John A.: For UConn, perceptions often are misperceptions | The Boneyard

John A.: For UConn, perceptions often are misperceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“What happens when you play at Connecticut is that when you don’t win by 30, it must be because you [stink] at so many different things that you shouldn’t even think about [participating] in post season play. You hold a team [Baylor] that’s averaging 90 points to just 55 and it’s still, ‘Well, Connecticut [stunk].’

LINK

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I read and a cold spreading chill crept down my back at the prospect of eventual, inevitable decline from the pinnacle. A good reminder to savor each bit of this season.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I had some mixed feelings reading this. On the one hand, I have been a proponent of savoring this year. A decade from now, we will be talking about this year and this period. I hope it will be in the context of "can you believe we are still ding so well?" rather than "remember when we were good?" but whichever, we will ne reminicing about the year with fond memories.

On the other hand, while of course we should be impressed that we beat a qulity team like Baylor by double-digits, it can get tiresome and repetitive to explain "we won again yippee"

I also get that Geno wants us to revel in the accomplishment and not simply nitpick the areas needing improvement, but I guarantee he is doing that. It may be fair to n9te that Geno working on shortcomings will actually turn into improvements, while Boneyarders pointing out shortcomings accomplishes little. I also get that there is a difference between an insider pointing out shortcomings, bbetter accepted than complaints from outsiders, but the very nature of the UConn program is to make us feel like family, to make us feel like it is "our team" so it hurts a bit to be reminded that we are not insiders. Even if true.

Reaction Score
I had some mixed feelings reading this. On the one hand, I have been a proponent of savoring this year. A decade from now, we will be talking about this year and this period. I hope it will be in the context of "can you believe we are still ding so well?" rather than "remember when we were good?" but whichever, we will ne reminicing about the year with fond memories.

On the other hand, while of course we should be impressed that we beat a qulity team like Baylor by double-digits, it can get tiresome and repetitive to explain "we won again yippee"

I also get that Geno wants us to revel in the accomplishment and not simply nitpick the areas needing improvement, but I guarantee he is doing that. It may be fair to n9te that Geno working on shortcomings will actually turn into improvements, while Boneyarders pointing out shortcomings accomplishes little. I also get that there is a difference between an insider pointing out shortcomings, bbetter accepted than complaints from outsiders, but the very nature of the UConn program is to make us feel like family, to make us feel like it is "our team" so it hurts a bit to be reminded that we are not insiders. Even if true.

Yes, I'm sure Geno goes over all of the mistakes made after each game. The problem is on this board the rempant specul;ation , the negative posts which just because the poster adds IMO it's o.k., speaking of a players weight, saying this one is better than that one on our team etc. etc. Instead of we stunk it up against Baylor how about a quality win inspite of an off shooting night. I also think Geno at times reads the Yard or is told about it and gets as agrivated as I and many of this board do. I'm off the soap box , sorry

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I am fairly Geno never reads the board. However, I suspect someone occasionally shares seomthing with him. However, if there are a couple hundred posts saying great game, thye probably wouldn't bother telling him. But if there's one post with an extreme negative comment, someone might say "you won't believe what some fan said about such and such a game" that might get shared.

Reaction Score
don't understand the problem. many here at the boneyard are just interested in the same thing that geno's interested in: perfection.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I don't remember anyone saying that the Huskies "stunk" in the Baylor game. It was observed correctly that they did not shoot as well as usual, but that was generally accompanied by an observation that they did play very good defense, which enabled them to win anyway.

Reaction Score

The key word here is family, our family. the girls who play the game. As our "daughters" we want them to be perfect. Unfortunately, as humans they can't be perfect; a fact that we all forget sometimes.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well Phil, someday both we and Geno will maybe be able to forgive you for that comment about not feeling "yippee!" after all UConn games, but clearly the remark got back to Geno and now he will swear off any thoughts about coming back to the BY. I would suggest you unloose your inner yippee! so you can fully appreciate the greatness you are living through.

John A had me (rolling in the aisles) at the "top recruits heading to Providence" 20 years from now allusion. Nice thoughts. Perfection is boring and unattainable. Even if we sometimes label a season with no losses as being perfect, we also recognize that a 9 point win over Virginia Tech or tough half against Stanford bluntly show essence of imperfection and that it will be discussed at length by some fans saying that the NC game ruined WCBB for ever. Yes it is a time to treasure, but the nice thing to know is that when Geno does finally hang it all up, some of the top coaches in the nation will be angling for the job, and many of them will be his girls.

Reaction Score
Loved the idea of "the good old, Geno days". It's true that all this will eventually end so make sure to enjoy every single game, even the boring blow outs.

Reaction Score
WE are living in a fairy tale world here at UCONN...........No WCBB team wins like UCONN does nor for a long time...........

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I read and a cold spreading chill crept down my back at the prospect of eventual, inevitable decline from the pinnacle. A good reminder to savor each bit of this season.
Amen...particularly if the NCAA decides that the power 5 conferences (e.g. Duke, Tennessee, ND, Baylor etc.) are allowed to pay players $5000 per year and UConn is not, it will become extremely difficult to recruit top players.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

By then many of us will have fallen off the pinnacle first.:(

Reaction Score
Me too, but he lost me at Providence. They are never going to do anything again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom