Katie Lou Samuelson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BILLNAPLES : The caveat as always is barring injury, illness, or academics (I know, kind of silly for the Women's team) but I see Butler as the 5th starter. Chong likely at this point to be first off the bench at either point or #2, Gabby for now at the 3 or 4. Where Ekmark or the three frosh can carve out time will be a work in progress. Pulido & Lawler will mostly enjoy the best seats in the house. Reality is there are but 200 minutes available night in and night out. Even in AAC blowouts at least 100 will go to the first five. Then there are 6 scholarship players, how many for whom. If the effort is there from all 6 then GA, CD, SR, and MM have one tough job making that all work for time. Could be another transfer like Sadie. It will be interesting. BTW anyone see a schedule yet? Wondering when the team will be at UCF and/or USF. Worth the drive.

-Welcome to the Boneyard, BillNaples. I can only hope you won't prove to be as disagreeable, verbose, opinionated and insufferable as your annoying brother David. :rolleyes:
-I see you are as cocksure as your bro that Natalie will be the fifth starter- peas in a pod, you two.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like to know who this Boykins player is. Is she anything like Steph or KLM? Also, I wouldn't worry about transfers. Two starters (plus Pulido?) depart after this season.

Reaction Score
Most players look to bond with their teammates. Katie Lou seems very close to Napheesa and De"Janae. I'm fairly certain that Katie Lou doesn't just want out of UConn to become the best basketball player she can be.

Reaction Score
Then there is this from her Matre Dei Coach:

"When Kaleena left here, I believe she was looking for a family to join. She yearned for the closeness she was missing [in high school]. Sometimes, things just weren't easy for Kaleena.

"But she got exactly what she was looking for at UConn. She happily embraced the culture. I think she needed it and I know she's enjoyed it.

"As for Katie Lou, she's not really searching for all that. She just wants to maximize her basketball ability against the best players in the country. She's a confident person who just wants to see how good she can be. She doesn't worry about what people think. She'a straightforward smart girl and she wants to see how good a player Coach Auriemma can make her."
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...en-insider-mater-dei-0220-20150219-story.html

Bodes well I think?? Maybe??? He he he. Confident, focused, grounded and bring it on. This new group should keep us happy and in chat fodder for a long, long time.
Sounds a lot like Stewie, " Wants to be the best basketball player she can be, and wants to see how good Geno can make her." That's a win- win situation.

Reaction Score
I think what we'll discover, if we don't believe this to be the case already, is that Lou is, quite simply, a natural. Period.

I've had the opportunity to watch a few of KLS games over the past couple of years. Folks expectations might be a little high...she was a great high school player who has plenty of room to improve. Her game is a little one-sided. Be patient...she's not gonna come in and take over. What I've seen of Napheesa this summer, I believe she's ahead in her development right now. What a depth of talent Geno has. It might be his greatest challenge to play them all. Wouldn't be surprised if someone left before the New Year.

Reaction Score
-Welcome to the Boneyard, BillNaples. I can only hope you won't prove to be as disagreeable, verbose, opinionated and insufferable as your annoying brother David. :rolleyes:
-I see you are as cocksure as your bro that Natalie will be the fifth starter- peas in a pod, you two.
I guess to start with, a cautious thank you for the welcome. Last things first. Given the lack of anything concrete to the contrary Butler, with a full season of practice behind her, I would expect her to be far ahead of the three freshman in almost any aspect of the wonderful world of Geno. The only chance I see other than Butler would be Williams as she plays much taller and is so athletic. You think otherwise is an opinion you can enjoy, and we'll find out in 10-11 weeks. As to the rest of your hopes for what I may or may not be I will say is there really any point to joining boards such as these if you don't have an opinion to espouse? I suspect those who can't or won't agree with a case I make could find me disagreeable and or insufferable. I try to make whatever point I take with facts and am willing to listen to logic and reason. If that doesn't work for you I'm guessing you will also find me quite verbose. Of course not my problem.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've had the opportunity to watch a few of KLS games over the past couple of years. Folks expectations might be a little high...she was a great high school player who has plenty of room to improve. Her game is a little one-sided. Be patient...she's not gonna come in and take over. What I've seen of Napheesa this summer, I believe she's ahead in her development right now. What a depth of talent Geno has. It might be his greatest challenge to play them all. Wouldn't be surprised if someone left before the New Year.
I think you are probably right about defense being an area that Lou needs to work harder on, but I think her experience in college on this team on offense will not be as draining as it was for her in HS - the age of double and triple teams and of having to carry her team offensively is over for at least a year. And almost all HS players have to learn defense, very few are truly prepared for what that means. I think of I believe last years painful video of Stewart doing the same defensive drill over and over and over again - and she was a junior. Rebecca had a comment about how painful it was to watch in person.

Reaction Score
I guess to start with, a cautious thank you for the welcome. Last things first. Given the lack of anything concrete to the contrary Butler, with a full season of practice behind her, I would expect her to be far ahead of the three freshman in almost any aspect of the wonderful world of Geno. The only chance I see other than Butler would be Williams as she plays much taller and is so athletic. You think otherwise is an opinion you can enjoy, and we'll find out in 10-11 weeks. As to the rest of your hopes for what I may or may not be I will say is there really any point to joining boards such as these if you don't have an opinion to espouse? I suspect those who can't or won't agree with a case I make could find me disagreeable and or insufferable. I try to make whatever point I take with facts and am willing to listen to logic and reason. If that doesn't work for you I'm guessing you will also find me quite verbose. Of course not my problem.

Yikes! You obviously missed my clumsily inept attempt at humor. Being 'new' here, I should have realized you couldn't possibly have known that I have nothing but the utmost respect for DavidinNaples and that I also share the belief that Natalie will be next year's fifth starter. Lo siento, culpa mia.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The caveat as always is barring injury, illness, or academics (I know, kind of silly for the Women's team) but I see Butler as the 5th starter. Chong likely at this point to be first off the bench at either point or #2, Gabby for now at the 3 or 4. Where Ekmark or the three frosh can carve out time will be a work in progress. Pulido & Lawler will mostly enjoy the best seats in the house. Reality is there are but 200 minutes available night in and night out. Even in AAC blowouts at least 100 will go to the first five. Then there are 6 scholarship players, how many for whom. If the effort is there from all 6 then GA, CD, SR, and MM have one tough job making that all work for time. Could be another transfer like Sadie. It will be interesting. BTW anyone see a schedule yet? Wondering when the team will be at UCF and/or USF. Worth the drive.
Do you know Dave?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard. Just one small warning....

cc9093d42c57a30fe3c0bfa2c7395c24948808b9cf2cccbbb3007af4535245a4.jpg

Reaction Score
I would like to know who this Boykins player is. Is she anything like Steph or KLM? Also, I wouldn't worry about transfers. Two starters (plus Pulido?) depart after this season.
Being from Prince Georges County Maryland I got to see a lot of De'Janae Boykins. Before she got hurt in her senior year she was a double-double machine with three point range. I was very high on her until I saw her play against Eleanor Roosevelt in the Maryland state regionals. There she was thoroughly outplayed by Kaila Charles who held her to 9 points. Maryland decided to go to Connecticut to sign Kiah Gillespie and got the verbal from Charles for 2016. Boykins may get her form back or maybe not but she will have to work extemely hard to get playing time.

Reaction Score
Can anyone really know Dave? I hear he is an enigma, inside a puzzle, wrapped around a Bokamper's beer...:rolleyes:
hmmm...never heard of a beer wrapper, Bokamper's or otherwise. My daughter did comfort me one very chilly Spring Weekend evening on her way to X-Lot as follows:

Me: It's cold out sweetie, stay warm.
Her: Dad, I'm wearing my beer jacket.

Reaction Score
The caveat as always is barring injury, illness, or academics (I know, kind of silly for the Women's team) but I see Butler as the 5th starter. Chong likely at this point to be first off the bench at either point or #2, Gabby for now at the 3 or 4. Where Ekmark or the three frosh can carve out time will be a work in progress. Pulido & Lawler will mostly enjoy the best seats in the house. Reality is there are but 200 minutes available night in and night out. Even in AAC blowouts at least 100 will go to the first five. Then there are 6 scholarship players, how many for whom. If the effort is there from all 6 then GA, CD, SR, and MM have one tough job making that all work for time. Could be another transfer like Sadie. It will be interesting. BTW anyone see a schedule yet? Wondering when the team will be at UCF and/or USF. Worth the drive.

WELCOME Bill. I always enjoyed your postings in the Hartford Courant Uconn WBB column comments. You are intelligent, insightful, and knowledge able. My first postings in the Boneyard I referred to DavidNNaples as Bill thinking it you. You both know your stuff.
Nice to have a guy who doesn't get nasty, just writes the fact. Welcome.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Being from Prince Georges County Maryland I got to see a lot of De'Janae Boykins. Before she got hurt in her senior year she was a double-double machine with three point range. I was very high on her until I saw her play against Eleanor Roosevelt in the Maryland state regionals. There she was thoroughly outplayed by Kaila Charles who held her to 9 points. Maryland decided to go to Connecticut to sign Kiah Gillespie and got the verbal from Charles for 2016. Boykins may get her form back or maybe not but she will have to work extemely hard to get playing time.

Why am I skeptical when a Maryland fan comes on the Boneyard to inform us that a UConn recruit was "thoroughly outplayed" by a Maryland recruit? Let's let wait and see how they actually perform in college before judging the talent of either player. I, for one, am pleased that Boykin is a Husky and believe she will be an important contributor during her career at UConn.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I've had the opportunity to watch a few of KLS games over the past couple of years. Folks expectations might be a little high...she was a great high school player who has plenty of room to improve. Her game is a little one-sided. Be patient...she's not gonna come in and take over. What I've seen of Napheesa this summer, I believe she's ahead in her development right now. What a depth of talent Geno has. It might be his greatest challenge to play them all.
Wouldn't be surprised if someone left before the New Year.

Every party has a pooper.....

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Why am I skeptical when a Maryland fan comes on the Boneyard to inform us that a UConn recruit was "thoroughly outplayed" by a Maryland recruit? Let's let wait and see how they actually perform in college before judging the talent of either player. I, for one, am pleased that Boykin is a Husky and believe she will be an important contributor during her career at UConn.
I'm rooting hardest for Boykin. Hers is an impressive story and I really want her to succeed at UCONN. She doesn't strike me as being someone who would transfer out in December.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Can anyone really know Dave? I hear he is an enigma, inside a puzzle, wrapped around a Bokamper's beer...:rolleyes:

;)Nice paraphrase of a famous quote about Russia in WW II by Winston Churchill:

"Russia is a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member