Jewell Loyd against Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd against Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno will continue to game plan & frustrate Loyd, as he did with Shoni throughout her career. The one player we couldn't contain was Angel, but he instead devised game plans to limit her teammates, while slowing her down a bit.
who is Angel?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
you know- I just don't see cable as ever becoming a really good player, and other than her great shooting when wide open, even though she hit a nice shot in NC under a little pressure, I see Mabrey as another avg player, with little athleticism, and hurting them big time on defense. I worry alot more about youngn's like Reimer, Turner, Westbeld--- those two just don't scare me ever. Maybe I'm missing something -
Natalie A was thought of the same way early in her career... but that changed down the stretch

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Natalie A was thought of the same way early in her career... but that changed down the stretch
Daddy Choc- for what it's worth, I saw Achonwa's athleticism and potential as a freshman, and McBride as a freshman would attack us and nail mid range jumpers8-10 pts a game if I remember correctly. No fear ever. Achonwa had the body, the tools and desire!
Cable I don't see her being really good at anything in particular, and Maybrey is lights out when open- but she looks really soft in the rest of her game. I could be wrong!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Daddy Choc- for what it's worth, I saw Achonwa's athleticism and potential as a freshman, and McBride as a freshman would attack us and nail mid range jumpers8-10 pts a game if I remember correctly. No fear ever. Achonwa had the body, the tools and desire!
Cable I don't see her being really good at anything in particular, and Maybrey is lights out when open- but she looks really soft in the rest of her game. I could be wrong!
maybe they'll work on it during the off season... who knows. players in good programs improve, just as we expect Banks, Chong and Stokes (she has all the tools as well) to get better

thanks for the response

Reaction Score
you know- I just don't see cable as ever becoming a really good player, and other than her great shooting when wide open, even though she hit a nice shot in NC under a little pressure, I see Mabrey as another avg player, with little athleticism, and hurting them big time on defense. I worry alot more about youngn's like Reimer, Turner, Westbeld--- those two just don't scare me ever. Maybe I'm missing something -

What they'll have is Lloyd and Allen as good penetrators able to get them open looks and as Reimer and Turner mature 2 years from now, I think they can knock down shots. I thought one of them smoked us a bit not this past year but 2 years ago in 1 game? They'll be upperclassmen in 2 years or will one graduate? One game is it all it takes to not be unnerved.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Mabrey and Cable both have two years eligibility remaining. Cable is a junior, but she took a medical redshirt her freshman year.

I think the game you are thinking of was January 2013 at UConn. Mabrey scored 11 off the bench. Probably the highlight of her freshman year before she faded out of the rotation.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Didn't she play for Louisville?
Bingo...Angel McCoughtry. Louisville's all-time everything leader, #1 pick in the 2009 WNBA, 2009 WNBA ROY, WNBA All-Star, WNBA scoring champ, USA BBall olympic gold medalist, etc., etc., and somehow I think DC knows all that. ;)

Reaction Score
In the national championship game, she seemed to be pressing. She was not playing in a rhythm like she usually does. Obviously, the defense affected her but she still made some uncharacteristically poor shot decisions.

I think that will improve with experience. However, she is now clearly the star player of team. So she may command more defensive attention than before.

I don't think there is any pressure on her yet, beyond what is self-imposed. She wasn't expected to be the star in the last two UConn games. If she has another rough game this year, then I think there might be some pressure on her.

ND was out of snyc in that NC game. They were lucky the ball kept bouncing their way (rebounds) against MD.

Loyd was playing like a monster in the game before Achonwa got hurt. It's like how Dolson made Stewart so good.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ND not having Achonwa hurt Loyd when playing UConn. They lost one of their key offensive weapons and that put more pressure on both McBride and Loyd. Having Achonwa available would have taken pressure off McBride and Loyd and they wouldn't have had to take as many forced shots. Not saying ND would have won if Achonwa had played, but the game would have been more interesting.

Loyd is an All American caliber player, but to become a Super Star, she needs to take and make more three point shots. In 37 games, she only attempted 88 three's and made 35 which is approx 40%. She was 2-4 in the Championship game.

Reaction Score
One thing that struck me about her is how slight of a frame she has. Maybe she needs to hit the weight room and add some muscle as well as a few pounds for her to play better inside.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I found the Uconn strategy against Loyd very interesting as they were changing things up a lot and for quite a few minutes Stewart was defending her. Stewart could play five feet off to neutralize the speed but with her length still threaten any shot attempt, including if Loyd got past her on a drive.
I had also expected the standard defense to be Hartley on McBride, Moriah on Loyd and I suspect Muffet expected that as well as it was size on size speed on speed. Uconn switched that up and Moriah harassed McBride with speed and ball denial, and Bria's length negated some of Loyd's athleticism.

Reaction Score
Doomed, I say. Then again, who knows what other facets of Jewell's game might gleam in the face of by our smothering defense?

Reaction Score
The 2012-2013 season when ND won the first 3 then lost by 18 in the FF semi's UCONN lost those 3 because they believed a ND media/referees blitz! THE DIVA (SD) the greatest ever, they don't foul but draw fouls on ALL their opponents, never say die attitude, etc. When they forgot about the "Legend" and played the team they kicked their butts! This year they did the same, this time by 21! UCONN won't lose to ND again as long as they play UCONN style BB! Muffett comments/ND's attitude and behavior at Stewie's POY award really pi..ed off the coaching staff and players and they were going to kick the Irish all over the court in the Finals! ND's whining about the lack of respect, you earn respect, you don't demand respect! ND deserves nothing but scorn from UCONN!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
maybe they'll work on it during the off season... who knows. players in good programs improve, just as we expect Banks, Chong and Stokes (she has all the tools as well) to get better

thanks for the response
that is definitely true- and I have to hand it to Muffet and N Dame, because they have been doing that very well. Time will tell.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Lloyd has incredible talent and athleticism. However, having Dolson and Stewart in the paint to prevent her from getting to the basket is a huge advantage for UCONN. I don't know that UCONN fans will realize how fortunate you were to have Dolson on the court until you play without her next season. I would not be surprised if Stokes has foul trouble issues early in the year until she adapts to starting and not being an auxiliary player. I am really looking forward to seeing how Stokes plays against a group of bigs like USC has.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lloyd will always be a threat. She's athletic, quick with great range. Accordingly, she'll always have a hand her face and help defenders if she tries to go to the hoop. She'll get her points, but probably not efficiently and there are only so many possessions in a game.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Lloyd has incredible talent and athleticism. However, having Dolson and Stewart in the paint to prevent her from getting to the basket is a huge advantage for UCONN. I don't know that UCONN fans will realize how fortunate you were to have Dolson on the court until you play without her next season. I would not be surprised if Stokes has foul trouble issues early in the year until she adapts to starting and not being an auxiliary player. I am really looking forward to seeing how Stokes plays against a group of bigs like USC has.
Not sure about Stokes comment- but you are 1000% correct about losing the 6'5" Dolson of last season and this past season. It changes things drastically on both ends of the floor- it can't be understated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom