Jeremy Lamb - Real GM Analysis of his Second Chance | The Boneyard

Jeremy Lamb - Real GM Analysis of his Second Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/238765/The-Second-Chances-Of-Perry-Jones-Jeremy-Lamb

"The argument for why Lamb deserves another shot is pretty simple. For all the knocks he received in terms of consistency, he consistently put up numbers whenever he got on the floor. His per-36 minute numbers were always good - 16 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal on 43% shooting in 2014 and 17 points, 6 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1 steal on 42% shooting in 2015. It’s a bit of a chicken and an egg with younger players who can’t get consistent playing time because all they can really control is what they do when they do get to play. Maybe there was some reason why Lamb wasn’t getting time behind guys getting worse numbers or maybe there wasn’t. The NBA isn’t always a meritocracy..."

Reaction Score
i like this guy and his affinity for lamb on realgm, a place that takes continuous dumps on him in the general board forum

Reaction Score
Scotty Brooks was at fault...Reggie Jackson hardly played when Westbrook was healthy and after he got to Detroit ,Jackson put up some great numbers and new contract.

Reaction Score
Lamb is about to blow up in Charlotte. Best thing to happen to his career. OKC revolves around Durant and Westbrook... look at how Harden blew up after going to Houston, and then Jackson's game blossoming in Detroit after getting out of OKC.

Reaction Score
ktuck911 said:
Lamb is about to blow up in Charlotte. Best thing to happen to his career. OKC revolves around Durant and Westbrook... look at how Harden blew up after going to Houston, and then Jackson's game blossoming in Detroit after getting out of OKC.

Rooting for Lamb, but Jackson and Harden put up very good stats when given opportunity in Oklahoma City. Lamb has not.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Rooting for Lamb, but Jackson and Harden put up very good stats when given opportunity in Oklahoma City. Lamb has not.

My memory is fuzzy on Jackson but didn't he put up most of his stats playing PG when Westbrook was out? Could be wrong. But Harden? Tough to compare Lamb to Harden.

Reaction Score
Lamb's biggest downfall is his motor. He doesn't have the mentality to take over a game. Jackson may believe in his ability to do that a little too much, but Lamb gets complacent.

I can agree with this, but I still think he can be successful. He just needs to play off of other players. He needs to be a third option type of player. Thats why I thought he would be a good fit in OKC, but they just had too many guns there. Put him on a team with some dominant scorers that draw alot of offensive attention, and watch him knock down open mid range shots and 3. That should be his role and I think he can thrive in it.

Reaction Score
Watching Charlotte play, they are one of the few teams that truly emphasizes team ball movement. Kemba does a ton of pick n rolls, and they play inside out with Big Al. Adding the pieces that CHA has this offseason, it should no longer be possible for opposing teams to successfully double-team Al without leaving the 3 open, which should VASTLY improve this year. Lamb will still prob be 8 on the bench due to the addition of Linsanity, but Steve Clifford goes deep and Lamb should get ample opportunities. PLUS, playing with Kemba again should help his confidence and he will be pressured by Kemba to live up to his expectations. I feel this is a perfect fit for him.

Reaction Score

The article says the exact opposite; that lamb did put up good numbers when he got a chance. The issue was he never got a chance. 17 ppg per 36 min on mid 40s shooting isn't bad.

I'm sure it has to do with his demeanor and I'm assuming a lack of d ( I don't want enough NBA to know how his d is).

Brooks is an idiot. That has been well established .

Reaction Score
The biggest issue I've heard with Lamb is his defense. 2nd one is that you couldn't count on him to play 10-20 minutes and make the open 3 - he is/was much more of a heat-check make your own offense type of scorer and OKC didn't need that.

Reaction Score
Watching Charlotte play, they are one of the few teams that truly emphasizes team ball movement. Kemba does a ton of pick n rolls, and they play inside out with Big Al. Adding the pieces that CHA has this offseason, it should no longer be possible for opposing teams to successfully double-team Al without leaving the 3 open, which should VASTLY improve this year. Lamb will still prob be 8 on the bench due to the addition of Linsanity, but Steve Clifford goes deep and Lamb should get ample opportunities. PLUS, playing with Kemba again should help his confidence and he will be pressured by Kemba to live up to his expectations. I feel this is a perfect fit for him.
Charlotte and ball movement? Personnel played a role but their offensive scheme was atrocious.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I remember watching this game (I believe Westbrook & Durant were out) and thinking of how good this kid could be if they ran the right sets for him.. #Smoothcookins

Reaction Score
Lamb's role was obviously extremely limited with OKC....When you're getting the type of minutes he was getting, you either come in and make a huge immediate impact or go back to the bench in favor of the starter..It's the most frustrating thing as a player because you simply cannot get into the game long enough to get in a rhythm...Either way, we will find out after this year..He's still 23 keep in mind

Reaction Score
Brooks was the issue....lamb will blow up in Charlotte for a fact. He's offense fuels his defense. More touches on offense he gets the better he will be on defense. He just need consistent minutes.

Reaction Score
lets not get ahead of ourselves, a lot of the blame falls on lambs shoulders too. He got down on himself when given inconsistent tick. Scotty would throw him in there for meaningless minutes and lamb would just not play defense and jack atrocious shots. his entire attitude on the defensive end needs to change for him to succeed in this league, he needs to utilize his length more the way calhoun taught him. Play with the same motor on both ends. Clifford is not easy to please at all

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I follow the NBA much closer than I do college and the word was that Lamb didn't have a good relationship with Brooks, And Westbrook. Probably the two worst guys on the team to butt heads with, but here's to hoping he does big things in Charlotte.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Scotty Brooks fan. Whenever you have 2 or 3 best players in the league u need to win a championship,regardless of unexpected injuries.

Reaction Score
Lamb put up a 110 ORtg last year. There was no excuse to have him playing so little.

Just for fun, I made list of comps for Lamb's last two seasons. Over the last two years, he's played 2171 minutes with a .527 TS% and 15.9 p/36mp. That's roughly a full season's worth of minutes for a solid regular who isn't a star, so I found players who had, over the course of a single season, played between 2000 and 2300 minutes and scored between 15-17p/36mp with a TS% between 51% and 54%. Some of the names that popped up: Manu Ginobili (03-04), Dwyane Wade (03-04), Bradley Beal (14-15), Voshon Leonard (03-04), Kendall Gill (94-95), Billy Owens (94-95), Gerald Wilkins (90-91), and Vernon Maxwell (92-93). I filtered out most of the older names and the guys who played primarily on the ball, so this is most of the comparable wing players. A range from solid pro to all-star caliber, certainly. It should be noted that Wade put up those numbers when he was 22, the age Lamb played at last season.

What does this mean? Not much, other than to say that Scott Brooks left a viable offensive weapon on the bench so he could play Dion Waiters, who produced little value on offense OR defense.

Reaction Score
@CallMeBruce yeah brooks was a nutjob for playing freaking roberson and waiters over lamb so much. then they got dj augustine and decided to run the two pg lineup with rw. I really don't get the consensus from the okc media who ALSO threw lamb under the bus, barely mentioning him in any piece. almost like he wasn't on the team. they would talk about kyle singler/waiters like he was the savior, lamb was an equal option sitting there on the bench.

Reaction Score
I remember him and Perry Jones playing a fairly significant role in this game and thinking OKC might be in pretty good shape with those 2.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Some may call it a weakness, but we are all created differently & JLamb seems like the type of player who needs his coach and teammates to believe in him. Early on in his freshman year his performance was barely noticeable...once he got the time and played with Coach Calhoun's confidence, he was a world beater. He will be a significant upgrade for Charlotte at the 2 and being reunited with Kemba will also be a very positive factor.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/charlotte-hornets-jeremy-lamb-starter-081615

No news, just a reminder:

"Lamb just turned 23 and has tremendous physical gifts to thrive at the two guard spot for a very long time. If he can ever figure out how to create his own shot and/or consistently knock down spot-up three pointers while not being a liability on the other end, Lamb will find his place in the NBA. But he only has one more year to do it..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom