Jewell Loyd against Uconn | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd against Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So, far a positive trend for the Huskies:

in the 2013 national semis, Lloyd was 5-17 for 11, 6, and 1.

In the 2014 championship, Lloyd 4-15 for 13, 6, and 1.

In short, over two games, she's shooting 28.1%, averaging 12 points, six boards, and an assist.

Of course, she's only been an underclasswoman, and I expect her only to improve into her junior season. However, some pressure has to be on her to figure it out, not unlike how Skylar Diggins performed in the 2011 national semis...or Stewie in the 2013 equivalent.

Can she have a breakout game against UConn next season, or will Geno have a great gameplan and set of personnel for her? What do you think?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Defense by committee. She will be lucky to improve her averages.

Reaction Score
So, far a positive trend for the Huskies:

in the 2013 national semis, Lloyd was 5-17 for 11, 6, and 1.

In the 2014 championship, Lloyd 4-15 for 13, 6, and 1.

In short, over two games, she's shooting 28.1%, averaging 12 points, six boards, and an assist.

Of course, she's only been an underclasswoman, and I expect her only to improve into her junior season. However, some pressure has to be on her to figure it out, not unlike how Skylar Diggins performed in the 2011 national semis...or Stewie in the 2013 equivalent.

Can she have a breakout game against UConn next season, or will Geno have a great gameplan and set of personnel for her? What do you think?

Of course she can. Not sure when - but she's a great player. If she has adequate help - may not be next year- she can explode. In the NBA - one seeds can be vastly superior to 8 seeds yet when they play 4 times - it's hard to sweep. She may very well have 4 more tries vs. UCONN. Not saying she will- but at the very least I expect their team to be extremely strong two years from now.

Reaction Score
Of course she can. Not sure when - but she's a great player. If she has adequate help - may not be next year- she can explode. In the NBA - one seeds can be vastly superior to 8 seeds yet when they play 4 times - it's hard to sweep. She may very well have 4 more tries vs. UCONN. Not saying she will- but at the very least I expect their team to be extremely strong two years from now.
Geno has always preached defense and obviously it's worked over the years. What he normally tries to do is take out the most significant weapon and that seems to be Lloyd, as of late. With her supporting cast not doing that much in the two games mentioned, it allowed UConn to really focus on her and contributed to the numbers you offered. Until such time as ND has other significant offensive weapons, she will likely not be nearly as productive as she ordinarily would be expected to be.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-Superb player vs UConn team defense? As you know, her problems are not unique.

-Even a flawless jewel will drastically shrink in value, when placed in an unflattering setting.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think next year might be a little tougher for her, because defenses can key on her without the other threat of McBride. She's very, very good but I think MoJeff can handle her.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Geno will continue to game plan & frustrate Loyd, as he did with Shoni throughout her career. The one player we couldn't contain was Angel, but he instead devised game plans to limit her teammates, while slowing her down a bit.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

-Even a flawless jewel will drastically shrink in value, when placed in an unflattering setting.

I still remember Candace Wiggins torching UCONN in the FF a number of years ago. Diggins got her points too. Only thing that matters is W's anyway.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

That's pretty arty, Arty!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In the national championship game, she seemed to be pressing. She was not playing in a rhythm like she usually does. Obviously, the defense affected her but she still made some uncharacteristically poor shot decisions.

I think that will improve with experience. However, she is now clearly the star player of team. So she may command more defensive attention than before.

I don't think there is any pressure on her yet, beyond what is self-imposed. She wasn't expected to be the star in the last two UConn games. If she has another rough game this year, then I think there might be some pressure on her.

Reaction Score
Geno has always preached defense and obviously it's worked over the years. What he normally tries to do is take out the most significant weapon and that seems to be Lloyd, as of late. With her supporting cast not doing that much in the two games mentioned, it allowed UConn to really focus on her and contributed to the numbers you offered. Until such time as ND has other significant offensive weapons, she will likely not be nearly as productive as she ordinarily would be expected to be.

I don;t agree. McBride was the better player. I heard after this game our strategy was to let the best player- McBride get hers - but shutdown Lloyd. Thus - next year or year after we look to shutdown their 2nd best player like we did this year.

Reaction Score
I think next year might be a little tougher for her, because defenses can key on her without the other threat of McBride. She's very, very good but I think MoJeff can handle her.

It's the following year I wonder a lot about. Their pg Allen who is very good will be a Jr. Mabrey and Cable will be very good players. They'll have Reimer as an upper-classmen jr. ANd they'll ahve super-soph Turner. Not to metnion what else they pick up. There is a good bet that year we'll face them twice. There is also a good bet Jewel Lloyd is going to get a lot better over the next two years. IMO too much to expect that in one game with fine support that she won't have play extremely well.

Reaction Score
In the national championship game, she seemed to be pressing. She was not playing in a rhythm like she usually does. Obviously, the defense affected her but she still made some uncharacteristically poor shot decisions.

I think that will improve with experience. However, she is now clearly the star player of team. So she may command more defensive attention than before.

I don't think there is any pressure on her yet, beyond what is self-imposed. She wasn't expected to be the star in the last two UConn games. If she has another rough game this year, then I think there might be some pressure on her.

But in her sr year she'l have an extremely strong supporting cast. During her career she may very well have faced UCONN 11 times. I wouldn't count on her being unnerved everytime.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

With Achonwa out Loyd was expected to be a star, if not the star. Loyd had been terrific throughout the regular and post-season and her struggles were certainly a big reason why UConn was able to control play against ND. Fair or not, stars need to play like stars in the biggest moments on the biggest stage.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Loyd had been terrific throughout the regular and post-season and her struggles were certainly a big reason why UConn was able to control play against ND.

This is true. I also think that Achonwa's absence contributed to why she struggled. She tried to do much and in the process ended up doing less than she's capable of. McBride often had the same problem. Like McBride, Loyd seems to play best when she is relaxed and having fun.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Loyd is a huge talent
but almost every offensive player can be harried into bad decisions and difficult shots.
And the Husky's sure have the knack of doing that.
Don't write her off just yet.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It's the following year I wonder a lot about. Their pg Allen who is very good will be a Jr. Mabrey and Cable will be very good players. They'll have Reimer as an upper-classmen jr. ANd they'll ahve super-soph Turner. Not to metnion what else they pick up. There is a good bet that year we'll face them twice. There is also a good bet Jewel Lloyd is going to get a lot better over the next two years. IMO too much to expect that in one game with fine support that she won't have play extremely well.
you know- I just don't see cable as ever becoming a really good player, and other than her great shooting when wide open, even though she hit a nice shot in NC under a little pressure, I see Mabrey as another avg player, with little athleticism, and hurting them big time on defense. I worry alot more about youngn's like Reimer, Turner, Westbeld--- those two just don't scare me ever. Maybe I'm missing something -

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

She is clearly overrated.

I'm not sure she would even make that pathetic Canadian National team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom