Just my random thought: B1G Should have taken UConn and cuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just my random thought: B1G Should have taken UConn and cuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Seaa Blue said:
Never understood this:

You did it wrong:

Despite Carrier
Titan of H-V-A-C
No A/C in Dome

Reaction Score
Never understood this:
I thought it was strange too. Spent some time up there and the news, at that time, was that Trane was hired to cool buildings at the NY State Fairgrounds. Carrier's not what it used to be.

Reaction Score
Not only that..... Cuse is sorta like a Northwestern "lite" who would probably be bypassed today because its doubledipping in Illinois and not a large flagship or research oriented school nor is Cuse close enough to Toronto. Heck PSU already has central NY covered and here in the Capitol Region they have NO following so why would the NY/NJ region care? Cuse is trending the wrong way for the BTN!!!

From an academic standpoint, and everyone knows that is a key factor for B1G, Syracuse is not on the same page as Northwestern. Northwestern is AAU, Syracuse suspended itself from the AAU just before the AAU canned them (sound familiar?). Syracuse has a $1.8 billion endowment (and yes, UConn's sucks) whereas Northwestern is $7.8 billion. Northwestern ranks #13 in US news, which is ahead of some Ivies, while Syracuse is #58, which tied with UConn. Plus, Northwestern is actually within a major metropolitan area all of 14 miles from downtown Chicago while Syracuse says its in a major city; but, it is actually 250 miles from Times Square.

Syracuse's biggest positive, half of ESPN management went there.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is geographically closer to Cleveland than NYC.

Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State are all geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse.

Reaction Score
BTW I get the impression they opted out of AAU seeing the writing on the wall to save face. Anyway Dayooper..point taken.

Yep, with a couple of B1G schools hollering, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out" right behind them.

But...I've spent my whole life being surprised by who will kiss and make up if enough money's involved.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State are all geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse.
FYI UConn is about half the distance to MSG that Syracuse is.

Storrs to MSG is 137 miles.
Syracuse to MSG is 249 miles.

Gretchen

Civilly Disobedient
Reaction Score
I don't buy this--I heard from multiple directions that the very first school B1G offered, before Nebraska, was Vanderbilt.

I suspect that the prime metric--at least then, before anyone knew how the B1G Network thing would turn out--was research $. Don't know that's necessarily changed.
Right. Not suggesting athletic $'s are irrelevant (they aren't) but I think in the final analysis it's still research dollars, university prestige, etc., which generally speaking drives the B1G bus. As such I believe B1G would want UVa over Tech. UNC over State (well, before 'it' hit the fan), etc. Furthermore, they love being associated with institutions like John H. I understand B1G is making a push to get Johns Hopkins to join CIC. Lots of research dollars / prestige in that arrangement.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell a school's leaning just from board comments....We all know Notre Dame will never join a conference in football...yet the Domer fans yack about it...

I agree that everyone misses regionality, and it takes a while to feel comfortable in a new conference situation...Penn State has taken a couple of decades, as has FSU

Lol, only in response to "ND to the Big Ten" or "ND to the ACC" posts by others in threads.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not really disputing any of that. The B1G has certainly gained market share in the mid-atlantic and NY area with the UMD and RU additions. My point is simply why stop there? If they could get Syracuse and UConn, they'd have the preeminent hoops matchup in the Northeast as a conference game and have the most popular college program in NY state in addittion to one with a major New England presence and elite hoops pedigree. How much market share would the ACC have in the Northeast with only BC and Pitt if UConn, Cuse, RU, UMD, and PSU were all in the B1G?

CR has absolutely nothing to do with basketball.

Reaction Score

And SUNJ, UMCP and PSU are all closer to Washington DC than Virginia Tech, but I can tell you that there are more Tech fans in the DC metro area than any of those not named UMCP... and I'm not certain there aren't more Hokies than Terps. At least I know Terps are highly outnumbered south of the Potomac. I think the same dynamic works in NYC except for SUNJ. In reality, there are more Michigan, ND and Florida fans in NYC than SU or Rutgers.

Another interesting tidbit - Blacksburg VA is closer to Columbus than PSU, UMCP and SUNJ. Also closer to Ann Arbor than Rutgers and almost the same distance to Ann Arbor as UMCP. Blacksburg is also much closer to the Indiana schools when compared to the B1G's eastern members. When looking at OSU's conference foes, only Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, MSU and UM are closer than VT... the rest are farther away from Columbus. It's a shame every conference seems to cringe at the thought of adding WVU (for the record I don't), but Morgantown would be very close to a bunch of B1G schools and would create automatic football rivalries as they hate everyone they play.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
And SUNJ, UMCP and PSU are all closer to Washington DC than Virginia Tech, but I can tell you that there are more Tech fans in the DC metro area than any of those not named UMCP... and I'm not certain there aren't more Hokies than Terps. At least I know Terps are highly outnumbered south of the Potomac. I think the same dynamic works in NYC except for SUNJ. In reality, there are more Michigan, ND and Florida fans in NYC than SU or Rutgers.

Another interesting tidbit - Blacksburg VA is closer to Columbus than PSU, UMCP and SUNJ. Also closer to Ann Arbor than Rutgers and almost the same distance to Ann Arbor as UMCP. Blacksburg is also much closer to the Indiana schools when compared to the B1G's eastern members. When looking at OSU's conference foes, only Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, MSU and UM are closer than VT... the rest are farther away from Columbus.

Question: What are your thoughts on VT eventually leaving the ACC for the Big10 of the SEC?

Reaction Score
Question: What are your thoughts on VT eventually leaving the ACC for the Big10 of the SEC?

I'd welcome either over the ACC. I'm already tired of small private schools who send only 10,000 fans to football games. I also don't care for the snobs in North Carolina (even NCSU thinks they're better than us -ha ha). I'm a State school / Land Grant guy and the B1G and SEC would fit better culturally. The only thing the ACC has going for it from a VT perspective is that we are in the geographic center of the conference. I like the B1G more than the SEC. The SEC feels like they take things waaaayyyy too serious. I know OSU and your Wolverines take it serious too, but the SEC schools just seem certifiable at times.... killing tress, shooting people in bars, over-agressive behavior. I don't get that with the B1G fans.

Unfortunately, I feel Tech's administration wants to stay in the ACC as long as the ACC is viable. We also aren't AAU and probably won't be for some time. That will keep us out of the B1G along with the fact that the B1G really wants UVa and UNC.

Reaction Score

Another interesting tidbit - Blacksburg VA is closer to Columbus than PSU, UMCP and SUNJ. Also closer to Ann Arbor than Rutgers and almost the same distance to Ann Arbor as UMCP. Blacksburg is also much closer to the Indiana schools when compared to the B1G's eastern members. When looking at OSU's conference foes, only Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, MSU and UM are closer than VT... the rest are farther away from Columbus. It's a shame every conference seems to cringe at the thought of adding WVU (for the record I don't), but Morgantown would be very close to a bunch of B1G schools and would create automatic football rivalries as they hate everyone they play.

I for one would be all for WVU to the B1g. I don't typically bring the idea up because I know from a market and academic perspective they are likely a non starter. Personally I'm not as hung up on the AAU Requirement, because it is a bogus argument. We all know ND would get in tomorrow AAU or not. WVU would be a fun rivalry for PSU, OSU, and UMD. People can argue academics all they want, but at the end of the day they would bring juice to both football and basketball.

Reaction Score

Thanks for your "misinformed" opinions without links on Md and RU on numbers of fans in OUR area. Mich? Fla? really? Doubt VPI has more fans in DC too though i realize their "VPI" popular there. WVU has more fans than VPI anywhere in Md and Jersey/Pennsy area's and probably WV proper? But unlike you I'm no expert.BTW I actually like VT but hopefully all their fan's aren't as arrogant as you?

Reaction Score
I for one would be all for WVU to the B1g. I don't typically bring the idea up because I know from a market and academic perspective they are likely a non starter. Personally I'm not as hung up on the AAU Requirement, because it is a bogus argument. We all know ND would get in tomorrow AAU or not. WVU would be a fun rivalry for PSU, OSU, and UMD. People can argue academics all they want, but at the end of the day they would bring juice to both football and basketball.
My NJ nephew went there "WVU" and in their house alway's follow and root for them..WV like Duke has followings in NJ ..VT? Not really that I've seen though i do like the school.

Reaction Score

Didn't the NY Times do a survey on CFB fans in the NYC area a couple yrs ago?

Reaction Score
Didn't the NY Times do a survey on CFB fans in the NYC area a couple yrs ago?

Yes, and it shows that UVA fans are concentrated around Charlotteville while VT fans are indeed a significant player in DC.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html?_r=0#8,38.538,-75.208

In NYC, I can't find the link; but, I believe the the Top 10 in alphabetical order (since I can't remember the actual ranking) is: 1) Army, 2) Duke, 3) Florida, 4) Michigan, 5) ND, 6) Penn St, 7) Ohio St, 8) Rutgers, 9) Syracuse, 10) UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes I couldnt either but i think it said only 1 school "ND" would have been a better add than RU and SU was below UConn even though SU is actually in the state!?!PSU was way up there too. I'm not talking about the bogus interactive which seemed senseless in many cases but an actual survey with numbers.

Reaction Score
Yes, and it shows that UVA fans are concentrated around Charlotteville while VT fans are indeed a significant player in DC.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html?_r=0#8,38.538,-75.208

In NYC, I can't find the link; but, I believe the the Top 10 in alphabetical order (since I can't remember the actual ranking) is: 1) Army, 2) Duke, 3) Florida, 4) Michigan, 5) ND, 6) Penn St, 7) Ohio St, 8) Rutgers, 9) Syracuse, 10) UConn.
Yes VT is a player in DC just not near a "dominant" player...but im no expert on the DC area..just that VT doesn't seem to have much juice in NY/NJ from what i can tell.Now WVU a different story..they seem to have a Md/NJ/NY presence...surprised i don't see them on that interactive map since DC/Md is 1 of there strongholds for fans and recruiting.

Reaction Score
Yes I couldnt either but i think it said only 1 school "ND" would have been a better add than RU and SU was below UConn even though SU is actually in the state!?!PSU was way up there too. I'm not talking about the bogus interactive which seemed senseless in many cases but an actual survey with numbers.
here it is: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images...tyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCTV-blog480.png

and the page it came from: http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

RU is first in NYC, ahead of ND or anyone else. 20% share of the market, which has to have only risen since this was done in 2011.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your "misinformed" opinions without links on Md and RU on numbers of fans in OUR area. Mich? Fla? really? Doubt VPI has more fans in DC too though i realize their "VPI" popular there. WVU has more fans than VPI anywhere in Md and Jersey/Pennsy area's and probably WV proper? But unlike you I'm no expert.BTW I actually like VT but hopefully all their fan's aren't as arrogant as you?

OK then

Reaction Score
Yes VT is a player in DC just not near a "dominant" player...but im no expert on the DC area..just that VT doesn't seem to have much juice in NY/NJ from what i can tell.Now WVU a different story..they seem to have a Md/NJ/NY presence...surprised i don't see them on that interactive map since DC/Md is 1 of there strongholds for fans and recruiting.

WVU is a hidden treasure that everyone wants to ignore. WVU has a decent presence in VA and even parts of NC

Reaction Score

WVU is a good school. They actually hold true to the spirit of what a Land Grant University is supposed to be. They open the doors to their state's residents and give many the opportunity to attend. What people don't realize is that many of those who are admitted don't receive degrees because it is not a cake walk to get a degree in Morgantown. That to me tells me that WVU is being fair in admitting state residents but also that the school is tougher than everyone gives them credit for. I have yet to meet an idiot with a WVU degree. And yet, VT gave me a degree... what does that tell you?

And the whole "academic" versus "athletic" arguement does feel irrelevant at times. Hell, the ACC flaunts the academic card but allows Louisville and not WVU. Both are ranked similarly by USNWR and yet many ACC fans see WVU as a bad school. BTW, even though I hate Louisville, they aren't a bad school either. I just would have rather seen UConn, Rutgers, WVU and SU join in 2012 to getvthem to 16 and tell ND no unless they intended to join in full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom