Just watched UConn-Maryland Elite 8 game | The Boneyard

Just watched UConn-Maryland Elite 8 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
That was an amazing game. I found some old VHS tapes and watched while I used the treadmill. Really well-played for the most part. Significant contributions from Johnie Selvie, Tony Robertson, with a lot of reliance placed on freshman Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. This was the game where Caron Butler came out on fire in the second half and was just a force. Great battles between the front lines as well as between the guards. Caron was highlighted on one play for having boxed out Lonnie Baxter (who generally killed us). Taliek hit big baskets in the first half especially. Tony Robertson had some great plays, including a fantastic baseline layup late in the game. Juan Dixon was too good and Steve Blake hit the big shot. Both Ben and Emeka showed signs of what was to come, but just weren't quite ready.

Mike Hayes and Justin Brown contributed with some fouls. I think there was a brief appearance by Scott Hazelton. Tough loss but a classic game. Billy Packer was the color man and in this game, he was very positive toward UConn and Calhoun's coaching. Sweaty went to a zone late and this hurt our team, who struggled to attack it.

Reaction Score
I could call you a masochist but its actually funny how little these crushing defeats, i.e. UF, UCLA, Miss St, MD affect me now that we have won twice as many titles as anyone else the 15 years.

Reaction Score
I could call you a masochist but its actually funny how little these crushing defeats, i.e. UF, UCLA, Miss St, MD affect me now that we have won twice as many titles as anyone else the 15 years.
Yeah, same for me as well. The losses have become more of a distant memory esp. with the 2 recent titles. I'd like to keep it that way as Ihave no desire to re-watch those games that UConn lost.

Reaction Score
If this loss was pre 1999 it would have been more painful.
Instead we pretty much saw a future second NC in this loss.
What a difference winning one makes.
When I recently watched this game I had forgotten how good Selvie,and Robertson were.
Justin Brown actually played significant minutes ,what ever happened to him ,or for that matter Aussie Cuz.?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I remember an alley oop to Wilcox where he just extended and went over the top of an outstretched Emeka.

All I could think was that in one or two years, it would be Emeka on top. When he hit those shots against dook and was a man amongst boys in 2004 the circle of life was complete.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Dixon shot at 77-74 was probably the shot of the game - Blake's three was big, but that came when we were down 83-80.

In the end, the difference was that they got 39 minutes out of Dixon and 36 minutes out of Baxter while UConn had to sit Caron for seven minutes in the first half with foul trouble.

Basically, Caron on the bench was the reason for the seven-point deficit at the half.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Painful loss, but one of the few I don't mind watching because of the heroic second half effort by the entire team. Caron was the main man, obviously, but everyone was making plays down the stretch to keep us in it. The BG punch pass and a Taliek layup come to mind.

Reaction Score
I watched that game in a bar at the Atlanta airport waiting for a connection and my memory of that game was that we would have won if Caron was the only guy on the team to shoot it in the last 5 minutes or so. Dude was on fire.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The Dixon shot at 77-74 was probably the shot of the game - Blake's three was big, but that came when we were down 83-80.

In the end, the difference was that they got 39 minutes out of Dixon and 36 minutes out of Baxter while UConn had to sit Caron for seven minutes in the first half with foul trouble.

Basically, Caron on the bench was the reason for the seven-point deficit at the half.

It also hurt that Emeka got his 4th foul at about the 4 minute mark left in the game on what looked like a poor call. Baxter was initiating contact as he drove diagonally across the lane. In any case, Juan Dixon was the player who made the most key plays for Maryland....it seemed like he never missed.

Reaction Score
Emeka got jobbed in that game. Every contact, even when initiated by Maryland, was called a foul on Emeka.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Had to sit Caron? What page is that rule on?

Reaction Score
Had to sit Caron? What page is that rule on?

I agree with you.

For as much as the 2004 FF vs. Duke is evidence in favor of those who supported JC's 2-foul "rule", this game is evidence against.

Reaction Score
I agree with you.

For as much as the 2004 FF vs. Duke is evidence in favor of those who supported JC's 2-foul "rule", this game is evidence against.

And even 2004 isn't a clear-cut example of it working. We were down eight with under three to go, in large part because of Emeka spending so much time on the bench. If Rashad doesn't hit that three, we're wondering what would have happened had Emeka been allowed to play.

Reaction Score
Remember when Maryland had a good basketball team for two years?

Reaction Score
I was at that game. Yeah the Dixon shot was a dagger.

Longest 6 hour ride home ever.

I remember at the end of the game getting into it with some Maryland fans.

I had on a 1999 NC shirt and told them to go get one before opening their mouths.(they did get one-BUT just one).

Reaction Score
And even 2004 isn't a clear-cut example of it working. We were down eight with under three to go, in large part because of Emeka spending so much time on the bench. If Rashad doesn't hit that three, we're wondering what would have happened had Emeka been allowed to play.
thats true but the juxtoposition of williams ( who K refused to sit) and okafor was stark. so was the one between nick horvath and OAK! "get the ball to okafor".

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:

And 2002 isn't necessarily an example of it not working. Caron was shot out of a cannon in the second half and we erased the 7-point deficit in no time. And we had the three-point lead with four to play, when a more experienced Maryland team just made more plays (which is probably what would have happened no matter what zig-zagging route the game took to get to crunch time). Does Caron play that aggressively in the second half with three fouls? We'll never know. Do we play as well in the second half against Butler if some of our key guys had three? We'll also never know.

This year, Bazz sat a long time against Nova, which was scary going to the bench down 10. If we had fallen behind by 15, I imagine that rule would have been waived. But Boat-Samuel-Kromah proved to be impossible to score on and we actually took the lead.

The key to it all is that if you believe in doing it, then you stick to your guns and you do it. You don't want to go against your principles as a coach and second guess yourself.

Reaction Score
I was at that game. Yeah the Dixon shot was a dagger.

Longest 6 hour ride home ever.

I remember at the end of the game getting into it with some Maryland fans.

I had on a 1999 NC shirt and told them to go get one before opening their mouths.(they did get one-BUT just one).

Disagree on the ride home. I felt like we gave it our all that day, played great and lost a close game to the best team in the country. I felt like Husky Nation left the building that day disappointed but proud.

That drive was a heck of a lot easier than the drive home from DC in '06. Not even close.

Reaction Score
That was an amazing game. I found some old VHS tapes and watched while I used the treadmill. Really well-played for the most part. Significant contributions from Johnie Selvie, Tony Robertson, with a lot of reliance placed on freshman Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. This was the game where Caron Butler came out on fire in the second half and was just a force. Great battles between the front lines as well as between the guards. Caron was highlighted on one play for having boxed out Lonnie Baxter (who generally killed us). Taliek hit big baskets in the first half especially. Tony Robertson had some great plays, including a fantastic baseline layup late in the game. Juan Dixon was too good and Steve Blake hit the big shot. Both Ben and Emeka showed signs of what was to come, but just weren't quite ready.

Mike Hayes and Justin Brown contributed with some fouls. I think there was a brief appearance by Scott Hazelton. Tough loss but a classic game. Billy Packer was the color man and in this game, he was very positive toward UConn and Calhoun's coaching. Sweaty went to a zone late and this hurt our team, who struggled to attack it.

Definitely a super fun to game watch and a good loss (if there is such a thing). Remember being a little sad knowing that was probably Caron's last game playing for UConn...I'll never forget that dunk he had at the end of the game...(with that dunk he) basically told everyone watching that he was the best player on the court hands down.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the Captain Awesome part of being a UConn fan.

Every program has teams throughout its history good enough to win a championship. And every program has teams that win it all that needed a bit of luck or good fortune to win it all.

When you have an elite program the good breaks and the bad breaks even out.

As a UConn fans we can easily point to three years we could have won it and didn't. That would include 89, 95, 02 and 06. Any of them are up for debate, but UConn didn't do it.

On the other side of the ledger is '11 and '14. You can make the argument that both teams needed outside help (more 11 than 14).

Bottom line is that since 1989 UConn has had a minimum of four championship teams and as many as six.

It's good to be a Husky fan.

Reaction Score
Yeah, same for me as well. The losses have become more of a distant memory esp. with the 2 recent titles. I'd like to keep it that way as Ihave no desire to re-watch those games that UConn lost.

When people tally up F4s, they should have a look at E8s as well, especially if you lose a couple times to the eventual national champion. I'm not going to look this up, but didn't UConn also lose in S16 to UNC in one of their championship years?

Reaction Score
And 2002 isn't necessarily an example of it not working. Caron was shot out of a cannon in the second half and we erased the 7-point deficit in no time. And we had the three-point lead with four to play, when a more experienced Maryland team just made more plays (which is probably what would have happened no matter what zig-zagging route the game took to get to crunch time). Does Caron play that aggressively in the second half with three fouls? We'll never know. Do we play as well in the second half against Butler if some of our key guys had three? We'll also never know.

This year, Bazz sat a long time against Nova, which was scary going to the bench down 10. If we had fallen behind by 15, I imagine that rule would have been waived. But Boat-Samuel-Kromah proved to be impossible to score on and we actually took the lead.

The key to it all is that if you believe in doing it, then you stick to your guns and you do it. You don't want to go against your principles as a coach and second guess yourself.

Another big one that people forget.

The 2011 championship game. The last 10 minutes of the first half were a cluster frig. At some point, the entire starting 5 sat. After the 10 minute mark, we had multiple players with 2 fouls sitting. Our thin bench was playing, and we scored one or two baskets. This is what contributed to the perception of an awful game.

In the second half, UConn scored 34 points and shot 50%.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Every program has teams throughout its history good enough to win a championship. And every program has teams that win it all that needed a bit of luck or good fortune to win it all.
When you have an elite program the good breaks and the bad breaks even out.

I appreciate the way our bad breaks have been pretty much front-loaded.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I walked away from that loss feeling proud of our UCONN team and AMAZED with Caron.

And while I feel we could have won the Championsip. MD was a great team. Same with UCLA in 95.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom