Kevin Ollie: Discipline key to running a program these days | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie: Discipline key to running a program these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“Last year it was kind of like, ‘Watch him do that, watch him do this,’” noted sophomore Daniel Hamilton. “It’s more of a team this year. Everybody can do different stuff. People aren’t just one-dimensional. It’s kind of like having toys. (Ollie) can throw out whatever toy or whatever car he wants.”

“Oh, we’re gonna run,” Ollie vowed. “Definitely gonna run. I was very disappointed in our tempo (last year). We’ve got to run, push the pace. I’ve got a lot of options. I can go big, I can go small. That’s what I like. We’ll just see how we can manipulate the defense, and see who’s not gonna give in, retreat or surrender. That’s what I kept telling the guys: it’s the UConn covenant.”

Naturally, that’s right up the players’ alley — particularly the guards.

“I love that a lot,” said freshman Jalen Adams. “That’s one of the main reasons I came here, just watching them play. They’re always uptempo offense. I like to get out, fast-break dunks, alley-oops. I like to have fun when I’m playing.”

Added Gibbs: “That’s a guard’s dream, to be able to have the freedom to get out and run, and to use the pick and roll. Just to have the freedom overall, I think that’s one of the things that he’s really stressing. He doesn’t want to come down and call a play each time down.”

Reaction Score
What I like to hear the most out of all of the quotes was from Gibbs. The fact he's been at Texas and Seton Hall for 1st day practices and never experienced anything like this is pretty cool. Every year from the JC days you hear about the nice guy who recruited them suddenly becomes a different person and it is the same with KO. They will be one of the, if not THE, best conditioned teams in the country.

Reaction Score
“Last year it was kind of like, ‘Watch him do that, watch him do this,’” noted sophomore Daniel Hamilton. “It’s more of a team this year. Everybody can do different stuff. People aren’t just one-dimensional. It’s kind of like having toys. (Ollie) can throw out whatever toy or whatever car he wants.”
Hamilton was talking about Boatright. That's not clear at all from the article. I mentioned this in a post earlier this year that it seemed like everyone deferred to Boatright too much and it started to hurt Boatright and the team. That's not Boat's fault so I'm not blaming him. It was like a downward spiral. The more everyone deferred to him, the more he had to do and the more it started hurting Boatright and the team.

The media is saying UConn lost their best player, but I think it will end up being a good thing for everyone. Boat's not there to bail them all out again. Everyone is going to have to step up and be a bigger part of winning. They're all capable.

Reaction Score
Hamilton was talking about Boatright. That's not clear at all from the article. I mentioned this in a post earlier this year that it seemed like everyone deferred to Boatright too much and it started to hurt Boatright and the team. That's not Boat's fault so I'm not blaming him. It was like a downward spiral. The more everyone deferred to him, the more he had to do and the more it started hurting Boatright and the team.

The media is saying UConn lost their best player, but I think it will end up being a good thing for everyone. Boat's not there to bail them all out again. Everyone is going to have to step up and be a bigger part of winning. They're all capable.
Couldn't agree more..Boat was a key part of r last national title run but he pounded the ball way to much last year

C

Chief00

Over-all I agree. I liked Boat and his family a lot. They loved UConn. He does though have this Chicago vs. Boston vs NYC vs LA thing in his head - sometimes it helped motivate him other times it confused the team and even coach Calhoun.

Reaction Score

^^^^^^
THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member