Jerry Palm prediction cbs sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jerry Palm prediction cbs sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will most likely find out either Saturday night or Sunday, once Houston and Temple sort out who will "presumably" go to a NY6 bowl. Then the AAC bowls will proceed with their available options. My guess is if Houston loses they will go to Bham to play SEC. If Houston wins, Memphis will end up in Bham. After that, anyones guess.

For the "Warde didn't do his job" crowd, he doesn't have much control where we end up. And with a 6-6 record, there is very little bargaining power to help him make a compelling case. He could try to use the conflicting schedule, if Hoops is playing oany of those days, to try and get the bowl the school wants, but the odds are Tulsa and UConn will be the last 2 choices. It is ultimately Aresco and the bowls will be making the final decisions.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Oh dear, I've done the dreaded "One-Post-Too-Many" thing again. Sorry, folks.

To reset:

* I am thrilled that UConn is in line for a bowl, any bowl. Perhaps I'm picking too many nits today, but I am by no means ungrateful or dismissive of this achievement.

* B'ham or St. Pete would be a great experience for UConn football. It's just my personal opinion that Boca, NYC or perhaps Hawaii would be an even better experience. Nothing more or less.

* ESPN is not UConn's TV parner - they're just not. They do not have the UConn AD's best interests in mind, and have acted accordingly for over a decade. For this view, I don't apologize at all.

Please continue enjoing the thread, and have a most splendiferous day...

Reaction Score
We were 6-6 with 1 win over a team wth better than a .500 record. There are lots of things that I think Warde has screwed up where his defenders argue "out of his control" but in this case it really is. I hope he is lobbying Aresco and the assorted bowl bigwigs to get the best available but in this case the only screwup would be if we were somehow left out. If 6-6 gets you an 11 am kick off on December 26 that's what it gets you. And while I get why folks would love the Pinstripe, if I were a player and offered Boca or the Bronx at the end of December I'm on the first plane south.

Reaction Score
None of these so called experts know anything about the match ups or locations. Just sit back and wait. It will cause less indigestion.

Reaction Score
I do not see why the St. Pete bowl date would be a big issue. You can fly to either Tampa or Orlando (1.5 hr drive at most) late on the 25th, which would allow you to spend most of Christmas day with your family, and then be ready for the game the next day. With an 11AM kickoff, you could even return home the day of the game and only spend a day away.

Reaction Score
We were 6-6 with 1 win over a team wth better than a .500 record. There are lots of things that I think Warde has screwed up where his defenders argue "out of his control" but in this case it really is. I hope he is lobbying Aresco and the assorted bowl bigwigs to get the best available but in this case the only screwup would be if we were somehow left out. If 6-6 gets you an 11 am kick off on December 26 that's what it gets you. And while I get why folks would love the Pinstripe, if I were a player and offered Boca or the Bronx at the end of December I'm on the first plane south.

Exactly. UConn is not in the drivers seat. Freescooter is "right on". In as much as UConn fans want a "good" opponent in a "good" bowl, there probably just as many fans bases on the other side of a bowl equation that don't want to play UConn. Our 6-6 record and performance is what it is, wins came primarily at the expense of sub .500 teams, and UConn does not pack a lot of offensive punch.

Reaction Score
Exactly. UConn is not in the drivers seat. Freescooter is "right on". In as much as UConn fans want a "good" opponent in a "good" bowl, there probably just as many fans bases on the other side of a bowl equation that don't want to play UConn. Our 6-6 record and performance is what it is, wins came primarily at the expense of sub .500 teams, and UConn does not pack a lot of offensive punch.

If you say Freescooter is "right on" one more time, Fishy will throat punch you. :eek:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We are 6-6 and our attendance this past season was putrid. Bowls aren't going to do any backflips in trying to invite us - even if it's a 5-7 P5 program. If we are invited to Hawaii, we happily say "Aloha, b1tches!" and donate tickets through the school.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Just saw this:

Boca Raton Bowl
FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, Florida
Tuesday, Dec. 22, 7 p.m. (ESPN)

Schlabach: Memphis vs. Toledo
McMurphy: UConn vs. Toledo

I would hate for McMurphy to be right about this.

First of all, Toledo is having a heck of a year. Until they lost to Western Michigan, they were looking to sneak into the G5 top spot. But if you beat them, people around the nation will say, "So what? It's Toledo." I hate being in lose-lose situations, so I'd rather go up against a "household name" program that gets more credit than they deserve...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the AAC is smart they will try to set up as many 'wins' as they can. That means USF gets a better team and UConn/Tulsa get the Sun Beasts of the world. They could also use the 'ticket' strategy and put teams where they are more likely to bring the most fans. The lightest traveling team gets Hawaii. If they adopt a 'Ryder Cup' strategy then they lock up as many wins by sacrificing a team or two to the strongest opponents and go for a 6-2 record.

I think they ask the host committees which teams they want and the ones paying more get preference after you account for the academic schedules.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that this bowl game is MUCH bigger than the quality of our team or our opponent. This is a huge opportunity to show that there is, in fact, a following -- and we need to get as many butts in the seats as possible! When those cameras pan across the crowds, I'd much rather see a sea of 20000 UConn fans in New York than a few hundred die-hards in St. Pete.
As much as I'd like to be traveling somewhere warm in a few weeks, I think that the Toilet Bowl at Yankee Stadium will have the greatest impact on the perception of the program.
Winning at the box office is just as important as winning on the field if we want to start talking about that P5 invite.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that this bowl game is MUCH bigger than the quality of our team or our opponent. This is a huge opportunity to show that there is, in fact, a following -- and we need to get as many butts in the seats as possible! When those cameras pan across the crowds, I'd much rather see a sea of 20000 UConn fans in New York than a few hundred die-hards in St. Pete.
As much as I'd like to be traveling somewhere warm in a few weeks, I think that the Toilet Bowl at Yankee Stadium will have the greatest impact on the perception of the program.
Winning at the box office is just as important as winning on the field if we want to start talking about that P5 invite.
20,000 UCONN fans at Yankee Stadium? That's basically the whole season ticket base.

Reaction Score
20,000 UCONN fans at Yankee Stadium? That's basically the whole season ticket base.
Just threw out a number... I'm guessing we had 12k at the army game last year. I think that a bowl game at Yankee Stadium would draw significantly higher. Maybe?

Reaction Score
Just threw out a number... I'm guessing we had 12k at the army game last year. I think that a bowl game at Yankee Stadium would draw significantly higher. Maybe?
3-5K tops and that's being generous. Nebraska travels between 20-30K and they are on the high end. They pack the place for the Holiday Bowl in San Diego.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It doesn't matter because the Pinstripe is a pipe dream. Maybe if we won against Temple.

Reaction Score
3-5K tops and that's being generous. Nebraska travels between 20-30K and they are on the high end. They pack the place for the Holiday Bowl in San Diego.

You think we only had 3-5k at the Army game? And then you expect us to pay attention to anything else you say?

Reaction Score
3-5K UConn fans at Yankee stadium if we make the Pinstripe Bowl? I'll take the over and lay big time odds. I think we'd be in the 10-15K ballpark for that game. Now, maybe only 3-5K buy tickets thru the school's bowl package (depending on pricing and what is on the market, similar to Fiesta Bowl), but the eye ball test will prove it's 10K+. It's a train ride, day trip for the majority of the season ticket holders. Enough days after Christmas and before NYE. You'll get at least half your season ticket base going, plus a fair amount of non season ticket holders.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter because the Pinstripe is a pipe dream. Maybe if we won against Temple.
Not as much as one would think.
Have been seeing everyone from UConn to Cal being touted for the Pinstripe Bowl. They could very well sneak into this game.

Reaction Score
Not as much as one would think.
Have been seeing everyone from UConn to Cal being touted for the Pinstripe Bowl. They could very well sneak into this game.

It's pretty unlikely given who controls it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It's all going to depend on how they hand out the 5-7 invites. I would bet the farm that Nebraska would get this as a "B1G rep" over an at large, if given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom