Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If (when) the third subdivision is implemented, I don't think the cutoff point is going to be drawn arbitrarily at threshold of the 64th team.

What they'll do is set the bar slightly lower in terms of revenue, but require a higher number of varsity sports sponsored as well as full COA. Initially, the five power conferences will be grandfathered in and anyone wishing to join will either a) require an invite from an existing conference or b) must form a new league. However, the new league will need at least 6 or 8 teams that all meet the existing eligibility thresholds.

From what I've heard, and more from my own educated speculation, it will be something like $25-30 million annually in revenue, attendance of at least 20,000 over a rolling period, at least 16 varsity sports sponsored with 200 or more FTE grants-in-aid and at least $2,500 per year per equivalent scholarship in COA.

This seems reasonable and plausible. I still don't see how the teams in that 'division' but outside of a conference aren't screwed.

Reaction Score
If (when) the third subdivision is implemented, I don't think the cutoff point is going to be drawn arbitrarily at threshold of the 64th team.

What they'll do is set the bar slightly lower in terms of revenue, but require a higher number of varsity sports sponsored as well as full COA. Initially, the five power conferences will be grandfathered in and anyone wishing to join will either a) require an invite from an existing conference or b) must form a new league. However, the new league will need at least 6 or 8 teams that all meet the existing eligibility thresholds.

From what I've heard, and more from my own educated speculation, it will be something like $25-30 million annually in revenue, attendance of at least 20,000 over a rolling period, at least 16 varsity sports sponsored with 200 or more FTE grants-in-aid and at least $2,500 per year per equivalent scholarship in COA.

This seems to be the consensus view on the different boards of how breakaway will look like - it'll probably be closer to 80 teams total when all said and done made up of P5, AAC, and the remaining teams that can afford to spend that much on athletics.

Reaction Score
This seems reasonable and plausible. I still don't see how the teams in that 'division' but outside of a conference aren't screwed.

Sadly, that's what ultimately will happen. What's worse is that if they bump the conference membership minimum to eight teams, even a league like the AAC might not meet the requirements for inclusion, as-is. So in order for those teams to move up, they'd have to find an even bigger hodgepodge of members to make it work. That could wind up seeing a league that stretches from Storrs to San Diego and points in between.

The only bright side is that I suspect they'll still funnel *some* revenue down to the middle subdivision and FCS as they do now, or they might just wind up combining the leftovers of FBS with FCS.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sadly, that's what ultimately will happen. What's worse is that if they bump the conference membership minimum to eight teams, even a league like the AAC might not meet the requirements for inclusion, as-is. So in order for those teams to move up, they'd have to find an even bigger hodgepodge of members to make it work. That could wind up seeing a league that stretches from Storrs to San Diego and points in between.

The only bright side is that I suspect they'll still funnel *some* revenue down to the middle subdivision and FCS as they do now, or they might just wind up combining the leftovers of FBS with FCS.

While the revenue is important it still seems impossible to recruit once the delination becomes that clear.

Reaction Score
While the revenue is important it still seems impossible to recruit once the delination becomes that clear.

I still think UConn fans need not worry, though. When the dust settles, they'll wind up in a major league IMHO. I still believe it will eventually be the Big Ten.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I still think UConn fans need not worry, though. When the dust settles, they'll wind up in a major league IMHO. I still believe it will eventually be the Big Ten.

Hope you are right. To me UConn to the Big Ten is a creation of Boneyard posters who have talked each other into it.

Reaction Score
Hope you are right. To me UConn to the Big Ten is a creation of Boneyard posters who have talked each other into it.

If it helps, there are a lot of Big Ten fans and non-Big Ten fans alike that think it's eventually going to happen. So it's not just Boneyarders that think it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If it helps, there are a lot of Big Ten fans and non-Big Ten fans alike that think it's eventually going to happen. So it's not just Boneyarders that think it.

You mean the ones posting here or a few stray people in Connecticut?

Sadly it's a figment of some strong imaginations based on nothing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The hive gets angry when people say stuff like that.

My biggest worry is that we can see the ropes being thrown up around the P5 and there is absolutely no movement towards further expansion. (Please don't bother me with stories about how quiet it always is before storm - nothing is happening because nothing is happening.)

It seems impossible that a school with a $65-70M athletic is on the wrong side, but we are - no one with a bigger budget is outside of the P5 and a couple of dozen in the P5 are behind us. (I have a feeling that we'll fall down that list pretty quickly as the P5 spends their booty - I think $80-85M athletic budgets will be the norm and we'll be marked down by comparison.)

Again, it seems impossible, but right now, it's the odds-on scenario.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Wallowing in negativity is a favorite pastime of many in this State. Pessimism is a badge of honor too many wear proudly.

I have no idea if or when UConn will end up in the B1G or some comparable conference, though I do think its more likely than not that we will eventually. In the meantime, I'll excitedly watch Ollie, Diaco and the others grow their programs while optimistically awaiting UConn's ascension to a sustainable conference of similarly situated institutions.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
The hive gets angry when people say stuff like that.

My biggest worry is that we can see the ropes being thrown up around the P5 and there is absolutely no movement towards further expansion. (Please don't bother me with stories about how quiet it always is before storm - nothing is happening because nothing is happening.)

It seems impossible that a school with a $65-70M athletic is on the wrong side, but we are - no one with a bigger budget is outside of the P5 and a couple of dozen in the P5 are behind us. (I have a feeling that we'll fall down that list pretty quickly as the P5 spends their booty - I think $80-85M athletic budgets will be the norm and we'll be marked down by comparison.)

Again, it seems impossible, but right now, it's the odds-on scenario.

EDIT: Wallowing in negativity is a favorite pastime of many UConn fans in and out of State.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
EDIT: Wallowing in negativity is a favorite pastime of many UConn fans in and out of State.

Reality does not equal negativity. That some prefer to enjoy fantasies to reality does not make realists negative.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Reality does not equal negativity. That some prefer to enjoy fantasies to reality does not make realists negative.

Reality is that UConn is currently not B1G nor a member of any other P5 league.

The reality of UConn's conference home in 2018, 2020 0r 2022, is neither known by me or any other optimist, nor by Fishy, you or any of the other pessimists.

Time will tell...

Reaction Score
The salaries we are paying to our coaches tell me the administration has yet to give the ship. Hell, the state's STEM investment and the faculty hiring initiative are also telling. There must still be a decent chance we land on our feet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reality is that UConn is currently not B1G nor a member of any other P5 league.

The reality of UConn's conference home in 2018, 2020 0r 2022, is neither known by me or any other optimist, nor by Fishy, you or any of the other pessimists.

Time will tell...

I can't speak for Fishy but I'm not talking about 2022. I'm talking about the posters who have talked themselves into something near term.

The problem with 2020 or 2022 is that you are running a marathon but limping on mile 10.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The salaries we are paying to our coaches tell me the administration has yet to give the ship. Hell, the state's STEM investment and the faculty hiring initiative are also telling. There must still be a decent chance we land on our feet.

They have not nor should they. I'd be careful equating the university advancement with athletics.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't speak for Fishy but I'm not talking about 2022. I'm talking about the posters who have talked themselves into something near term.

The problem with 2020 or 2022 is that you are running a marathon but limping on mile 10.

Either the AAC has to 4x its revenue (minimum) in the ESPN "look in" or UConn needs to join the Big East. There is no way to last 10 years on the current revenue stream.

Reaction Score
You mean the ones posting here or a few stray people in Connecticut?

Sadly it's a figment of some strong imaginations based on nothing.

No, I'm not talking about this board. There are a lot of places I frequent in Big Ten country that believe UConn will eventually be taken. The question is more about who will be the other team(s) and when.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, I'm not talking about this board. There are a lot of places I frequent in Big Ten country that believe UConn will eventually be taken. The question is more about who will be the other team(s) and when.

LOL yes because there isn't anyone to take for a decade. Oh hey we'd love to want to add you - it's just every other school except Cincinnati is unavailable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Boneyard dictionary -

Optimism - Pretending that we're in year two of a five-year Big Ten plan.

Pessimism - Knowing that we're not.

Reaction Score
Either the AAC has to 4x its revenue (minimum) in the ESPN "look in" or UConn needs to join the Big East. There is no way to last 10 years on the current revenue stream.

Big East is a dead end conference. The conference TV ratings were so bad this year, it is the fastest way to irrelevance and lower payouts. UConn is never going back. Please stop beating this dead horse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big East is a dead end conference. The conference TV ratings were so bad this year, it is the fastest way to irrelevance and lower payouts. UConn is never going back. Please stop beating this dead horse.

The AAC at $2MM a year is a dead end conference. The money is so bad this year, it is the fastest way to irrelevance and even lower payouts. UConn can not stay here. Please stop beating this dead horse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It's actually worse than that. Most of this Board is fine with our current situation because they believe a Big Ten invitation is imminent.

Reaction Score
The AAC at $2MM a year is a dead end conference. The money is so bad this year, it is the fastest way to irrelevance and even lower payouts. UConn can not stay here. Please stop beating this dead horse.

So UConn should change conferences and drop football (or as you have said, go Independant in football) for less than $2 million in TV revenues per year? That is the definition of insanity!

RMoore1999

Reaction Score

Why not be a generous Queen Bee and enlighten the Hive just a wee bit as to what the pessimists "know" so the optimists may be put out of their misery to a quick death befitting a worker bee?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom