Kemba's Bobcats now 6-4 | The Boneyard

Kemba's Bobcats now 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's playing really well - averaging about 18 ppg and his shooting percentages are typically around 50 percent most nights (he's 44 percent on the year). Had a key 3-pt play with 50 seconds to go to tie it tonight against Toronto and they won by one. The offseason moves were big for him - he's now the unquestioned lead guard, and he can share the backcourt with Sessions since he's a bigger point guard (unlike DJ Augustin). Plus BG off the bench gives them another option late. They've been doing this without Gerald Henderson too.

Seems like they haven't played any good teams yet, though. Early-season schedule was helpful for them to build some confidence.

Thabeet had 10 points for the Thunder today too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
His defense has been the biggest surprise from what I've read. Seems like his defense was always underrated. Am I wrong to say that his pesky defense as a Freshman added a key extra element to that team?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
His defense has been the biggest surprise from what I've read. Seems like his defense was always underrated. Am I wrong to say that his pesky defense as a Freshman added a key extra element to that team?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He was always a good defender here - a little small, so a bigger point guard could sometimes muscle him on the drive, but he battled. His junior year, we tried to hide him on the weakest scorer to save his energy, and he would sometimes be more cognizant of avoiding fouls than stopping dribble penetration. But that was obviously strategic - a hand check foul in the first half would be more dangerous than allowing a drive into our bigs. I heard some draft people call him a lazy defender, and I was baffled by that. Just wasn't so.

One thing that helped turn the Pitt game was that he switched on to Ashton Gibbs when Gibbs was schooling our freshmen off the ball in the first half. Gibbs couldn't get open any more. He also took Brandon Knight on the biggest possession of that game.

Tonight he saved a go-ahead layup with five seconds left off an offensive rebound, when he come from out of nowhere to strip the ball out of bounds. Didn't show up in the stat sheet, but the Raptors guy had a bunny if Kemba didn't make that play.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Got to love a team with a backcourt comprised of players from uconn (my Alma mater) and Nevada (my hometown for the last 20 years). Sure wish sessions would have stayed at Nevada for his senior season. That team had final potential

Reaction Score
I love the core of Kemba and MKG. If Biyombo can develop a decent offensive game, this has the makings of a really solid team long-term.

Reaction Score
Coach Dunlap playing Kemba & Sessions together has been probably the biggest improvement adjustment made since last season, outside of Kemba working on his own game of course. Charlotte tried it last year with Augustine but they were too small together. But this version reminds me of the successful Iverson & Eric Snow backcourt the Sixers used for many years. It's great to see Kemba have a chance at taking that city over from Cam!

Reaction Score
He's playing really well - averaging about 18 ppg and his shooting percentages are typically around 50 percent most nights (he's 44 percent on the year). Had a key 3-pt play with 50 seconds to go to tie it tonight against Toronto and they won by one. The offseason moves were big for him - he's now the unquestioned lead guard, and he can share the backcourt with Sessions since he's a bigger point guard (unlike DJ Augustin). Plus BG off the bench gives them another option late. They've been doing this without Gerald Henderson too.

Seems like they haven't played any good teams yet, though. Early-season schedule was helpful for them to build some confidence.

Thabeet had 10 points for the Thunder today too.

I'm hoping they're still lottery-bound this year, though, because they still need more help. Assume Boyimbo pans out, they are set at PG, SF, and C. They need another big (Zeller, Noel, McAdoo?) and a SG for the long term (not buying Sessions long-term).

I'd like for them to have a better year--and they already are--but the cubbard is still pretty bare.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping they're still lottery-bound this year, though, because they still need more help. Assume Boyimbo pans out, they are set at PG, SF, and C. They need another big (Zeller, Noel, McAdoo?) and a SG for the long term (not buying Sessions long-term).

I'd like for them to have a better year--and they already are--but the cubbard is still pretty bare.

They'll likely come back to earth when the schedule gets a little tougher. Lately they've beaten a depleted Minnesota team, Washington, the Raptors at home by one. But last year, there was no such thing as a ho-hum win, obviously. A 30-52 year is probably about right - a good step forward with another lotto pick and possibly a more attractive situation to offer a free agent with their cap space.

Reaction Score
They'll likely come back to earth when the schedule gets a little tougher. Lately they've beaten a depleted Minnesota team, Washington, the Raptors at home by one. But last year, there was no such thing as a ho-hum win, obviously. A 30-52 year is probably about right - a good step forward with another lotto pick and possibly a more attractive situation to offer a free agent with their cap space.

True. The bottom of the East is pretty dreadful, though. Once you get past Miami, Boston (they'll get it together), NY (we'll see if they keep it up), you're looking at teams with injuries (Indiana, Chicago, Philly), or teams that are scrappy and lack talent (Atlanta). You never know.

I think you're right, though.

Reaction Score

And even if Biyombo pans out, the likelihood is that he'll never be a real good offensive player. A Zeller down there would do wonders.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Oh but this thread is cool. Bias bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caw

Reaction Score
Oh but this thread is cool. Bias bastards.

LOL, Just have someone on the Knicks finally sign a UConn guy and you'll see a lot more people giving a crap about them here.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Isn't Camby from CT? Doesn't he count for a little?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Anyone know the story behind that? If he elected to go elsewhere than it wasn't a Ryan Gomes thing. He was in the same draft as Ray so what was it? Playing behind Donyell Marshall or Travis Knight?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone know the story behind that? If he elected to go elsewhere than it wasn't a Ryan Gomes thing. He was in the same draft as Ray so what was it? Playing behind Donyell Marshall or Travis Knight?

This sums it up pretty well.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple, sounds like Bethea had a piece of the pie and wasn't a UConn guy and we all know the Squid and his tactics............and a few years later his 30K in jewelry would have never happened at UConn!!:rolleyes:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You can add Billy Bayno (at the time Squid's chief recruiter) who basically camped out at the Camby household, constantly whispering into MC's mother's ear about how JC was dissing Marcus by (fill in the blank, basically by looking at players in addition to Camby). In this recruiting battle JC felt that Squid and his crew seriously crossed a line. I don't know what line that was but if anyone asked about UMass' recruit of Camby at any point when Marcus was still in school JC would have reacted in a way where the Gomes and Krayeske outbursts would have looked like "no comment" in comparison.

Reaction Score
You can add Billy Bayno (at the time Squid's chief recruiter) who basically camped out at the Camby household, constantly whispering into MC's mother's ear about how JC was dissing Marcus by (fill in the blank, basically by looking at players in addition to Camby). In this recruiting battle JC felt that Squid and his crew seriously crossed a line. I don't know what line that was but if anyone asked about UMass' recruit of Camby at any point when Marcus was still in school JC would have reacted in a way where the Gomes and Krayeske outbursts would have looked like "no comment" in comparison.

Forgot about Bayno you are right........and he was taught his recruiting tactics by the best at behind-the-back assaults the Squid himself. As we know the Squid left many a Big East coach pissed at him for his unethical tactics while an assistant at Pitt..........

Reaction Score
Up to 7-5 now. I still think this upcoming stretch will knock them off, but if they can get through with a half decent record then they might have something. Kemba and MKG are pure winners who are full of talent, Mullens is starting to play like he should given his talent, Biyombo/Haywood are a good defensive duo, and Sessions + Gordon were excellent additions. Charlotte certainly won't be picking in the top half of the lottery this year. They added Detroit's first as well, so they will more than likely have an extra lottery pick in 14/15.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Isn't Camby from CT? Doesn't he count for a little?

It counts for a great deal. Unfortunately the numbers are negative and as such significantly lowers the overall score.
You must admit, it is a valid question, will the Knickerbockers buck recent trends and show improvement? Or will they continue the down the path of past history and tease and entice fans only to fall short once more?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
It counts for a great deal. Unfortunately the numbers are negative and as such significantly lowers the overall score.
You must admit, it is a valid question, will the Knickerbockers buck recent trends and show improvement? Or will they continue the down the path of past history and tease and entice fans only to fall short once more?

I'm just happy to be teased while it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01