Jones lacking burst and athleticsm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jones lacking burst and athleticsm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well the quotes by the scouts said he had size and instincts. If jumping over 12 feet and 44 inches isn't burst then what is ?

You are aware there is a difference between what scouts refer to as "burst" and what Jones did yesterday in spandex, right? Maybe not. So let me spell this out for you guys.

SD came to the conclusion that the scouts were wrong about Byron Jones and used his broad and vertical jump measurements as evidence. Context matters. Where were those quotes from his OP taken from? What was the context? I was asking legitimately before he went douchemode. Highly unlikely that the scouts he quoted (wherever that was taken from) ever saw Jones perform those jumps without pads on. All they saw was his play on the football field. There are countless "Combine Warriors" who never pan out in the league. I hope Jones isn't one of them. The scouts may or may not be right in this case. They've missed on plenty of players. Only time will tell.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You are aware there is a difference between what scouts refer to as "burst" and what Jones did yesterday in spandex, right? Maybe not. So let me spell this out for you guys.

SD came to the conclusion that the scouts were wrong about Byron Jones and used his broad and vertical jump measurements as evidence. Context matters. Where were those quotes from his OP taken from? What was the context? I was asking legitimately before he went douchemode. Highly unlikely that the scouts he quoted (wherever that was taken from) ever saw Jones perform those jumps without pads on. All they saw was his play on the football field. There are countless "Combine Warriors" who never pan out in the league. I hope Jones isn't one of them. The scouts may or may not be right in this case. They've missed on plenty of players. Only time will tell.

Don't forget lacking athletism.

So... you are going all in on Jones lacking "burst and athleticism"?

Nice move.

Reaction Score
Don't forget lacking athletism.

So... you are going all in on Jones lacking "burst and athleticism"?

Nice move.

So instead of discussing my points, you'd rather just make up a false position that I have and then take a victory lap.

Are you and Nelson the same poster?

Reaction Score
I think Byron will be successful in the league and in life. It's nice that we've taken a really good moment for a program in dire need of one and turned it in to a pissing contest. For the record, the picture below is not a move you see alot on NFL fields and might lend to the burst conversation.

nfl_a_jones01jr_C_300x200.jpg

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Are you and Nelson the same poster?

Nelson is famous for saying that Stanley Robinson didn't have BE calibre talent.

You are famous for saying that Byron Jones doesn't have "burst and athleticism"

Completely different.

Reaction Score
I can't believe we have to question whether or not a world record standing long jump and a Michael Jordan/David Thompson caliber vertical leap qualify for
burst and athleticism. And to blame it on spandex?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
No one has stated that Jones does not have burst and athleticism, other than the quote in the original post. All that has been said is that the scout based his opinion on what he saw on a football field when Jones was in full pads and not at a combine in spandex.

To assert that the argument here is about whether or not Jones is athletic as opposed to why it is possible a scout can be wrong or right is absurd and detracts from your own position.

On a side note, it is entirely possible to be able to jump 12 feet from a stand still and not be able to translate that into the necessary burst to keep up with NFL receivers and running backs.

(Edit: the response of "What is 'this'?" was vague, and baited this entire argument. However, it was clarified a couple of responses later and still people are harping on it)

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Head Coach a Diaco called it at the beginning of the seasn:

"I think he (byron jones) will be one of the best players in the country," Huskies coach Bob Diaco said last summer. "Everyone will see it eventually when they put him in those compression shorts [at combines]. You will see a tall, long, lean and fast and explosive and athletic player. His numbers, with our developmental process, you are going to see at the end of the day one of the best tangibly gifted cornerback players in the country."
He is the best broad jumper...one of the best players in the country - no.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
He is the best broad jumper...one of the best players in the country - no.
I've always thought it was difficult to objectively measure how good a corner is when he isn't playing the same competition as everyone else. The combine has shown that Jones was probably one of the best tangibly gifted cornerbacks in the country though, which is all Diaco said.

Reaction Score
I've always thought it was difficult to objectively measure how good a corner is when he isn't playing the same competition as everyone else. The combine has shown that Jones was probably one of the best tangibly gifted cornerbacks in the country though, which is all Diaco said.

Stop with the inferior competition please. Jones would have been even better if the guys up front got to the quarterback more often. I maintain that if BJ was on a team like Alabama, Oregon or Ohio State he would have excelled even more.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The combine has shown that Jones was probably one of the best tangibly gifted cornerbacks in the country though, which is all Diaco said.

Thats not what Diaco said - that is what you said...

"I think he (byron jones) will be one of the best players in the country," Huskies coach Bob Diaco said last summer.

Reaction Score
I think Byron will be successful in the league and in life. It's nice that we've taken a really good moment for a program in dire need of one and turned it in to a pissing contest. For the record, the picture below is not a move you see alot on NFL fields and might lend to the burst conversation.

nfl_a_jones01jr_C_300x200.jpg

Maybe not ... but this move sure is! :)

523e688939ecf.image.jpg

Reaction Score
I can't believe we have to question whether or not a world record standing long jump and a Michael Jordan/David Thompson caliber vertical leap qualify for
burst and athleticism. And to blame it on spandex?

I can't believe you don't get the distinction.

Reaction Score
Nelson is famous for saying that Stanley Robinson didn't have BE calibre talent.

You are famous for saying that Byron Jones doesn't have "burst and athleticism"

Completely different.

You're embarrassing yourself now.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
FWIW, it was a legit question. There is a difference between football burst and a broad jump performed in spandex. So I don't know if the scouts were necessarily wrong about their assessment yet. Renaldo Nehimiah was a world class sprinter but a lousy WR.

You just went straight to mode because that's what comes natural to you.

He showed he was a good player for the past three in a half years before he went down with an injury. Many had him rated fairly high pre 2014 season and I think this just tells them that his athletic ability is better than they thought.

He will play press corner or safety in the league

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jones played really well in 2014. An easy choice as MVP before he got hurt.

The season spiraled out of control once he was out except for the day Adams had against UCF.

The Memphis game alone showed how much they missed him.

Pre-injury he was a high pick even before the combine.

Reaction Score
I still believe strongly it's not the negativity that keeps people away. It's the amount of posters who either intentionally, or ignorantly, misrepresent what someone else wrote, and then chide them for it.

A guy says that the athleticism shown in the combine may not translate to the field (and points out an example of where that has happened before) and is then mocked for saying the player isn't athletic.

Why would anyone want to join this band of misfits where they will routinely be ridiculed for things they didn't say if it so happens that a few people don't like him/her?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I still believe strongly it's not the negativity that keeps people away. It's the amount of posters who either intentionally, or ignorantly, misrepresent what someone else wrote, and then chide them for it.

A guy says that the athleticism shown in the combine may not translate to the field (and points out an example of where that has happened before) and is then mocked for saying the player isn't athletic.

Why would anyone want to join this band of misfits where they will routinely be ridiculed for things they didn't say if it so happens that a few people don't like him/her?

5-7, 5-7, 3-9, 2-10 seems to keep people out of the stadium. Not sure why this would be any different.

Reaction Score
5-7, 5-7, 3-9, 2-10 seems to keep people out of the stadium. Not sure why this would be any different.
Yeah, you're right. I'm just saying, that behavior can't help.

Reaction Score
FWIW, it was a legit question. There is a difference between football burst and a broad jump performed in spandex. So I don't know if the scouts were necessarily wrong about their assessment yet. Renaldo Nehimiah was a world class sprinter but a lousy WR.

You just went straight to mode because that's what comes natural to you.

He had Roberto Duran's "Manos de Piedr."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99