Just great, Villanova's QB is this good. | The Boneyard

Just great, Villanova's QB is this good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will be dogs to Nova to start the season and may get as many as 7 at home. That's where we are.

Reaction Score
Good grief, grow a pair. Nova is a tough AA program and he's a good player. But he's one hit from being Casey, redux. Oh, and what will you do when we actually progress next year.?

Reaction Score
Oh, I have a pair, but thanks for the suggestion.

We will need to progress to beat Nova....significantly.

Reaction Score
Villanova had trouble beating Albany - later in season.

For us, FCS is scary that early. Villanova or Towson. Particularly with an experienced QB. A decent influx of FBS talent SHOULD have us the better team. It's on the offense - at least the Oline won't be disastrous.

Reaction Score
Robertson is very good. Will be the best player on that field. Played all year with a cast on his broken left hand. Nova returns a lot of juniors. I'd be shocked if Nova isn't significantly favored.

Reaction Score
I think our defense will be up to the task. Don't know about our offense. That's on Coach Diaco. We will need to score 20-25 or more points to get the job done. Hopefully, it's not an exhibition game.;)

Reaction Score
They are about 80 slots in front of us in the Sagarin ratings. Predictor would have us losing by 16 if we played tomorrow.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if we lost. But I do expect to win these games. I would also much rather play top 25 FCS teams than cupcakes.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In order for UCONN to be taken seriously in football once again, we have to go into games against FCS opponents KNOWING we are going to win. We certainly don't have that feeling now, given the last few seasons. Beating Nova rather convincingly would be a good start. Losing to Nova would set a terrible tone for an eventual 0-1 win season.

Reaction Score
In order for UCONN to be taken seriously in football once again, we have to go into games against FCS opponents KNOWING we are going to win. We certainly don't have that feeling now, given the last few seasons. Beating Nova rather convincingly would be a good start. Losing to Nova would set a terrible tone for an eventual 0-1 win season.

Nova is now ranked higher than 33 FBS teams (including SMU, USF, and UCONN). BTW ND State is one behind ND and in front of USCe. This FCS = high school line of thought is silly.

I know this is an internet message board, so each fact gets extrapolated into sillyville, but you could lose to Villanova, and still win 7 other games.

By your math, Ohio State should have disbanded the program after losing to VT at home.

You can't KNOW you are going to beat a top 25 FCS team unless you are a REALLY GOOD TEAM. You absolutely SHOULD know you are going to beat Stony Brook. Most top 25 FCS teams are filled with FBS transfers or kids that were recruited to some extent by FBS teams.

Reaction Score

I think the B0neyard will become the Graveyard if we lose to Nova.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Nova is now ranked higher than 33 FBS teams (including SMU, USF, and UCONN). BTW ND State is one behind ND and in front of USCe. This FCS = high school line of thought is silly.

I know this is an internet message board, so each fact gets extrapolated into sillyville, but you could lose to Villanova, and still win 7 other games.

By your math, Ohio State should have disbanded the program after losing to VT at home.

You can't KNOW you are going to beat a top 25 FCS team unless you are a REALLY GOOD TEAM. You absolutely SHOULD know you are going to beat Stony Brook. Most top 25 FCS teams are filled with FBS transfers or kids that were recruited to some extent by FBS teams.

I like you Money, but comparing VT to Nova is a bit of a reach, don't you think?

My point is simply that we have no idea, myself included, whether or not we can beat Nova next year...and that sahqs. I miss the years that we KNEW we were going to trounce our FCS opponent 30-0 and the only negative measuring stick used from those games was whether or not we allowed a TD. I understand Nova is a good FCS team but this is a game we absolutely, positively MUST win. If not, we're looking at a very long 2015 campaign.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Plus we would see some BB posters telling us how we are ruining the chance at CR.

You mean we would see MORE of this??? Oh Jebus, we really DO need to beat Nova. I can't fathom the thought of another year of "cut the football program" talk so that we can go back to playing in a different mid-major basketball conference.

Reaction Score
I like you Money, but comparing VT to Nova is a bit of a reach, don't you think?

My point is simply that we have no idea, myself included, whether or not we can beat Nova next year...and that sahqs. I miss the years that we KNEW we were going to trounce our FCS opponent 30-0 and the only negative measuring stick used from those games was whether or not we allowed a TD. I understand Nova is a good FCS team but this is a game we absolutely, positively MUST win. If not, we're looking at a very long 2015 campaign.

We never played a good FCS team when Randy was here. So 52-3 over Texas Southern made us feel great, although we would probably beat Texas Southern by 20 points this year, even though we stink. If you are a middling to lower ranked FBS program you may very likely lose to top 25 FCS programs.

If I had to bet, I would say we lose to Nova next year. I expect to win these sorts of games, but I wouldn't bet on it. It does suck.

You said: losing to Nova means that we could expect a 0-1 win season. If Nova was Texas Southern, I might agree with you. But Nova is not the worst team on our schedule next year. So you aren't reaching?

Reaction Score

I actually think Nova would have a really good shot at VT this year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
We never played a good FCS team when Randy was here. So 52-3 over Texas Southern made us feel great, although we would probably beat Texas Southern by 20 points this year, even though we stink. If you are a middling to lower ranked FBS program you may very likely lose to top 25 FCS programs.

If I had to bet, I would say we lose to Nova next year. I expect to win these sorts of games, but I wouldn't bet on it. It does suck.

You said: losing to Nova means that we could expect a 0-1 win season. If Nova was Texas Southern, I might agree with you. But Nova is not the worst team on our schedule next year. So you aren't reaching?

I agree with your first point: the FCS competition we played under Randy was incredibly weak. Stony Brook was incredibly weak this year yet we barely squeaked by. My point I'm trying to make is that we can't squeak by these types of teams early in the season. Villanova is better than Stony Brook. We all know that. Remember what happened the last time we lost to a "good" FCS team to start the year? The fanbase, the program, the university, the state all went into complete meltdown despite all of the pre-game talk about how "good" Towson was and how much we shouldn't overlook them. We were able to scrap some wins together at the end of the year mostly because we had a D-1 level QB under center for the first time in a long while. We might not have that in 2015 (no offense to Shirreffs or Davis or anyone else we bring in...we just don't know where they're at). So yeah, if we lose to Nova, 0-1 win is definitely on the table. And no, I don't think I'm reaching.

Reaction Score
I agree with your first point: the FCS competition we played under Randy was incredibly weak. Stony Brook was incredibly weak this year yet we barely squeaked by. My point I'm trying to make is that we can't squeak by these types of teams early in the season. Villanova is better than Stony Brook. We all know that. Remember what happened the last time we lost to a "good" FCS team to start the year? The fanbase, the program, the university, the state all went into complete meltdown despite all of the pre-game talk about how "good" Towson was and how much we shouldn't overlook them. We were able to scrap some wins together at the end of the year mostly because we had a D-1 level QB under center for the first time in a long while. We might not have that in 2015 (no offense to Shirreffs or Davis or anyone else we bring in...we just don't know where they're at). So yeah, if we lose to Nova, 0-1 win is definitely on the table. And no, I don't think I'm reaching.

If we played Central Michigan and lost in the opener would you feel the same way? 0-1 win?

Dooley

Reaction Score
If we played Central Michigan and lost in the opener would you feel the same way? 0-1 win?

Yes. If we played Army in the opener and lost, I would feel that way.

I'm a bit emotional after we punted our 2014 season away so perhaps I'm being a bit irrational. I'm fine with punting '14 away as long as we start beating the teams on our schedule that we should beat in 2015. That includes Nova and Army, IMO. I can't stomach another year of losing to Army, SMU, USF, Tulane types and barely hanging on against FCS teams.

I've lost too much good hair over 2014 (although my wife would be quick to point out that I lost that hair over 1999). :)

Reaction Score
Yes. If we played Army in the opener and lost, I would feel that way.

I'm a bit emotional after we punted our 2014 season away so perhaps I'm being a bit irrational. I'm fine with punting '14 away as long as we start beating the teams on our schedule that we should beat in 2015. That includes Nova and Army, IMO. I can't stomach another year of losing to Army, SMU, USF, Tulane types and barely hanging on against FCS teams.

I've lost too much good hair over 2014 (although my wife would be quick to point out that I lost that hair over 1999). :)

Yes, you are being a bit irrational. You do realize that we might be a good team next year, and at the same time whoever is our starting QB will either be brand new OR will have come off of two miserable years. Thinking we should be in mid-season form on day 1 is unrealistic.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yes, you are being a bit irrational. You do realize that we might be a good team next year, and at the same time whoever is our starting QB will either be brand new OR will have come off of two miserable years. Thinking we should be in mid-season form on day 1 is unrealistic.

That's the great part about being a fan, isn't it? We all have varied expectations but we'll keep supporting the school through and through.

Reaction Score
Don't kid yourselves. We almost lost to Stony Brook and then got whacked by a winless SMU team. Its sad that Nova is a real threat with a good chance of beating a team that once beat up on Baylor, South Carolina and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
We should be able to overwhelm these guys on the lines. If we can't, were in for a fifth straight bowless season.

Reaction Score
noeynox said:
We should be able to overwhelm these guys on the lines. If we can't, were in for a fifth straight bowless season.

Why should we? Where is that evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul