Kevin Duffy leaving CT Post | The Boneyard

Kevin Duffy leaving CT Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@KevinRDuffy: After five awesome years at Hearst Connecticut, I'm joining http://post original url/pzqsONKFQb as the company's New England Patriots beat writer.

Congrats, but sh¡t.

Reaction Score
So we have to rely on Borges as the only reliable beat reporter now. Amore blows. No others even notable.

Paxton, who is terrible, took over that beat for the CT Post last season.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
What has happened to the horde? Just sad the way it's deteriorated.

Reaction Score
What has happened to the horde? Just sad the way it's deteriorated.
This issue isn't isolated to CT. There's no money left in traditional media, so talented people are finding alternative jobs that pay better.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Duffy, but too bad he didn't take over Dom's job. Actually anyone with an interest in UConn basketball that knows where the spell check button is would be better than Dom..

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This issue isn't isolated to CT. There's no money left in traditional media, so talented people are finding alternative jobs that pay better.

My wife's cousin was a very well-respected print sports reporter, at one time head of one of the pro league sports writers associations. The publication he worked for went away about 4 years ago, and he's been trying to make do with free lance stuff and this or that on-line gigs. For a guy in his 50s, he's not in a good spot.

Reaction Score
I think Dom Amore gets a bad rap on here that isn't really deserved. Yeah his blog has a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, but it's a friggin' blog. Who cares?! I think he covers the team pretty well and has gone out of his way to do some good articles from different angles that nobody else has done. Not sure why he has such a bad reputation with some on here.

I agree with the above posts that the horde is thinning quickly mostly because papers just can't pay these writers enough to keep them. Most of the ones coming into the industry are very young (like Duffy) and once they get enough experience they move on to bigger and better things.

Reaction Score
Dom does a fine job. He started off slowly, but a lot of the time when an article is linked here and people comment with "great read" it's from Amore, but I guess people on here are ignoring that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So we have to rely on Borges as the only reliable beat reporter now. Amore blows. No others even notable.
Jim Fuller? Ed Daigneault? Tim Fontenault?

Reaction Score
As a Pats fan I'm happy about this. There are very few in the Boston media who cover the Pats who are any good at what they do. Not including those employed by the Pats, Mike Reiss, Field Yates (who is a former scout), Tom Curran (technically Providence), Doug Kyed and Jeff Howe are the standard right now. After that it is a pretty sharp drop to the rest and they are a miserable bunch.

Duffy will be great at this.

Reaction Score
I like the 'ault combo on twitter, not so much their beat writing. Its true though, borges and dom aren't cutting it. i yearn for days when we have a beat guy who is in the know

Reaction Score
Amore is a good writer (see his column on the Huskies' strength coach from a few days ago). Forget the spelling errors on his blog (who cares). The area where he needs to improve is writing more than one blog post a week during the offseason. He's the beat writer for the National Champions, writing for the top newspaper in the state, The Courant. Obviously the team doesn't play any games during the summer but that's no excuse for a lack of material. There's plenty of things to cover (recruiting, offseason training, scheduling, player profiles, summer leagues, etc.). Wouldn't it be great if he caught up with some former Huskies more than two times per year? I don't think it would be hard for him to get in touch with these guys for a phone interview every now and then. Anyway, Duffy is definitely a loss. He always seemed more invested in covering the Huskies than the rest of the beat guys, probably because he actually went to UConn. I don't mind beat writers that show a UConn bias or at least a passion for the team. I think we need more of it.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
You know Duffy will be missed when he provided better stuff than Paxton (his replacement) and Amore (who works for the biggest CT newspaper, the Courant). Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom