Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I said I preferred MSG to the Meadowlands on the basketball board and got killed for it lol.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I said I preferred MSG to the Meadowlands on the basketball board and got killed for it lol.
That's not why you got killed on the Basketball Board. You got killed there because you somehow think (at least you implied) that UConn had a choice of the four major venues in Greater New York City, and picked the IZOD Center, with better options available. It is true that the four major sports no longer use the IZOD Center, but it is hardly abandoned. It is still maintained for non-sporting events.

Of course MSG is great for watching basketball. but their two main tenants are well into their season by December. Same goes for the Barclays (Islanders and Nets). Any event other than the NBA or NHL probably has to be planned either well in advance or around those leagues and franchises. (I.e. they contractually get first pick). A match-up of this magnitude will most likely require a weekend date to maximize revenue, and rare is the multi-purpose arena, with both anchor tenants in season, free for a weekend date.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I never once said I thought we had a choice.

Early reports said MSG, so when it turned out to be Meadowlands I was disappointed. The Meadowlands is a dump.

That's literally the only point I made.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Early reports said MSG, so when it turned out to be Meadowlands I was disappointed. The Meadowlands is a dump.

Correct. You never said it (or wrote it, as the case may be), but that was implication. Great match up, terrible venue.

Husky25 said:
Perhaps MSG wasn't available. Heaven forbid we step out of our comfort zones. The Meadowlands is a relatively short drive...and now UConn can prove to the Big Ten that it owns the entire NYC DMA and not just Manhattan North. Silver linings, People.
ConnHuskBask said
It's great game and still accessible for our fans. I'm just commenting on how you said it's not a big difference to you between meadow lands and the garden. To me, it's a huge difference

If I am able to go (looking good so far), my friends and I will probably meet up with my brother-in-law in North Jersey and then drive from the his house, or I will drive from somewhere in CT. Either way I'll be driving or riding in a car. I said it wasn't much of a difference because of physical location of the venue, not the venue itself.

Reaction Score

You were pissing on a good development (the neutral, metro NY game with Duke) because it wasn't perfect. You are entitled to express your opinion, but I and others thought it was over the top to be searching for a negative in a good development.

No one challenged the conclusion that MSG is a better venue for hoops than Izod.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Guys, it's a message board to express opinions about UConn. If I somehow dampened your enthusiasm by suggesting I wished initial reports of a MSG game were true as opposed to a facility I really don't like then sorry.

I wasn't trying to piss on anyone or piss on the game which I thought was clear by saying it's a great get that I'll be at regardless of location.

On to the key tweets.

Reaction Score
Directions to the Men's Basketball Forum. Drive north on your monitor to the street called Athletics. Press it, then drive south three blocks to the street called UConn Men's Basketball. Press it. You have arrived at your destination. Estimated travel time... 4 seconds. ;)

Reaction Score
Haven't been to Barclay, but the Garden is special. Can't fault a Rutgers fan for not understanding that. I don't think they ever made it past Wednesday afternoon.
It amazes me that people who have never been to a place can comment about it. It is like saying that Webster Bank arena is terrible because it's in Bridgeport, when most people have never been there either. You all are so provincial, it's a little sad. Yet...you all espouse such profound views...with no substance behind them! And...you can bait Rutgers all you want, and I am a UConn fan and alum, but the fact is they are in the B1G and have hit the jackpot. No amount of comments will change that, and UConn remains in purgatory.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It amazes me that people who have never been to a place can comment about it. It is like saying that Webster Bank arena is terrible because it's in Bridgeport, when most people have never been there either. You all are so provincial, it's a little sad. Yet...you all espouse such profound views...with no substance behind them! And...you can bait Rutgers all you want, and I am a UConn fan and alum, but the fact is they are in the B1G and have hit the jackpot. No amount of comments will change that, and UConn remains in purgatory.
I have never been to Barclays either but can absolutely tell you it doesn't compare with MSG for a major college basketball game. The fact Rutgers never made it past Wednesday at the BET would actually be a reason they wouldn't understand the aura. Not sure the poster you're bashing said anything that was that off base.

Reaction Score
I have never been to Barclays either but can absolutely tell you it doesn't compare with MSG for a major college basketball game. The fact Rutgers never made it past Wednesday at the BET would actually be a reason they wouldn't understand the aura. Not sure the poster you're bashing said anything that was that off base.
If you haven't been there, then you cannot make a statement about the venue. Period.

Reaction Score

I didn't make a single comment about Barclays other than I had never been there. I didn't express any opinion on the facility whatsoever. All I said was the Garden was special, and I don't think Rutgers fans would realize that since they rarely, if ever, saw their team play after Wednesday.
If you disagree with one of those statements, we can discuss it. If you're going to talk down to me about something I didn't even do, you can STFU, or GFY, I'll leave it in your hands. If they aren't full of JayRU's c 0 ck and balls of course.

Reaction Score
Crowds make venues. And while stadiums/arenas can amplify crowd noise and what not, what makes a place electric are the people inside the building.

While this is true, what you're not understanding is that MSG is different because it amplifies the electricity.
Because it's MSG, there is an excitement that is palpable outside the stadium and it only intensifies when the game starts. The crowds are better and more electric, because of the history, the location, because they walk in excited to be seeing their team playing at the Garden.

But what do I know, it's only called "the Mecca of basketball".

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If you haven't been there, then you cannot make a statement about the venue. Period.
Based on decades and decades of history and having watched games at MSG I really can. The fact that your quite possibly the only person on earth who doesn't realize the allure of the garden doesn't make you correct.

Reaction Score
Based on decades and decades of history and having watched games at MSG I really can. The fact that your quite possibly the only person on earth who doesn't realize the allure of the garden doesn't make you correct.
I am just saying that if a person has never been to a venue, they have no business criticizing it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
buddy said:
I am just saying that if a person has never been to a venue, they have no business criticizing it.

It's more than just the building. By any metric new yankee stadium is better than the old one, except it isn't because it has no soul. Barclay's isn't in downtown Manhattan and doesn't have the history of great and historic events. Doesn't have the surroundings. I'm sure it's a fine place to watch a game, but not a memorable one. I can't name the arena the other regionals were held, but in ten years everyone will remember Uconn beat MSU AT THE GARDEN. That's the only point anyone is making here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's more than just the building. By any metric new yankee stadium is better than the old one, except it isn't because it has no soul. Barclay's isn't in downtown Manhattan and doesn't have the history of great and historic events. Doesn't have the surroundings. I'm sure it's a fine place to watch a game, but not a memorable one. I can't name the arena the other regionals were held, but in ten years everyone will remember Uconn beat MSU AT THE GARDEN. That's the only point anyone is making here.

I can't deny that it is special, due to the history of the building, the college basketball, NBA, NHL and boxing events that occurred there. Fenway Park is like that for me. I am sure the old Yankee stadium was as well. It's about degrees though. A game against Duke at MSG, at this moment, might rate a 10 on the meter. A game at Barclays (being a cooler, newer, trendier building and locale) would then be about a 9.85. The MSG fanboys on here seem to see things more like MSG as 10, and the next best possible arena would be a 2. It is a tiny bit more desirable due to the history. That's all. Now Izod, yes that's below Barclays, but still, for UConn anyway, rates an 8 or so.

Simply put, a game in metro NY against Duke is a fantastic development, even if they played it on a playground court.

Reaction Score
I can't deny that it is special, due to the history of the building, the college basketball, NBA, NHL and boxing events that occurred there. Fenway Park is like that for me. I am sure the old Yankee stadium was as well. It's about degrees though. A game against Duke at MSG, at this moment, might rate a 10 on the meter. A game at Barclays (being a cooler, newer, trendier building and locale) would then be about a 9.85. The MSG fanboys on here seem to see things more like MSG as 10, and the next best possible arena would be a 2. It is a tiny bit more desirable due to the history. That's all. Now Izod, yes that's below Barclays, but still, for UConn anyway, rates an 8 or so.

Simply put, a game in metro NY against Duke is a fantastic development, even if they played it on a playground court.

That would be awesome watching them dive for loose balls on blacktop!

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs 4h

"It was almost comical to see Mr. Emmert announce a new rule on April 15," re "Hungry Huskies." http://courtney.house.gov

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 4h

Joe Courtney on fire at unionization hearings. He also sounds like a hopeless UConn fan.

Courtney knows his stuff -- references Perry Jones sitch at Baylor.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Guess I should be insulted as a "hopeless" Uconn fan, but that would mean I care about Dennis Dodd's opinion on things.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs 4h

"It was almost comical to see Mr. Emmert announce a new rule on April 15," re "Hungry Huskies." http://courtney.house.gov

Joe Courtney on fire at unionization hearings. He also sounds like a hopeless UConn fan.

Courtney knows his stuff -- references Perry Jones sitch at Baylor.

Joe should ask Dennis about his Syracuse Dart article.

Reaction Score
ESPN ACC ‏@ESPN_ACC · 6h

Swofford says a potential ACC Network is still several years down the road, if it does happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom