Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 42 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPN ACC ‏@ESPN_ACC · 6h

Swofford says a potential ACC Network is still several years down the road, if it does happen.

The ACC missed the boat on a network. They should have skipped the 2003 raid and instead approached the Big East on partnerships including a network. Neither had enough on their own, but they could have been very successful together. They could have owned the winter.

Reaction Score
@TomHolmoe
The official Twitter account of BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe

Matthew Crawford ‏@Thorlongus22 · May 2

@TomHolmoe As a fan of BYU sports. I am very concerned about where BYU stands with the big boys. I'm worried we will be left out. Response?

Tom Holmoe ‏@TomHolmoe · May 4

@Thorlongus22 Matt, join the club. The ever shifting landscape of college athletics IS unsettling to us all. I get up everyday to battle.

Matthew Crawford ‏@Thorlongus22 · May 4

@TomHolmoe thanks for the response. Do you think we will ever be included with the P5?

Tom Holmoe ‏@TomHolmoe · May 4

@Thorlongus22 That's the vision!

Tom Holmoe ‏@TomHolmoe · May 12

Folks, I feel like scheduling is proceeding in a positive manner. I suggest you not react to every press release as if it's final.

Sherman ‏@Skurtz91 · May 12

@TomHolmoe I think I speak for a lot of cougar fans out there that we would not like to be on the outside looking in at the big boys.

Tom Holmoe ‏@TomHolmoe · May 12

@Skurtz91 Nor would I...

Aaron Beagley ‏@Cougarblitz84 · May 15

@TomHolmoe are you nervous about what the future holds for BYU football with all this P5 stuff?

Tom Holmoe ‏@TomHolmoe · May 15

@Cougarblitz84 It's ALL of us, against ALL of them! Nervous? Does that help? Focus on the task. To be the best, you have to play the best.

Cougar Softball opens NCAA Tourney with 7-2 win over Northwestern. Winner's bracket game tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/45yJg1O881

Matthew Crawford ‏@Thorlongus22 · May 15

@TomHolmoe shouldn't you be trying to get BYU into s P5 conference instead of going to a softball game?

Tom Holmoe

‏@TomHolmoe @Thorlongus22 Winning NCAA games is a beautiful thing and I'll take ALL the help we can get. I AM working!

Matthew Crawford ‏@Thorlongus22 · May 15

@MichaeltheRowan @TomHolmoe well hopefully this time BYU will not be difficult and get in a conference when they have a chance.

@Thorlongus22 @MichaeltheRowan We will not make it difficult.

Jared G ‏@jmgcougman · May 16

Latest Big 12 rumor: Y snubbed in '10 & '11 due to demands that @byutv get occasional 2nd Tier rights & multiple game guarantee. @TomHolmoe

Tom Holmoe ‏@TomHolmoe · May 16

@jmgcougman @byutv Not true at all. Quit spreading rumors!

Reaction Score
You know what is particularly unnerving, I listen to Sirius radio a lot during the day and Jack Arute( a CT native who never supports anything CT unless it involves racing, who takes time out of his show occasionally to talk about how small time CT football is and who is the biggest proponent the p5 Death Star) speaks to a lot of coaches and Ad's of the g-5 conferences and I have yet to hear any of them rail against what is happening to them. It is absolutely maddening.

However, today the UNLV football coach Did go after the NCAA today for their APR mess. It was refreshing to hear although perhaps not the smartest approach considering they are probable still paying for the fight "Tark" put up against the NCAA

Reaction Score
If Warde is not spending all of his time trying to get Uconn into a P5 conference then he is either leaving or should be fired. Because there will not be an athletic department of importance to run in a couple years if Uconn is still in the AAC.

I do think he realizes this.

Reaction Score
You know what is particularly unnerving, I listen to Sirius radio a lot during the day and Jack Arute( a CT native who never supports anything CT unless it involves racing, who takes time out of his show occasionally to talk about how small time CT football is and who is the biggest proponent the p5 Death Star) speaks to a lot of coaches and Ad's of the g-5 conferences and I have yet to hear any of them rail against what is happening to them. It is absolutely maddening.

However, today the UNLV football coach Did go after the NCAA today for their APR mess. It was refreshing to hear although perhaps not the smartest approach considering they are probable still paying for the fight "Tark" put up against the NCAA
The last time I listened to Arute's show was when a CT caller called in after the Buffalo game and asked about the situation with P being fired and CR. Arute told the caller that UCONN was VERY dysfunctional starting from the top down..and that they needed to take a VERY HARD look at themselves in the mirror! He had lashed back at a caller who had called for P's head after the Towson game saying he didn't talk about jobs that weren't open (he was DEFINITELY a P homer/supporter). He has supported UCONN in the past, but has definitely been taking shots at them since Herbst and Manuel have been there. Nice to know that he takes these shots from his home studio in CT.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerCBS · May 21
For talk of BYU getting muscled out of Power 5 scheduling, how many schools, TV rev aside, are really more powerful than BYU? Def not all 65

The last little bit is the most important when we start talking splits, grandfathered deadweights, and long down the road...possibly lawsuits. The P5 conferences can't continue to shut out schools because they say so. BYU not being in a P5 model is absolutely ridiculous - I'd say they are a bigger football brand than more than half of the B12 and PAC12 conferences. They'd be a good partner with us in 5-10 years for a lawsuit if we aren't any closer to a P5 conference than where we are today.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 5h
Wyoming AD seems to think not everyone in the Mountain West will do “full cost of attendance” http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/wyoming-athletics-prepares-to-face-potential-ncaa-autonomy-changes/article_262c3059-5a7a-579b-9451-787d3c2190c0.html…

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 5h
Wyoming AD seems to think not everyone in the Mountain West will do “full cost of attendance” http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/wyoming-athletics-prepares-to-face-potential-ncaa-autonomy-changes/article_262c3059-5a7a-579b-9451-787d3c2190c0.html…

Interesting coincidence. The 36 million in revenue figure that the Wyoming AD cites they need to be at to afford COA? That's the cutline for the 64 top revenue programs in the country according to this link.

Reaction Score
That is a good article. I keep expecting a new league to form on an east/west split, of schools that want to go all in. They have to fight fort equal access to the playoffs.

Reaction Score
That is a good article. I keep expecting a new league to form on an east/west split, of schools that want to go all in. They have to fight fort equal access to the playoffs.
I'm guessing that is what will eventually happen, an East/West league (or two leagues with scheduling/championship game alignment) to accomodate those non P5 schools who are committed to going all in. This "thinning" process by the P5's will have the desirred effect, and you probably end up with another 20+/- schools outside the P5 who make a run at playing by the same rules that will eventually be established by the P5. I wish them all luck and hope they find every success, as I truly believe UConn will be in a P5 when the dust settles.

Reaction Score
Interesting coincidence. The 36 million in revenue figure that the Wyoming AD cites they need to be at to afford COA? That's the cutline for the 64 top revenue programs in the country according to this link.

Landthieves has a thread titled: Conference Realignment Part VII where some were kicking around similar cutoffs, which could include as many as 70+ teams. I'm not sure if the link will work but here goes.

http://www.landthieves.com/board/sh...ally-tied-the-room-together-did-it-not/page48

If the P5 continues to shut out UConn, it should adopt an "if you can't join 'em, beat 'em" policy and offer its ten "franchise" players each a Corvette. Per the article, it works out to be about the same cost, perhaps slightly less. I'm thinking we may get some 4-star recruits. . .

Reaction Score

Long time lurker first time poster. What's really interesting to me is if you take the 64 teams from that cutoff and add the 16 private schools that were a part of an AQ conference during the BCS era (technically there were only 15 but I'm adding BYU because they deserve to be) that equals a nice round 80 number. I think the split will occur with somewhere between a minimum of 64 and maximum of 80 schools, with either four or five conferences. With 80 schools we could see either five conferences with 16 schools each or four conferences with 20 schools each. With UConn at 42 on that list you would assume they'd get in no matter what, but its a catch 22 because I also think that if there are 80 schools in the power league and it consolidates into four conferences of 20 teams each, there is less of a chance UConn gets into the B1G, which is where I prefer them. It doesn't seem right that if there are MORE slots available in the B1G that its LESS likely for UConn to get one but here is my theory...

IF the conferences consolidate down to four AND 80 teams are in play then the following happens....

3 conferences (B1G, SEC and PAC) are safe while the ACC or B12 will die and along with it the GOR for that conference. Jim Delany will be after the best of either conference.
If the B1G has a chance for Texas they will go after them and likely add Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech. I realize KSU, OSU and TTU are not desirable to the B1G but these schools will likely be tied legally to their better halves and if the B1G can get Texas/OU/KU i think they will make exceptions for KSU/OSU/TTU.

The other option for the B1G would be to carve out the best of the ACC by taking Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Notre Dame. Some say the B1G will never take Duke because they are private and the B1G can control the state of NC with just UNC but I don't think UNC and Duke would ever agree to split. Also some say FSU is a no go because of no AAU and ND will never join a conference but A) UConn's argument is that they are close to attaining AAU status and so is FSU according to some sources and B) if the B1G destroys Notre Dame's home again I think they will be forced to join the B1G, no way they would join the SEC, B12 or PAC.

So in either of those cases, if the B1G has 6 available slots and the ability to carve out schools from either the B12 or the ACC then they will likely not take UConn. My preference...80 schools, 5 conferences, 16 schools each. If all five current power conferences stay intact and 80 schools are invited to the new power league UConn has its best chance at the B1G because ACC and B12 schools would likely be off limits to the B1G.

My ideal B1G final set up:

East - Connecticut, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers
North - Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Purdue
Central - Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Northwestern
West - Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Northwestern and Wisconsin could be switched to provider more competitive balance. If Notre Dame continues with their snubbing of the B1G I would like to see like the B1G take a chance at Missouri. I know Missouri is likely solid in the SEC because its the best conference, but Missouri has always had an interest in the B1G so why not try again. If you can sway a school away from the SEC then the B1G would have successfully stolen teams from the B12, ACC, AAC and SEC which would really prove its dominance (at least financially).

North - Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern
Central - Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin
West - Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska

And finally...because I have a soft spot for Iowa State, my ultimate (albeit not in a million years likely so don't start giving me all the reasons why Iowa State will never be in the B1G because I already know them) scenario. Screw Notre Dame and screw GORs.

North - Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern
Central - Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin
West - Iowa, Iowa Sate, Minnesota, Nebraska

20 team B1G scenarios:

1 - The B12 annex

East - Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
West - Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern
North - Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin
South - Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech

2 - The ACC annex

East - Maryland, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
West - Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Central - Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue
South - Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia

Hope for the max 80 schools getting into P5 conferences NOT P4 conferences, that way the B1G is forced to look elsewhere besides B12 and ACC, if so no way UConn doesn't go B1G.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If (when) the third subdivision is implemented, I don't think the cutoff point is going to be drawn arbitrarily at threshold of the 64th team.

What they'll do is set the bar slightly lower in terms of revenue, but require a higher number of varsity sports sponsored as well as full COA. Initially, the five power conferences will be grandfathered in and anyone wishing to join will either a) require an invite from an existing conference or b) must form a new league. However, the new league will need at least 6 or 8 teams that all meet the existing eligibility thresholds.

From what I've heard, and more from my own educated speculation, it will be something like $25-30 million annually in revenue, attendance of at least 20,000 over a rolling period, at least 16 varsity sports sponsored with 200 or more FTE grants-in-aid and at least $2,500 per year per equivalent scholarship in COA.

Reaction Score
If (when) the third subdivision is implemented, I don't think the cutoff point is going to be drawn arbitrarily at threshold of the 64th team.

What they'll do is set the bar slightly lower in terms of revenue, but require a higher number of varsity sports sponsored as well as full COA. Initially, the five power conferences will be grandfathered in and anyone wishing to join will either a) require an invite from an existing conference or b) must form a new league. However, the new league will need at least 6 or 8 teams that all meet the existing eligibility thresholds.

From what I've heard, and more from my own educated speculation, it will be something like $25-30 million annually in revenue, attendance of at least 20,000 over a rolling period, at least 16 varsity sports sponsored with 200 or more FTE grants-in-aid and at least $2,500 per year per equivalent scholarship in COA.
"attendance" = "enrollment" or "athletic event attendance"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom