Kevin Ollie can't recruit !!! | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie can't recruit !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's been a journey with KO but it wasn't so long ago when the question was should he get the job? Then can he coach? And now can he recruit? And KO has answered the bell on each one. I frankly don't think they were unfair questions to be asked at the time and it has now turned into a joke, like can you believe anyone doubted all of this would happen? But I pretty much suspect that none of us knew it would turn out quite this well when he took the podium to accept the job on day 1.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's been a journey with KO but it wasn't so long ago when the question was should he get the job? Then can he coach? And now can he recruit? And KO has answered the bell on each one. I frankly don't think they were unfair questions to be asked at the time and it has now turned into a joke, like can you believe anyone doubted all of this would happen? But I pretty much suspect that none of us knew it would turn out quite this well when he took the podium to accept the job on day 1.

He answered "yeah but can he win the big one" pretty quickly too.

Reaction Score
I just posted this in the other thread but it blows my mind that anyone could've thought he wouldn't be able to recruit.

I mean come on.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I just posted this in the other thread but it blows my mind that anyone could've thought he wouldn't be able to recruit.

I mean come on.

Personally, I didn't doubt it, but the results weren't quite there...until now.

Reaction Score
Personally, I didn't doubt it, but the results weren't quite there...until now.
You gotta give the guy a couple years to get going. Plus the AAC is a definite minus so it's been an uphill battle. And maybe this is a stretch, but it seems like after the national championship kids might not have been convinced he wasn't going to jump to the NBA

Reaction Score
Just to keep up, WHO committed for next year (16)??

I've been away - see other post

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
I mean, Durham is the only recruit who really counts in our 2016 class.... I'm not impressed yet.

He doesn't count. He isn't local, but he tore his ACL.

Still waiting for the first non-local, completely healthy, 6-foot or over, non-UConn fan, non-transfer recruit without ties to KO's original hometown.

How much longer is it going to take?

Reaction Score
Just to keep up, WHO committed for next year (16)??

I've been away - see other post
Alterique Gilbert
Juwan Durham
Mamadou Diarra
Terry Larrier transferring this year, will play next year

There's a stickied thread about this stuff

Reaction Score
So I've said this before but this seems a good thread to say it again...

I think many of you don't realize just how much the ban in 2012 hurt us in terms of recruiting. With many of these recruits you need to be on them freshman year in order to show loyalty and commitment as a coach. KO was restricted in his ability to do this the first year. The 2016 class of recruits are the first year of players that KO could talk to for all 4 years. Makes a huge difference.

This is going to become the norm. UConn has a proven track record with multiple national championships. UConn has an ex-NBA player with 13 years experience as our head coach. KO shows loyalty in the hiring of the coaching staff. UConn has had proven success of getting players (especially guards) to the NBA. Guards win NCAA titles.

The future is bright.

Reaction Score
Ummm. . . . . . . . . . . . . he hasn't gotten a one and done yet.

Reaction Score
Ummm. . . . . . . . . . . . . he hasn't gotten a one and done yet.
I see your sarcasm and raise you a serious answer.

It took Calhoun 25 years to get one, so KO gets a bit of leeway there.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
C'mon. JC said he's the man for the job, and he put himself in a pretty awkward position, basically playing chicken with the AD to get him there. I don't remember the last time I didn't trust JC's judgment on anything related to hoops. Why would any UConn fan start second guessing him over his pick to succeed himself?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rutgers Al. Paging Rutgers Al.

Reaction Score
The saddest day EVER was the day RutgersAl had to take down his life sized Mike Rosario poster. He actually cried. True story.

Reaction Score
I see your sarcasm and raise you a serious answer.

It took Calhoun 25 years to get one, so KO gets a bit of leeway there.

It took Ollie 2 years to win a Championship. JC many more, so the bar is much, much higher.

Here at the Boneyard its well documented that he still can't recruit, until he recruits at least one of the following:

1. Pygmy person
2. Woman basketball player (on men's team)
3. Wheelchair player
4. Amputee
5. AARP eligible player
6. Non human student/player
7. Ex-felon

Reaction Score
It took Ollie 2 years to win a Championship. JC many more, so the bar is much, much higher.

Here at the Boneyard its well documented that he still can't recruit, until he recruits at least one of the following:

1. Pygmy person
2. Woman basketball player (on men's team)
3. Wheelchair player
4. Amputee
5. AARP eligible player
6. Non human student/player
7. Ex-felon

8. Someone with the last name "Mandeldove"

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...n-ollie-showing-he-can-win-recruiting-battles

Many people including myself wondered how UConn coach Kevin Ollie would do on the recruiting trail following Jim Calhoun and the plethora of pros that he lured to UConn during his Hall-of-Fame career, but the former NBA point guard has answered the bell with flying colors.

After dominating the Spring transfer market by landing Sterling Gibbs (Seton Hall), Shonn Miller (Cornell), and Terry Larrier (VCU), Ollie has already received commitments from three Top-100 players in the Class of 2016 -- Alterique Gilbert, Juwan Durham, and Mamadou Diarra -- and we're not even through the first week of September yet. Ollie proved he could coach when the led the Huskies to the 2014 national title, but now he's also proving that can regularly secure elite talent on a regular basis. UConn also has two highly touted freshman on its roster this year in Jalen Adams and Steven Enoch who both have a chance to be factors in the Huskies' rotation.

Keep an eye on the 6-foot-2 Adams, a blur in the open court who gets his teammates shots thanks to his ability to breakdown the defense. With Adams, Gibbs, Rodney Purvis, and Daniel Hamilton, UConn should have one of the more explosive perimeters in the sport.

Reaction Score
I kinda think it was a combo of trollers and reverse jinxers who out out the idea he couldn't recruit. When guys like KD were basically advocating for him to be their/or some other team's NBA coach, b/c he had such a powerful impact upon the culture - I mean, nobody here really thought it would be an issue, did they? - let me out it another way - even playing in this conference isn't anywhere near a detriment as we pretend. If Cal took Memphis to finals in a similar looking conference, but, we've already won a NC in it - it doesn't matter all that much. Who would somebody rather learn from, Cal, a failed NBA coach, or KO, a successful NBA player and college coach?

Reaction Score
Kids relate to him and want to draw upon his NBA experience. Parents trust him because of his conservative beliefs, integrity and kind demeanor. This, combined with winning and not making headlines for being (fill in the blank) will drive top level kids to want to play for him. This takes years. We've seen glimpses with a few seeds planted and buds begining to grow but...

You ain't seen nothing yet.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Said NO ONE EVER!!! #3 class in 2016 plus the possible additions of Powell and Vance. Kevin Ollie is Getting. It. Done.

but we can't land 6 one and done players in one year, can we?

suffice to say, "he's no squid"

THANK GOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member