Kate Fagan: Great story about life for Griner in China - "Held Up In Customs" | The Boneyard

Kate Fagan: Great story about life for Griner in China - "Held Up In Customs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That coach sounds like a real joy to be around. I like how she dangled her whistle in front of them as if to say "see, I am the coach." And she coaches becasue it makes her feel powerful.

Reaction Score
All that money for four months of playing basketball?

I hope Shoni goes there next year!

Reaction Score
That coach sounds like a real joy to be around. I like how she dangled her whistle in front of them as if to say "see, I am the coach." And she coaches becasue it makes her feel powerful.
The article quotes her as saying that they'd get someone else to take her place.

I doubt that very much. There's noone else like her. She'd just go to another team.

Reaction Score
I doubt that very much. There's noone else like her. She'd just go to another team.

Well, she's still young. The interesting thing about Griner is that I don't believe she's yet fully grasped how dominant she can be, even after dominating at Baylor and in China. It will probably come in time.

Griner is one of a small number of players that I play mental "what if" games with - what if she had gone to UConn? Not every player is compatible with a coach like Geno, but my gut tells me that Griner would have been.

What a frightening nightmare . . . for the rest of WCBB. ;)

Reaction Score
How do you think she would've played differently under Geno?

Dolson turned out to be a dominant player this year in a different way.

Reaction Score
How do you think she would've played differently under Geno?

Dolson turned out to be a dominant player this year in a different way.

I will emphasize that she wouldn't necessarily be outright better at UConn (and certainly not in raw ppg numbers). She was great at Baylor and would be great no matter where she went.

But I do think that Geno wouldn't have been satisfied with having her spend so much time banging about in the low post. He would have tried to incorporate her into his usual motion offenses, with the posting up option being used selectively rather than as the default. A Griner in motion is a Griner that's much harder to stop with the usual "throw three bodies at her" technique. Her passes to the open player at Baylor could be effective, but perhaps not as common as they would be at UConn - I think Geno would emphasize that more aggressively as a counter to the hack-a-Griner strategy.

A side effect of this is that I expect she would have actually had more opportunities to dunk at UConn; with all respect to Mulkey and ETT, I think UConn is better at delivering open lanes to the basket for its players. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I will emphasize that she wouldn't necessarily be outright better at UConn (and certainly not in raw ppg numbers). She was great at Baylor and would be great no matter where she went.

But I do think that Geno wouldn't have been satisfied with having her spend so much time banging about in the low post. He would have tried to incorporate her into his usual motion offenses, with the posting up option being used selectively rather than as the default. A Griner in motion is a Griner that's much harder to stop with the usual "throw three bodies at her" technique. Her passes to the open player at Baylor could be effective, but perhaps not as common as they would be at UConn - I think Geno would emphasize that more aggressively as a counter to the hack-a-Griner strategy.

A side effect of this is that I expect she would have actually had more opportunities to dunk at UConn; with all respect to Mulkey and ETT, I think UConn is better at delivering open lanes to the basket for its players. ;)

I agree completely. I think that she was not used as well as she could have been at Baylor and would have been a consistent shooter from 15 feet, and probably farther out to the 3 point line, much like Dolson.

I desperately want to see Geno get his hands on her on the Olympic team, and I am guessing that he would enjoy that immensely. I think that time would be more beneficial to her than any other period of her career. When I heard that he was going to be the coach I was thrilled because I think he may be the only coach in WBB that will know how to use her skills to the fullest.

Reaction Score
Great article. Brittney is a great talent and I wish her well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom