Jim Calhoun, on realignment... | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun, on realignment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
“The landscape has kind of, I don’t think it’s treated us unfairly, but somehow or another, we didn’t catch the [proverbial] last train to Tucson,” Calhoun said. “And so we aren’t necessarily, well, I can’t say we’re not where we want to be, because in 2011 we won a national championship and in 2014 we won a national championship, and so therefore, I have concerns like everybody here and everybody anyplace. And that’s why I say, the only thing we can control is us. ”

It's Calhoun, so it needs to be parsed, but basically, he thinks it sucks that we're in the American. If you think there's a secret plan out there in place to move us elsewhere, there's not.

Adjustment Continues for Jim Calhoun

Reaction Score
I think the Non Disclosure specifically excluded (included?) Calhoun. ;)

Recruits ask questions.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Chuck Culpepper covers national college sports for the Washington Post.

I think this article provides a glimpse of where the national press holds the H-uskeez (led by Miles Griffey).

What the duckk is "U-Conn."? The abbreviation for the The University of Connecticut is "UConn" or "UCONN". There is no hyphen or period. May not be a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but it literally made the article hard to read for me (and as a Redskins fan, I read washingtonpost.com quite often).

Reaction Score
Chuck Culpepper covers national college sports for the Washington Post.

I think this article provides a glimpse of where the national press holds the H-uskeez (led by Miles Griffey).

What the duckk is "U-Conn."? The abbreviation for the The University of Connecticut is "UConn" or "UCONN". There is no hyphen or period. May not be a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but it literally made the article hard to read for me (and as a Redskins fan, I read washingtonpost.com quite often).
I didn't take the effort to learn about Chuck but he must not be very bright. UCONN is known very well in those parts and I have never seen it written with a hyphen.
Yeah, JC is basically saying we are not where we want to be and it's bullchit because despite being effed over, we still went out and won 2 more banners. And we didn't have to cheat for a decade like others we know.

Reaction Score
PFFFT There is a code buried in the article. Take the letters that start consecutive sentences. it spells, "We're going B1G, baby"

Take the last two word of every sentence....and you get:

"Calhoun said everybody anyplace is us"

Reaction Score
The article states that Karl Hobbs played for Calhoun at U-Conn. One can only imagine what Jim would have done with Karl, Corny, and crew.

To translate Calhoun-ese: "Cleahly we're duck*ed!" in the AAC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What the duckk is "U-Conn."? The abbreviation for the The University of Connecticut is "UConn" or "UCONN". There is no hyphen or period.

That's specific to the Washington Post - not the author's fault.

I think it was in the Stylebook a decade ago and they locked onto it and never let go. (And yet UMass is allowed to be UMass...)

Scout used to have the same problem and no matter how often I asked, we were never allowed to syndicate an article unless it had "U-Conn." in it.

Reaction Score
As an aside, growing up, it was UCONN. Then in the early days of the Big East we started to say Connecticut, which seemed strange. I thought Connecticut was much better and more in line with the other state flagships. I was a little disappointed they went back to officially using UCONN but so be it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's specific to the Washington Post - not the author's fault.

I think it was in the Stylebook a decade ago and they locked onto it and never let go. (And yet UMass is allowed to be UMass...)

Scout used to have the same problem and no matter how often I asked, we were never allowed to syndicate an article unless it had "U-Conn." in it.
I was thinking about posting a comment on the W-Post (Yes I have an account, seemingly from the beginning of the Internet. As I said, I am a W-ton. R-Skins. fan from years back), but it appears that someone beat me to it. In my 20 year association with the University (4 as a student, 16 as an alum/donor), I've never ever seen "U-Conn."

Times change. It's sloppy journalism from the Paper of Record in Greater D.C. And the traditionals wonder why circulation goes down as people turn to blogs and message boards for their news. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
“The landscape has kind of, I don’t think it’s treated us unfairly, but somehow or another, we didn’t catch the [proverbial] last train to Tucson,” Calhoun said. “And so we aren’t necessarily, well, I can’t say we’re not where we want to be, because in 2011 we won a national championship and in 2014 we won a national championship, and so therefore, I have concerns like everybody here and everybody anyplace. And that’s why I say, the only thing we can control is us. ”

It's Calhoun, so it needs to be parsed, but basically, he thinks it sucks that we're in the American. If you think there's a secret plan out there in place to move us elsewhere, there's not.

Adjustment Continues for Jim Calhoun
pretty sure if Calhoun had knowledge he isn't going to speak about it. and what he's actually saying is 'win'... continue to win and everything else will take care of itself.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was thinking about posting a comment on the W-Post (Yes I have an account, seemingly from the beginning of the Internet. As I said, I am a W-ton. R-Skins. fan from years back), but it appears that someone beat me to it. In my 20 year association with the University (4 as a student, 16 as an alum/donor), I've never ever seen "U-Conn."

Times change. It's sloppy journalism from the Paper of Record in Greater D.C. And the traditionals wonder why circulation goes down as people turn to blogs and message boards for their news. :rolleyes:

You missed a good amount of U-Conn. It used to be everywhere because it was in the AP styleguide.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You missed a good amount of U-Conn. It used to be everywhere because it was in the AP styleguide.
As I said, times change.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As I said, times change.

It wasn't that long ago.

I actually didn't post this article this morning because I figured people
would harp on the topic.

Reaction Score
You think UCONN wants JC to drop any CR bomb?

Better chance a UCONN CR announcement coincides with JC playing golf in Scotland .

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Don't let that quote fool you. We don't have a super secret invite, but more movement is coming. Jimmy C is just setting low expectations and then when we least expect it we go out and win conference realignment.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We aren't on the last train to Tucson because we are on the first train to Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom