Katie Lou Samuelson | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From previous experience with you---you maintain a cool head, positive approach, respectful and intelligence in you comments. Naples must have a market on great UConn supporters!! In your next comment (I just read) I liked that you will wait and see how or who gets off the bench first. Only super freshmen in the past got off the bench first. Which of the newbees has that potential??
COLLIER!

Reaction Score
Happy September Broadway (and all posters) - I don't know the answer to this so I am asking for insights or (a better memory than mine.) In last year's Stanford game, I remember UConn playing almost 100% Man defense. I don't remember any zone or even any 'Man switch" that Geno used later in the season. Very effectively I must add. I thought that Geno was staying with the man to see how Chong would (eventually) or hopefully adjust. Geno (IMHO) still thought UConn could win the game, even giving up so many dribble-drives.
Help shed some specific light on this for me gang. Thanks.

Not much light to shed on that. All Uconn Fans and probably Uconn coaches (probably even Stanford coaching staff) thought Uconn would win that game up to the bitter end. I haven't seen the Stanford game in about 2 months and the memory is a bit less than prior.
When coaching the after game analysis is necessary and Geno did that.
Coach--I was wondering where you were. Happy Sept--only 2 months and 4 or so days. Hope your sabbatical was enjoyable.

Reaction Score
Absolutely! There isn't anyone that can beat her out for a starting backcourt position.
Steven, Welcome. Etienne was the name of my first relative in North America in 1660.

Reaction Score
I simply don't see a scenario where Kia Nurse will not be competing with Courtney for playing time at SG, therefore I excluded Kia from these projections.
Perhaps I am being a bit dense but your comment has me confused. From where I sit Nurse will get all the PT the team needs given game circumstances, as will Mo, Stewie, and Morgan. The questions that perhaps the two exhibition games will help to resolve will be the 5th starter (Butler, Gabby, Chong, Ekmark, one of the frosh,????) I am betting on Butler BTW! From there we will have to see who captures Geno's eye as I think that Chong if he needs a guard and Gabby if he need the front court are for now the first two off the bench. Can CE, KLS, DB, or NC present a case for jumping the line? I don't know yet. What you hope for I suppose is that all of them show well enough so Geno can tap any/all of them at will.

Reaction Score
COLLIER!
Couldn't agree more of who I believe will be the first, but Geno reads everything I write and I don't want to influence him again.
I told him Johnson should be the first off the bench -- so he put some Star in, what does he know??

After the U19, if Collier practices (Geno loves kids who practice) well my guess is she would have the opportunity to be first.

Reaction Score
With all respect to Geno, if he said that he was wrong. The game wasn't played like most UConn games are, but the Huskies still had a 6-pt lead and the ball with less than 2 minutes remaining. Sure there were many reasons that game was closer than it could've been, but it was still beyond winnable.

I'm not sure what you are saying. No insult intended. Good teams don't let very good teams play the games they want (The game wasn't played like most uconn games"). For the first half Dayton dribble drove and tried to keep Uconn from playing the typical Uconn game--a very good coach did that. Van Der Ver (?)) is among the very best coaches. 6 point lead with 2 minutes seems win able. \
Much like the Pope Geno is usually (usually) infallible in thing of Basketball.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are saying. No insult intended. Good teams don't let very good teams play the games they want (The game wasn't played like most uconn games"). For the first half Dayton dribble drove and tried to keep Uconn from playing the typical Uconn game--a very good coach did that. Van Der Ver (?)) is among the very best coaches. 6 point lead with 2 minutes seems win able. \
Much like the Pope Geno is usually (usually) infallible in thing of Basketball.

I just mean that despite all the issues UConn had, some self-imposed, they had that game in their pocket if they play decently the last 75 seconds. Love Kiah Stokes, but her long jumper relatively early in the clock followed immediately by a silly foul on Samuelson were killers. Now, Stokes was basically never in a close game late which must be taken into consideration.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hi Bill, Welcome to the Boneyard. I hope you will enlighten US with your comments and takes as you did in the Courant.

You'll love it here.

Reaction Score
Hi Bill, Welcome to the Boneyard. I hope you will enlighten US with your comments and takes as you did in the Courant.

You'll love it here.
I already like a lot of the repartee. I love the exchanges of opinions, some of which can actually be supported with facts (scary thought that is). When people can help their position by presenting facts I have actually been know to change my mind. Thankful that does happen too often. Hope to catch the girls in January at USF. And thanks for the welcome, glad to note my Courant remarks are read now and then. Ah. CT, great place to be from. 52 years there, 18+ here in Florida. Here I can afford to live.

Reaction Score
Overall I agree with those that think NB will start. However . . .
KLS and NC - if healthy will get more minutes.

Expect about 106 minutes for our Big 4- BS, MT, MJ and KN like last year very slight uptick for KN. Then 5 minutes for the walk-ons. Ten minutes between JB and CE.

Chong 12, and 30 minutes between Butler and Gabby. You know some of the games Butler will be "The worst post in America."

KLS and NC get 37 minutes.

This is a KLS thread so briefly about KLS is that she is major-mismatch the moment she steps on the court. She can shoot from any position on the floor needing a simple pick or to rush out on a fastbreak. And fastbreaks she gets out on, unlike KML who was just 5'10- KLS will be able to effortlessly get off more 3's. Much harder to run off the line. In addition, many, many of the opponents she plays against whether at the 2/3 or 4- it's not like they are "Kayla McBride or the Ogwumike sisters." As CD has said, "we want opponents to worry about matching up with us." In this case you put KLS on a wing and give her a pick- with the talent UCONN has- I think we need to consult Clubber Lang and ask for his prediction. "Prediction," he asks. "Pain."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we need to consult Clubber Lang and ask for his prediction. "Prediction," he asks. "Pain."[/QUOTE]
according to Denzel..Remember the Titans.."What is pain?..French bread":D

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Expect about 106 minutes for our Big 4- BS, MT, MJ and KN like last year very slight uptick for KN. Then 5 minutes for the walk-ons. Ten minutes between JB and CE.

Chong 12, and 30 minutes between Butler and Gabby. You know some of the games Butler will be "The worst post in America."

KLS and NC get 37 minutes.

I think the walk-ons will rarely play at all. I know that won't be a popular assumption but the truth is they were brought in because UConn needed practice players. A very important and needed role, but their playing time was a reward and a result of smaller rosters.

I would suggest closer to 40 minutes for Butler and Williams, and perhaps 40 for KLS and Collier. No idea where the minutes for Boykin and Ekmark are going to come from unless Geno limits the minutes of high-quality players.

Reaction Score
I would like to see 40 minutes for Stewie and Mo each if they want it. This is it for them. The end of two spectacular college careers. I want see them play every last minute if that is possible because we will never be able to again, at least not in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
I think the walk-ons will rarely play at all. I know that won't be a popular assumption but the truth is they were brought in because UConn needed practice players. A very important and needed role, but their playing time was a reward and a result of smaller rosters.

I would suggest closer to 40 minutes for Butler and Williams, and perhaps 40 for KLS and Collier. No idea where the minutes for Boykin and Ekmark are going to come from unless Geno limits the minutes of high-quality players.
I would hope that the reward for Pulido & Lawlor will be a scholarship for their final year or two. They will travel around the country, they will get academic help where, when , and if they need it. With 11 recruited, hi profile, class players to share 200 minutes I just can't see them getting more than a smattering of time in the biggest of routs. As for those minutes and based on the recent history of Geno my guess is the front 5 (we'll presume Butler is #5) will average 23-27 minutes leaving some 75 minutes for KLS, Williams, Chong, Collier, Boykin, & Ekmark. Who gets how many? I don't have a clue but in 11-12 weeks I am guessing that Geno and the staff will know.

Reaction Score
I would hope that the reward for Pulido & Lawlor will be a scholarship for their final year or two. They will travel around the country, they will get academic help where, when , and if they need it. With 11 recruited, hi profile, class players to share 200 minutes I just can't see them getting more than a smattering of time in the biggest of routs. As for those minutes and based on the recent history of Geno my guess is the front 5 (we'll presume Butler is #5) will average 23-27 minutes leaving some 75 minutes for KLS, Williams, Chong, Collier, Boykin, & Ekmark. Who gets how many? I don't have a clue but in 11-12 weeks I am guessing that Geno and the staff will know.
I thought Pulido had to be on scholarship because she had one with track and field? And I thought Lawlor got one as well. In any case, this is Pulido's last year, so really three players depart after this season, assuming Tuck stays. There might be a log jam for playing time this year, but next year when this year's incoming superclass have a little experience under their belt there will be quite a few more minutes available, so to me it works out perfectly for all.

Reaction Score

The walk ons playing 3 minutes each on average per game means they will rarely play. But there are many teams we are going to annihilate. Annihilate just like last year probably worse. Last year they got 6.4 minutes. This year I said 5 minutes. Note I didn't say 5 minutes per game. I totaled it each gets about 2.5 minutes for each player.

Last year CE averaged 9.7 minutes. When UCONN is up often by a ton of points which they will be again this year and Geno will want to do the same thing as last year - to push pace. Last year UCONN won 12 games by 50 points or more. They were several other games they won by upper 40's. Others in the 40's. Other's in the high 30's. This team is very capable of surpassing last year's team regarding points scored and margin of victory. I just think it will be very hard in so many games to not use every one. For example if CE is busting her butt every day in practice and you're up by 50 points, you aren't going to give her 5-6 minutes? You're going to restrict her to 3 minutes?

As for Gabby- she got near 15 last year and KLS and NC did beat her out for an off-season team this year, right? I don't know but I think they did. So I'm giving them a few more minutes than her. Not much. And I just think Geno is going to put the screws on NB this year. Plus I don't know how good NB is. I think she starts season as starter but it's just a guess. And I reserve the right to change my mind!!!

All this is out the window if any player misses for any length of time ofc.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The walk ons playing 3 minutes each on average per game means they will rarely play. But there are many teams we are going to annihilate. Annihilate just like last year probably worse. Last year they got 6.4 minutes. This year I said 5 minutes. Note I didn't say 5 minutes per game. I totaled it each gets about 2.5 minutes for each player.

Yes, but last year the team basically had an 8-player roster after Edwards' departure and Ekmark's injury. This year you are looking at 11 which makes a big difference in playing time. And that doesn't even take into account that Williams will almost certainly be trusted to play more as well. In my scenario I'm having trouble finding time for the "last" two much less for the walk-ons.

Reaction Score
Yes, but last year the team basically had an 8-player roster after Edwards' departure and Ekmark's injury. This year you are looking at 11 which makes a big difference in playing time. And that doesn't even take into account that Williams will almost certainly be trusted to play more as well. In my scenario I'm having trouble finding time for the "last" two much less for the walk-ons.
The returning 6 accounted for a little better than 140 minutes and I suspect that few of us would forecast any significant reduction for their PT. So about 60 minutes if the old '6' play the same for the "new" '5' Butler, KLS, Collier, Boykin, and Ekmark (I know she is not technically new). I really do not expect them to share equally and the question may become will they be able to get more minutes from Gabby or Saniya. This could one of Geno's most challengeing years for parceling out the minutes.

Reaction Score

So am I but -- when you are up by 50-- imo Geno will give all the kids some minutes. It's not like the lead keeps expanding at rapid rate late. Many games the lead is outrageous early in 2nd half/ late in 1st half - and with this year's talent- imo he's going to reward all team members to an extent. There has to be reward for practices. As for Gabby, she was fine with 15 minutes last year. Why play GW more if BS, MT, NB, NC and KS are all better? Why not give her the same if she doesn't come back with a decent jump shot? It doesn't have to be "good" just "decent." Why would Geno give her more minutes knowing very well she seemed to have struggled vs big teams while someone like NC, because she can actually shoot, proves that she wouldn't struggle as much?

SO in other words- we may have a player in NC who can be a better pf vs elite teams than GW can be. SO why give them the same minutes as the season progresses? Same with NB as the center by allowing Tuck/Stewie decent minutes to play the sf. IMO Geno will NOT just "pin down" Tuck and Stewie. People talk about how his teams play great defense, but imo he also expands players offensively which is why over the years many "number 1 recruits" sign up with him.

I loved hearing a few years ago how Geno had said if he coached Griner he wouldn't have pinned her in the paint. And with that said, this would allow other players from Baylor to post up / or free up the lane. Matter of fact one player from Baylor complained that she felt like she was forced to play like she was trapped in a box. I think Geno gets frustrated with "an offense played within a box." If Gabby can't shoot at least decent -- I don't see how she'll get as many minutes as NC or KLS because her offense would nothing more that tied up in a box. I can't wait to see her. Boy if she ever gets a shot. Just wow. But if the others are better and have the type of game that can paly better vs the elitle teams- why give Gabby the same minutes as them? I'm still signing up to giving her 15 -- and ofc with the right to change my mind. Would happily love to change it for more minutes!!

I'm just guessing like everyone else. Go Gabby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps I am being a bit dense but your comment has me confused. From where I sit Nurse will get all the PT the team needs given game circumstances, as will Mo, Stewie, and Morgan. The questions that perhaps the two exhibition games will help to resolve will be the 5th starter (Butler, Gabby, Chong, Ekmark, one of the frosh,????) I am betting on Butler BTW! From there we will have to see who captures Geno's eye as I think that Chong if he needs a guard and Gabby if he need the front court are for now the first two off the bench. Can CE, KLS, DB, or NC present a case for jumping the line? I don't know yet. What you hope for I suppose is that all of them show well enough so Geno can tap any/all of them at will.
My apologies for poor grammar. Kia will not be competing with anyone for playing time.

Reaction Score
The returning 6 accounted for a little better than 140 minutes and I suspect that few of us would forecast any significant reduction for their PT. So about 60 minutes if the old '6' play the same for the "new" '5' Butler, KLS, Collier, Boykin, and Ekmark (I know she is not technically new). I really do not expect them to share equally and the question may become will they be able to get more minutes from Gabby or Saniya. This could one of Geno's most challengeing years for parceling out the minutes.

I expect SC to see less minutes at the sg position. There will be times UCONN will use two wings - KLS and "whoever." For example if she is playing with NC or GW (or both) - and they are on the wing - if the sg is a slasher on the other team, KLS can guard the sf. Or the pf if that opposing pf is more of a shooter and not much of a physical low post. It's not like every team we play against has 3 terrific weapons at the 2/3 and 4 positions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This sounds like a traffic jam. Now, Collier is just too good to be sitting, except to take a breather from her high level of hustle. Her handle, perimeter shot, defense, length, unselfish team attitude and maturity beyond her years would be wasted on the sidelines. Geno better make a hole for this special talent who is ranked way too low for her talent level. She probably should be ranked # 1 followed by Durr at # 2.
This is not the way (Geno making hole) UCONN works regardless of how highly ranked the player is. The player by way of practices EARNS his spot on the floor. Nothing is promised, everything is earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom