Jersey Guy Clamors for UConn-BC-UMass Rivalry Games | The Boneyard

Jersey Guy Clamors for UConn-BC-UMass Rivalry Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted before. I like what Blaudschun is saying and like even more the fact that he's saying it at all. There's no question we could use lots more media voices out there publically advocating for UConn and BC playing each other in football, basketball, etc. His push to include UMass in the mix is fine with me as long as UConn v BC football is part of it.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12535

Reaction Score
UMass' upgrade didn't get them to MAC level. That's taking steps back. If they want to invest more then sure but lets see it. Enough with the taking steps back.

Reaction Score
As much as I want a UConn-BC game to happen yearly, it's never going to happen unless someone presents the dollars and cents aspect of the game.

Reaction Score
it's never going to happen unless someone presents the dollars and cents aspect of the game.

Chances would be enhanced if there was a concerted media drumbeat for the game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Chances would be enhanced if there was a concerted media drumbeat for the game.
Agreed. But BC has so much fun saying no. More fun than playing. So its not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UMASS did not want to leave the A-10 for basketball. The MAC gave them two years to do it and they didn't move all sports to the MAC.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...id-america-conference-2015-season-per-sources
Totally agree. UMass sealed its own fate. Their biggest rivalry for hoops was Temple, & Once the Owls left for the Big East-AAC for all sports, UMass was left on an island. An invite to the MAC was spurned, & now they are feeling the pain of that decision.

Reaction Score
Oh look, I think that's Chesco in the comments section.

WOW! There's a blast from the past. Easily one of the six dumbest people to ever post on the internet.......

Reaction Score
Agreed. But BC has so much fun saying no. More fun than playing. So its not going to happen.
Their worst nightmare is UConn takes over as the dominant New England football program, and they know a B1G affiliation will suck the remaining life right out of them. If they weren't so petty and self important, they would go tandem to the B1G and give the B1G total market dominance of the NY Metro and New England markets. But, that makes too much sense.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
That's the first jersey guy column I've ever agreed with.

Annual UConn-BC games make sense to everyone except the dolts at BC. It could be another UNC-Duke, Cal-Stanford, Tennessee-Vandy, FSU-Miami, Illinois-Northwestern, etc.

It will happen eventually. We'll be long gone by then.

Reaction Score
That's the first jersey guy column I've ever agreed with.

Annual UConn-BC games make sense to everyone except the dolts at BC. It could be another UNC-Duke, Cal-Stanford, Tennessee-Vandy, FSU-Miami, Illinois-Northwestern, etc.

It will happen eventually. We'll be long gone by then.
Could be UConn-Syracuse. We have a rivalry with that school that played out much more on the field and court.

Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn open against UMass every year.

Reaction Score
GUConn-UMass is such a natural rivalry given the proximity and history between the schools in both basketball and football. If I'm not mistaken the two schools are pretty much dead even as far as records vs each other in football so that needs to be addressed/fixed;). Both schools need a "real" rivalry game to rally their respective fan base around. Travel costs are pretty minimal for both schools and that's a real good thing considering where both schools need to travel to for the rest of their schedule. Neither has one as of now and Temple, some might consider, has plenty of their own rivals in their own state so it's gonna take some mighty important games between the Huskies and the Owls to make that a true rivalry game each year.

UConn-UMass meet at Gillette in 2016. If a very good crowd shows up(and there's no reason why both schools should not be well represented) it could turn some heads and possibly shame BC into a New England rivalry especially if that game can out sell many BC home games that year and the press pick up on that info. Imagine if the UConn/UMass game at Gillette outsells the UMass/BC game in Chestnut Hill in 2016. And..... out sell the BC/Buffalo, BC/N. Illinois, BC/Louisville and BC/Clemson games.

Of course that all hinges on whether the press in New England are paying attention enough to point it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I would rather play UMass than a 1-AA cupcake. If we're looking for an easy win to open up the year (which those games should be), it would be more appealing for said game to have local color. We don't need every single OOC game to be a juggernaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom