Katie Lou Samuelson | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why am I skeptical when a Maryland fan comes on the Boneyard to inform us that a UConn recruit was "thoroughly outplayed" by a Maryland recruit? Let's let wait and see how they actually perform in college before judging the talent of either player. I, for one, am pleased that Boykin is a Husky and believe she will be an important contributor during her career at UConn.
The easy answer is in part it's your job to be skeptical of the "outsiders". Playing time has the potential to be more of an issue this year. Pulido and Lawler are not part of the problem. But if we accept Butler will be the 5th starter that is going to mean Williams, Chong, Ekmark with the 3 frosh will be competing for minutes. Circumstance may dictate if Gabby or Saniya is the first one off the bench. and then if Ekmark can stay ahead of KLS, Boykin, and Collier. All we need is time to answer.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I guess everyone has their own definition of what constitutes "incredible ups" -- in my estimation Stewie has a good vertical but certainly nothing I'd call "incredible" or she would dunk with ease, given her ridiculous wingspan (which is several inches greater than A'ja Wilson's, for example, and Wilson is a legit 6'5") and her height which is listed at 6'4". There are vids of her at the McD game putting a couple of dunks down and she's done a couple since but she's not far ahead (above) of 6'0" Maya Moore in this respect as Maya has been taped sneaking a few over (just barely) in her younger days. Recall that while Stewie is certainly capable--her assisted dunks are more comfortable than Maya's--she did miss her unassisted dunk attempts at First Night last year. It's not "easy" for her to do it.

So by comparison, since we know Maya's vertical is around 26"-28" or so, Stewie's is likely several inches lower. Even Maya's hops are not incredible - although she does incredible things with her still prodigious ability. YMMV but I save the "incredible" qualifier for players who we know are well into the 30s; this includes our own Gabby Williams and Lorin Dixon, Armintie (Price) Herrington and Brianna Turner. All of these women have been researched and discussed in past BY threads re: vertical and are documented at well over 30".

Maya actually has some extra gifts that allow her to use her vertical more effectively in game situations than others with the same measured leap, but I digress.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thank you for the welcome. I know I can be a little long "winded" but I am always taking the approach that I could actually be read by some common sense, reasonable, and logical people who might have a change of mind given what I present for an argument.
rofl__by_angel91701-d3c0qpy.jpg

Reaction Score
Why am I skeptical when a Maryland fan comes on the Boneyard to inform us that a UConn recruit was "thoroughly outplayed" by a Maryland recruit? Let's let wait and see how they actually perform in college before judging the talent of either player. I, for one, am pleased that Boykin is a Husky and believe she will be an important contributor during her career at UConn.
The easy answer is in part it's your job to be skeptical of the "outsiders". Playing time has the potential to be more of an issue this year. Pulido and Lawler are not part of the problem. But if we accept Butler will be the 5th starter that is going to mean Williams, Chong, Ekmark with the 3 frosh will be competing for minutes. Circumstance may dictate if Gabby or Saniya is the first one off the bench. and then if Ekmark can stay ahead of KLS, Boykin, and Collier. All we need is time to answer.
Appreciate the perspective. I only said it's my approach, reality is far to many people out here never get past the delusions that they are always right. But I'll keep posting anyway.

Reaction Score

Barring a transformational improvement of epic proportions, imagining Courtney EVER being able to "stay ahead" of Napheesa and Katie Lou in playing time boggles the mind. I'd love to see her play better, but (foot injury aside) even when 'healthy,' Courtney showed major weaknesses in many critical aspects of her game. Weaknesses that are innate and pretty damn difficult to dramatically improve.

Having seen Lou and Napheesa play so extraordinarily well at the International level (Courtney not), and given they are two of the highest (unanimously) ranked players in their class (#1 and #6), even given the big step-up to college play and the challenges freshmen face, playing fewer minutes than Ekmark this year would mean they've not nearly lived up to Geno's expectations, and they have hugely disappointed. And I just do not see that happening.

I love Courtney and wish her the best, but with Gabby (potentially starting!) and Saniya already well ahead of her on the depth chart, competing for minutes with the likes of our two fabulous freshmen Napheesa and Lou is going to prove to be a daunting challenge Courtney most likely cannot overcome.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I guess everyone has their own definition of what constitutes "incredible ups" -- in my estimation Stewie has a good vertical but certainly nothing I'd call "incredible" or she would dunk with ease, given her ridiculous wingspan (which is several inches greater than A'ja Wilson's, for example, and Wilson is a legit 6'5") and her height which is listed at 6'4". There are vids of her at the McD game putting a couple of dunks down and she's done a couple since but she's not far ahead (above) of 6'0" Maya Moore in this respect as Maya has been taped sneaking a few over (just barely) in her younger days. Recall that while Stewie is certainly capable--her assisted dunks are more comfortable than Maya's--she did miss her unassisted dunk attempts at First Night last year. It's not "easy" for her to do it.

So by comparison, since we know Maya's vertical is around 26"-28" or so, Stewie's is likely several inches lower. Even Maya's hops are not incredible - although she does incredible things with her still prodigious ability. YMMV but I save the "incredible" qualifier for players who we know are well into the 30s; this includes our own Gabby Williams and Lorin Dixon, Armintie (Price) Herrington and Brianna Turner. All of these women have been researched and discussed in past BY threads re: vertical and are documented at well over 30".

Maya actually has some extra gifts that allow her to use her vertical more effectively in game situations than others with the same measured leap, but I digress.
Excellent post IMHO, and it goes back to the "debate" in another thread where I called Turner a better athlete that Stewart. a 7" wingspan gives the illusion of incredible athleticism, but Stewart is not incredibly athletic, just incredibly skilled and an incredible basketball player.
Barring a transformational improvement of epic proportions, imagining Courtney EVER being able to "stay ahead" of Napheesa and Katie Lou in playing time boggles the mind. I'd love to see her play better, but (foot injury aside) even when 'healthy,' Courtney showed major weaknesses in many critical aspects of her game. Weaknesses that are innate and pretty damn difficult to dramatically improve.

Having seen Lou and Napheesa play so extraordinarily well at the International level (Courtney not), and given they are two of the highest (unanimously) ranked players in their class (#1 and #6), even given the big step-up to college play and the challenges freshmen face, playing fewer minutes than Ekmark this year would mean they've not nearly lived up to Geno's expectations, and they have hugely disappointed. And I just do not see that happening.

I love Courtney and wish her the best, but with Gabby (potentially starting!) and Saniya already well ahead of her on the depth chart, competing for minutes with the likes of our two fabulous freshmen Napheesa and Lou is going to prove to be a daunting challenge Courtney most likely cannot overcome.
I LOVE all the players who come thru UCONN - no matter how they work out. Having said that, it's not unfair nor unkind IMHO to be realistic about players on the team and their skill-sets and potential. Potential, of course, is subjective, but this season presents huge opportunities and challenges for Chong and Ekmark. I think Saniya is in a much better position to carve out PT and a place in the rotation since she can play the 1 as well as the 2, but Ekmark, unfortunately, needs (as you said) a "transformational improvement of epic proportions" (which, btw, was quite eloquent).

In spite of the fact that KLS and NC are freshmen, I see them as easily ahead of Courtney on the depth chart, and even tho Boykin is a forward and not a guard like CE, I see De'Janae ahead of CE as well... I'm really rooting for Courtney and hope she sticks it out and becomes the best player she can, but I worry that her upside, as far as PT goes, may be in the same category as Tahirah Williams...

IMHO... starters of Mo, Kia, Morgan, Stewie and Natalie
First 2 off the bench - Saniya and Gabby
Hot on their heels - KLS and Napheesa
Then comes DJB
Courtney and Pulido/Lawler will come last. Lots of potential PT due to lopsided games, but if Geno does not see real potential growth in Courtney, I could see him giving the PT to DJB who has a greater upside...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I would think the exhibition game(s) is the first challenge for CE.

Reaction Score
I've had the opportunity to watch a few of KLS games over the past couple of years. Folks expectations might be a little high...she was a great high school player who has plenty of room to improve. Her game is a little one-sided. Be patient...she's not gonna come in and take over. What I've seen of Napheesa this summer, I believe she's ahead in her development right now. What a depth of talent Geno has. It might be his greatest challenge to play them all. Wouldn't be surprised if someone left before the New Year.
No doubt about what you say of Collier. Her U19 showed a real positive side for Uconn. I too don't doubt what you say of Katie Lou, we tend to forget she was playing AAU/HS basketball. Geno saw her huge upside and her lineage. Bonnie was only a shooter until her Junior year then became a defender too. In UConn's loss last year it was Bonnie who slowed down KML. I have great doubts about your last line---maybe hopes. The Sophs and Saniya have put an awful lot of work and emotions into being a Husky. However, if any have desires for something beyond college--they may need another team to show off their real talents, I certainly hope the don't.

Reaction Score
Excellent post IMHO, and it goes back to the "debate" in another thread where I called Turner a better athlete that Stewart. a 7" wingspan gives the illusion of incredible athleticism, but Stewart is not incredibly athletic, just incredibly skilled and an incredible basketball player.
I LOVE all the players who come thru UCONN - no matter how they work out. Having said that, it's not unfair nor unkind IMHO to be realistic about players on the team and their skill-sets and potential. Potential, of course, is subjective, but this season presents huge opportunities and challenges for Chong and Ekmark. I think Saniya is in a much better position to carve out PT and a place in the rotation since she can play the 1 as well as the 2, but Ekmark, unfortunately, needs (as you said) a "transformational improvement of epic proportions" (which, btw, was quite eloquent).

In spite of the fact that KLS and NC are freshmen, I see them as easily ahead of Courtney on the depth chart, and even tho Boykin is a forward and not a guard like CE, I see De'Janae ahead of CE as well... I'm really rooting for Courtney and hope she sticks it out and becomes the best player she can, but I worry that her upside, as far as PT goes, may be in the same category as Tahirah Williams...

Then comes DJB
Courtney and Pulido/Lawler will come last. Lots of potential PT due to lopsided games, but if Geno does not see real potential growth in Courtney, I could see him giving the PT to DJB who has a greater upside...

I think all of US are judging Courtney as a disabled/rehabbing player and forget she put lots of effort into being a husky. Geno must have seen something good in her, he recruited her and she was the first Frosh off the bench last year--until she was hurt.
The year of practice and understanding of Geno's expectations and IF her 3 shooting returns--KLS may not be ahead of Courtney. If she shoots the 3 as was advertised prior to being a husky that's her upside and her role at Uconn. Someone to break the zones.
359 Div one WBB coaches out of 360 would love to have Geno's problems with talent!!!

Reaction Score

Then comes DJB
Love your remarks about Breanna! Her skillset and wingspan really give some people an illusion of her being a much better athlete than she, in reality, is! Obviously she's a superstar but there seems to be some who might want to anoint her as being comparable athletically as is Maya or some others!

Reaction Score
I thank you for the welcome. I know I can be a little long "winded" but I am always taking the approach that I could actually be read by some common sense, reasonable, and logical people who might have a change of mind given what I present for an argument. I also try to be respectful as long as I can get that in return. In any case I am looking forward to the start of the season, who's the 5th starter, who starts getting minutes early on, etc. Stay healthy and look forward to a great year, maybe the ultimate record setter for Stewie and Mo.
From previous experience with you---you maintain a cool head, positive approach, respectful and intelligence in you comments. Naples must have a market on great UConn supporters!! In your next comment (I just read) I liked that you will wait and see how or who gets off the bench first. Only super freshmen in the past got off the bench first. Which of the newbees has that potential??

Reaction Score
Ekmark, unfortunately, needs (as you said) a "transformational improvement of epic proportions" (which, btw, was quite eloquent).

Then comes DJB

Thank you, EricLA. Religiously reading Professor Kibitzer's posts is clearly helping.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think all of US are judging Courtney as a disabled/rehabbing player and forget she put lots of effort into being a husky. Geno must have seen something good in her, he recruited her and she was the first Frosh off the bench last year--until she was hurt.
The year of practice and understanding of Geno's expectations and IF her 3 shooting returns--KLS may not be ahead of Courtney. If she shoots the 3 as was advertised prior to being a husky that's her upside and her role at Uconn. Someone to break the zones.
359 Div one WBB coaches out of 360 would love to have Geno's problems with talent!!!
Kia was the first Freshmen off the bench last year not Courtney. Look at the replay of the UC Davis and you will see that Kia was on her second rotation before Courtney came in the game. 3 point shooting is not going to be enough to get Courtney in the rotation this year. Courtney must show that she can defend her position and also demonstrate that she can move the ball and hit open teammates. Chong got taken out of starting line up because she could not defend her position after a game where she hit 4 Treys- Stanford.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, 3-point shooting isn't going to cut it. Stewart, Nurse, Tuck, and Moriah can all hit 3s, so if you want to crack the rotation you will need more than that.

Reaction Score
Buzzboy, you have no clue what you're talking about. Remember the block where she ran full court and blocked the shot when the other player had a very big head start, that was athleticism. Open your eyes...[mod edit to remover personal attack]

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't quite understand where you say Breanna has these outstanding ups and that KLS won't ever compare. That's not what I see out of Breanna because I think it's an illusion based on her unbelievable wing span. I'm a super Breanna fan but I have never felt that she had great hops!
This is no illusion. TBS has mad ups and body control!
14658883-essay.jpg

Reaction Score
Barring a transformational improvement of epic proportions, imagining Courtney EVER being able to "stay ahead" of Napheesa and Katie Lou in playing time boggles the mind. I'd love to see her play better, but (foot injury aside) even when 'healthy,' Courtney showed major weaknesses in many critical aspects of her game. Weaknesses that are innate and pretty damn difficult to dramatically improve

What you are saying is interesting to me. The summer of Ekmark arrival in Storrs I made the unfortunate mistake at telling her supporters that they were off the charts in their enthusism about how she would transform things. I said that based on the tapes that I saw she was

Reaction Score
What you are saying is interesting to me. The summer of Ekmark arrival in Storrs I made the unfortunate .mistake at telling her supporters that they were off the charts in their enthusism about how she would transform things. I said that based on the tapes that I saw, she appeared intelligent/mature and a good set shot shooter. Indeed, I saw her more of a Duke type recruit then Uconn. She has not disappointed me: I hope she can make the soph. jump that is so often talked about. But I have never come to terms with the role so many have carved out for her even before her arrival. Perhaps she should have taken a place beside Butler last year! As much as I'm impressed with Collier, I will not cast caution to the winds. She and the others will have to learn to play at Uconn. Defensely, she appears to be light years ahead of some others in- and out of her class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"The summer of Ekmark arrival in Storrs I made the unfortunate mistake at telling her supporters that they were off the charts in their enthusiasm about how she would transform things"- So you are validating your prediction from a year ago based on Courtney having played 1 injured year? Courtney has 3 years of eligibility left to invalidate your prediction. The enthusiasm from her supporters was definitely justified.
"You just wait and see, She (Courtney) is going to be one of Geno Auriema's favorite players. She reminds me so much of Kelly Faris, only with a better shot as a younger player."
Bret McCormick, All Star Girls Basketball '2014.
http://articles.courant.com/2014-01-20/sports/hc-uconn-women-0121-20140120_1_courtney-ekmark-uconn-women-kia-nurse
"I think Courtney shoots the ball and knows the game about as well as anybody we have ever recruited"
Geno Auriema' November 2013
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2013/11/geno-auriemma-happy-with-uconns-early.html
"I saw her more of a Duke type recruit then Uconn". Not sure when this (UCONN recruit > Duke recruit) happened.

"Perhaps she should have taken a place beside Butler last year! " Why? Butler was required to sit per NCAA rules. Courtney had no such restriction, let her play and enjoy the effort!

Reaction Score

When you're tall, long and athletic like Stewie, I don't think it's so important to be a phenomenal leaper and to have a great vertical. Given her height, length and athleticism, what is critically important is great TIMING. And Stewie has an extraordinary sense of timing. Many of her greatest blocks (and rebounds and putbacks)) were less the result of any leaping ability and more about how perfectly she times her jump. Heck, in the South Carolina game, two great blocks came when she was actually flat-footed and never left the ground, but the timing of her outstretched arms and her positioning were perfect, and Mitchell and Welch ate leather. Vertical numbers can impress, especially if you're talking about dunking- but that seems irrelevant in the women's game.

However, if you're talking about someone like Gabby Williams who is undersized and plays down low, day in and day out against kids 4-6 inches taller, I DO think vertical is critical. And Gabby has that in spades! Gabby is rebounding, defending and shooting among the trees, putting her at a distinct disadvantage. For her, that super leaping ability is a must, and without it she would be relatively ineffective in the paint. Kelly Faris was an excellent rebounder at 5'11', but she clearly didn't have much of a vertical. Her great timing (and fearlessness) enabled her to rebound inside against much bigger kids.

I have NO evidence, but having watched Morgan play these past few years, I'd guess she has a very average vertical, yet at barely 6'2" she manages to score among the really big kids, all the time. Quick feet and more importantly, great timing, enable her to be the great post player and All-American she is.

As they say on The Street, timing is everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69