they had been talking for 6 months and had an NDA signed for nearly 4 months. I assure you that not only is it not impossible to think the Illinois AD could be out of the loop, it is a likelihood.

Actually, Kevin Anderson was in on the original meetings between Maryland and The Big10 on October 12th. At least according to The Washington Post detailing how the move was made. Anderson told Loh he was crazy for even thinking of moving, but went with him to the October 12th meeting with the Big10.

Collegial maybe, but in College Park, even the thought of such a meeting was unconventional. When Loh told his athletic director, Anderson responded, “Wallace, you are not serious? You realize this is such a hot issue with our fans. You don’t want to go that direction.”

But acting on Kirwan’s advice, Loh accepted the meeting. On Oct. 12, he, Anderson and two of Anderson’s deputies — Kelly Mehrtens and Nathan Pine — flew to Chicago, where they met Delany and other Big Ten officials at the Hilton at O’Hare Airport.

They also signed a NDA before they met. From the same article:

Before the meeting could take place, the Big Ten asked Maryland officials to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Delany did not want public discourse. A year earlier, when the Big Ten had inquired about several Big 12 schools, conference officials initially wanted transparency in the process. Instead, the public discussion led to mayhem

Anderson did know and knew before there was an NDA.

Reaction Score
The hive gets angry when people say stuff like that.

My biggest worry is that we can see the ropes being thrown up around the P5 and there is absolutely no movement towards further expansion. (Please don't bother me with stories about how quiet it always is before storm - nothing is happening because nothing is happening.)

It seems impossible that a school with a $65-70M athletic is on the wrong side, but we are - no one with a bigger budget is outside of the P5 and a couple of dozen in the P5 are behind us. (I have a feeling that we'll fall down that list pretty quickly as the P5 spends their booty - I think $80-85M athletic budgets will be the norm and we'll be marked down by comparison.)

Again, it seems impossible, but right now, it's the odds-on scenario.
The gap in revenue generated by the different conferences in the P5 coupled with this idea that NYC and the Northeast is still up for grabs suggests the movement is not over.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: Sources told me #ACC has some big breaking news today. Can’t wait

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UCONN13KC said:
He's such a puppet. ACC going to play OOC games as in-conference?
this or they finally reached a deal with SEC for scheduling agreement

Reaction Score
Well I'm just going to assume the ACC kicked out ND and is adding UConn and Cincy. Only possible scenario, right?

Reaction Score
They're probably going to announce the renaming of the NCAA Lacrosse Tournament as the Duke Invitational sponsored by Twitter.

Reaction Score
Kind of ironic the new ACC logo's colors resemble those of the Fighting Irish.

Reaction Score
So your stance is no matter what evidence doesn't exist - the fact it doesn't exist is evidence of the opposite.

Oliver Stone couldn't tell a story with your narrative.

Your glass isn't half full. You've filled the Stanley Cup with Natural Ice and you're drinking it on Emile Francis' lawn.

You've created an alternate reality and then decided to attack anyone who doesn't exist there.

The absence of optimism in your posts has always assured me you are the biggest believer of all. . .

Reaction Score
They're probably going to announce the renaming of the NCAA Lacrosse Tournament as the Duke Invitational sponsored by Twitter.

Fitting, since the Men's and Women's bball tournaments should be known as the UConn invitational.

Reaction Score
"American Athletic Conference can be a power conference one day, commissioner says"
Not sure if this was posted already....
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...spring-meetings-0528-20140527,0,6676408.story

"We embrace the notion of a level playing field," Aresco said. "We've seen some statements that suggest a level playing field concept should be abandon. We want to take care of the 21st century student-athlete, but do you really want to go back to the mid 20th century when it was more of a wild west atmosphere in college sports? We spend decades and decades trying to create fairness and competitive balance.

"We shouldn't be professionalizing what we do, we should be doing things for student-athletes. We can do more. We have greater resources — and even our conference has greater resources than people think — and we know the equity guys have more and there's nothing wrong with that. But you don't want it to became disengaged from the student body of the university. You want to do it within reason."

Reaction Score
Greater chance of happening: The American becomes a power conference, or UConn joins the Big 10?

Reaction Score
Greater chance of happening: The American becomes a power conference, or UConn joins the Big 10?

LOL - not even close, UCONN to Big Ten.

I'm holding out hope the ACC announcement gets us out of our current situation, however slim the chances are.

Reaction Score
UCONN joins the Big 10. I don't agree with it though. There are far too many quality schools in the AAC to be left behind.

Reaction Score

Too many groups worked too hard at dismantling the old Big East. They will not allow The American become a Power Conference.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It does not benefit the Other 5 conferences or Notre Dame to split up the pie any further. The Other 5 conferences were looking to kick the Big East out of the BCS ten years ago. Then, their job was almost taken care of for them by the Big 12 destabilization 5 years later, but that didn't happen. The only way the AAC becomes a power conference is if half merges with the leftovers of a Texas-less Big 12. IF UConn is included in that shake up, they will still have travel issues, unless the Big Ten pick them up.

Reaction Score
It does not benefit the Other 5 conferences or Notre Dame to split up the pie any further. The Other 5 conferences were looking to kick the Big East out of the BCS ten years ago. Then, their job was almost taken care of for them by the Big 12 destabilization 5 years later, but that didn't happen. The only way the AAC becomes a power conference is if half merges with the leftovers of a Texas-less Big 12. IF UConn is included in that shake up, they will still have travel issues, unless the Big Ten pick them up.

Did you see the Jay Bilas tweet today?

Reaction Score
It still puzzles me....sure, current P5 members want to eliminate outside competition and encroachment. But wouldn't espn and the networks want to include as many other programs as possible? Doesn't more = more? More fans = more money.

Reaction Score
It still puzzles me....sure, current P5 members want to eliminate outside competition and encroachment. But wouldn't espn and the networks want to include as many other programs as possible? Doesn't more = more? More fans = more money.
You would think more=more content for you televise, but maybe people would rather watch Wake Forest than UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom