June Jones should be let go at SMU... | The Boneyard

June Jones should be let go at SMU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
because what he says is not only damaging SMU but more importantly the AAC rep. I know this is a a day late but the fact that he would go on the air and say those things proves he does not want to prove the "P5" wrong. What a joke. It does illustrate though why the AAC is doomed as a conference unless teams like SMU pony up (no pun intended) and put the resources in. This is where I see the AAC and Mountain West having to split off into a new league if some teams decide it is better to go backwards. Schools have to decide real fast if they are committed or not.

Reaction Score
June is on the last hole of the back nine, does anyone expect him to put up much of a fight in this attempt to eliminate anyone not in the P-5?

Reaction Score
Nobody took him serious. Everyone has a crazy Uncle in the family. You just roll your eyes and smile.:)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since I have no idea what you are talking about, I don't think his comments could have gotten enough traction to hurt anyone....

Edit: Oh the play in spring thing. While it obviously can't happen, if UConn weren't one of the schools it would be a pretty awesome idea.

Reaction Score
His premise was simple. G5 schools could make more money from TV from a spring league season. I don't think he is necessarily wrong, which is not to say I agree with him.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think what he said would be received well in places like Tulsa, Tulane, Southern Miss, etc...places located in the hotbeds of college football that have absolutely no chance of recruiting against their local P5 schools already because of limited resources/budget. Now that the P5 conferences want to arm themselves with even more recruiting ammunition, those schools will even struggle to get the 2-star rated guys down there. Playing in the spring would probably be the only alternative to lure kids away from the behemoth SEC/B12/ACC football schools IF the Tulsas, Tulanes, Southern Miss, SMUs, etc can find good money playing spring football.

Personally, I don't think it's all that outlandish of an idea for some of the G5. Obviously, this wouldn't help UCONN one bit. Spring is usually the time that our hoops programs are prepping for deep tourney runs. If you think football attendance is bad because of high school football conflicts or, God forbid, double-booking a hoops game down in NYC that same day, just wait until football tries to convince UCONN fans that they should skip watching an Elite 8 game at MSG in favor of watching UCONN host Memphis at the Rent. 17K would be a very generous attendance figure. UCONN can decide to adopt the P5 structure itself so that we can continue to go toe-to-toe with our local P5 r1vals. Plus, our local r1vals aren't exactly SEC or the upper echelon of the ACC quality. We can recruit with BC, RU and Syracuse a lot easier than SMU can recruit against Texas or OU.

If you're a school with a small (i.e. less than $30M) AD budget that is located in the middle of a dozen+ college football giants, then playing in the spring might make sense if the money is right. If you're a school with a larger AD budget that can recruit against local competition, then playing in the spring doesn't make as much sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think what he said would be received well in places like Tulsa, Tulane, Southern Miss, etc...places located in the hotbeds of college football that have absolutely no chance of recruiting against their local P5 schools already because of limited resources/budget. Now that the P5 conferences want to arm themselves with even more recruiting ammunition, those schools will even struggle to get the 2-star rated guys down there. Playing in the spring would probably be the only alternative to lure kids away from the behemoth SEC/B12/ACC football schools IF the Tulsas, Tulanes, Southern Miss, SMUs, etc can find good money playing spring football.

Personally, I don't think it's all that outlandish of an idea for some of the G5. Obviously, this wouldn't help UCONN one bit. Spring is usually the time that our hoops programs are prepping for deep tourney runs. If you think football attendance is bad because of high school football conflicts or, God forbid, double-booking a hoops game down in NYC that same day, just wait until football tries to convince UCONN fans that they should skip watching an Elite 8 game at MSG in favor of watching UCONN host Memphis at the Rent. 17K would be a very generous attendance figure. UCONN can decide to adopt the P5 structure itself so that we can continue to go toe-to-toe with our local P5 r1vals. Plus, our local r1vals aren't exactly SEC or the upper echelon of the ACC quality. We can recruit with BC, RU and Syracuse a lot easier than SMU can recruit against Texas or OU.

If you're a school with a small (i.e. less than $30M) AD budget that is located in the middle of a dozen+ college football giants, then playing in the spring might make sense if the money is right. If you're a school with a larger AD budget that can recruit against local competition, then playing in the spring doesn't make as much sense.

It isn't workable and won't happen. It does however answer one question: How can the G5 get more money.

The academic calendar would be a nightmare. The NFL draft causes issues.

Even things like working around the weather make it impossible. The MAC can't practice before March and you'd have places like Las Vegas and Dallas hosting games and practices when it's 110 degrees.

The amount of attention and television money would be exponentially increased though. So at least it has one positive.

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if Warde doesn't come out with a statement saying UConn will do whatever the P5 requires.

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if Warde doesn't come out with a statement saying UConn will do whatever the P5 requires.

I think it depends how far the P5 goes. Remember that due to Title IX, whatever happens on the men's side has to happen on the women's side too. So if football players receive new benefits, the women's tennis team will receive the same benefits.

That adds up over time, depending on how much more $$$ the new P5 benefits will cost. If it's all within UConn's current budget, then I do agree with you that UConn will probably do whatever the P5 does.

Reaction Score
I think it depends how far the P5 goes. Remember that due to Title IX, whatever happens on the men's side has to happen on the women's side too. So if football players receive new benefits, the women's tennis team will receive the same benefits.

That adds up over time, depending on how much more $ the new P5 benefits will cost. If it's all within UConn's current budget, then I do agree with you that UConn will probably do whatever the P5 does.
I have faith in UConn ponying up. Not so much with a lot of our conference brethren. It's been discussed before but I see UConn teaming up with "G5" schools willing to do what it takes.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It isn't workable and won't happen. It does however answer one question: How can the G5 get more money.

The academic calendar would be a nightmare. The NFL draft causes issues.

Even things like working around the weather make it impossible. The MAC can't practice before March and you'd have places like Las Vegas and Dallas hosting games and practices when it's 110 degrees.

The amount of attention and television money would be exponentially increased though. So at least it has one positive.

Oh I agree with you, this could never work. I'm just saying the idea probably makes some sense to some schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh I agree with you, this could never work. I'm just saying the idea probably makes some sense to some schools.

If you could divorce college football from the academic calendar it would make a ton of sense financially to almost every G5 school.

Even as someone who pretty much considers the actual universities as different entities from the athletic dept - the idea of playing 2/3rds of season with no students on campus is pretty tough to get your head around.

Reaction Score

I have seen a number of posters made statements like this one. Someone with better information please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is just UConn's decision as long as we are in the AAC. As I understand it what has been proposed would allow conferences to adopt new rules not individual schools. If this is correct we would have to convince a lot of AAC schools that may not have the resources. I know that the AAC comish has made statements about doing whatever the P5 does, but, does anyone here know if he is actually speaking for a majority of the individual schools?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's idiotic and it doesn't make a blessed bit of sense for anyone - not UConn, not Tulane, not UMass, not even Marist or Georgetown.

I don't think June Jones should lose his job over it, but he should be whapped with a whiffle ball bat about ten times by his athletic director.

Dooley

Reaction Score

That adds up over time, depending on how much more $ the new P5 benefits will cost. If it's all within UConn's current budget, then I do agree with you that UConn will probably do whatever the P5 does.

No need to educate UCONN fans on Title IX. Remember, we pay our WBB coach over $2M/yr. That's more than some P5 schools pay their football coaches (including us).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have seen a number of posters made statements like this one. Someone with better information please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is just UConn's decision as long as we are in the AAC. As I understand it what has been proposed would allow conferences to adopt new rules not individual schools. If this is correct we would have to convince a lot of AAC schools that may not have the resources. I know that the AAC comish has made statements about doing whatever the P5 does, but, does anyone here know if he is actually speaking for a majority of the individual schools?

He is speaking for a majority of the schools.

Reaction Score
He is speaking for a majority of the schools.

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case but one never knows. It will be interesting to see which of our conference brethren get cold feet when the time comes.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN
Non-Power 5 commissioners told me “no chance” of playing in spring as June Jones suggests http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11239033/non-power-5-commissioners-no-chance-moving-spring…

Reaction Score
Non-Power 5 commissioners told me “no chance” of playing in spring as June Jones suggests http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11239033/non-power-5-commissioners-no-chance-moving-spring…

Funny that some press people think because JJ threw out an idea that it somehow was going to happen and needed to "confirm" with all those above his paygrade that it wasn't. Who exactly is it that believes JJ calls the shots for not only the conference but all of the have not's, oh yeah ESPN, nevermind! Amazing the press even silly ideas get.

Reaction Score

If I were his boss, I'd fire him for making me have to answer stupid questions from the media.

Reaction Score
They need to make a living. Look at what we have to deal with in Desmond Connor. What's good?

(Who the bleep gave him the job??)

Reaction Score
Yeah I had a post addressing this. It isn't far fetched for the UConns and BYUs and UCFs and Cincys and Boise STs and a few others of the world to form a "super G5" conference that would adopt P5 rules. Throw in the service academies and we're golden. (Plus San Diego St and probably a few others whatever them they'll pay) Is the P5 so arrogant they'll send away the Navy, Army, and Air Force with perennial hoops power UConn with a slew of their misfit friends and Jesus's second favorite team? If that is the case they are all as horrible as we thought and I'm glad we took 4 of their precious hoop titles. We'll continue to win championships while they continue to jerk other off comparing the size of their "endowment" ;) and how many cable subscribers they bring.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is the P5 so arrogant they'll send away the Navy, Army, and Air Force with perennial hoops power UConn with a slew of their misfit friends and Jesus's second favorite team?

They already have, so yeah, I guess they are.

The service academies are an interesting case in all this...I can't see them paying stipends, etc., etc.

Reaction Score

The service academies are an interesting case in all this...I can't see them paying stipends, etc., etc.
. Good point. Soooo on to my second point. Screw them we'll just keep winning titles at whatever level we're at.

Reaction Score

They are already paying. All cadets, whether athletes or not, receive a full scholarship plus a monthly stipend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom