JC to have official word on return | The Boneyard

JC to have official word on return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
in September.

From the Courant: So Calhoun doesn't sound like a coach stepping away. But after 25 miles of pedaling, he wasn't about to drop any news about his future to the assembled media.

"You guys will be the first to know," Calhoun told reporters. "Well, not first. Close to the first."

From some reason, those quips don't strike me as funny as they used to.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I love Calhoun. He took an obscure program and built it into a three-time national champion. You can't beat that. I am forever grateful. But I think he's handling questions about his return very poorly. He should have stated clearly in March - no hedging, no wisecracks, no fiddling around - whether he is staying or leaving. He is hurting the program with his indecision and his game-playing with reporters.

Reaction Score
Man loves with summer press and AD's...if i remeber correct, he was going to announce during the final four or the next week......

(Yes fishy i understand he is coming back, no need to call me an idiot or a fool)
:)

Reaction Score
He is staying. But he is not sure how much longer he will coach after this season. He is also pushing for KO to be his replacement. Nothing new there but that is the word from CT.

Reaction Score
It's probably a pipe-dream, but in another year or two if Ray finally hangs them up for good and if he's looking to stay near his CT home, he'd look mighty good as an assistant alongside KO.
The recruiting help with him out there would be off the charts. Can you imagine Ray going into a recruits home and the impact he'd have with a recruit and especially the recruit's parent(s)? Ultimate representative of UConn.

anyway like I said probably a pipe-dream, but what the hell.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think he's putting too much pressure on himself - why rush an announcement? Just take it game by game - just make an announcement prior to the game so that if we don't see him out there, we know it's because he's retired and not because his back, hip, knee, stomach or elbow isn't acting up again.

No need to worry about recruiting....Germans seem to decide late anyway.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's probably a pipe-dream, but in another year or two if Ray finally hangs them up for good and if he's looking to stay near his CT home, he'd look mighty good as an assistant alongside KO.
The recruiting help with him out there would be off the charts. Can you imagine Ray going into a recruits home and the impact he'd have with a recruit and especially the recruit's parent(s)? Ultimate representative of UConn.

anyway like I said probably a pipe-dream, but what the hell.

Sounds very good, but I wonder if Ray would be okay with being an assistant. At the alumni games, it is pretty clear (at least to me) who is the informal leader of the group--Ray Allen. Maybe this would not be an issue for him, I certainly have no way of knowing.

It also might not be his cup of tea to travel all over creation to try to lure recruits to Storrs, CT. He may want to relax, enjoy his millions, and pursue whatever interests him. However, if coaching at his alma mater is what interests him, it would hard to find two harder workers or better ambassadors for UConn.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Ray has had tremendous success in the NBA, I doubt he would be an assistant at the college level. I think he'd be assistant in the NBA over college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I think he's putting too much pressure on himself - why rush an announcement? Just take it game by game - just make an announcement prior to the game so that if we don't see him out there, we know it's because he's retired and not because his back, hip, knee, stomach or elbow isn't acting up again.

No need to worry about recruiting....Germans seem to decide late anyway.
Recruits love to be kept guessing. Knowing who will be coaching you for the next few years is overrated.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is evolving into Bob Knight II. A great coach who became his own worst enemy. I do NOT want Ollie as our next coach. But Calhoun seems to believe he is bigger than the program he built. Jim, George Washington was asked to be king but declined for a reason. Calhoun is letting his ego and Irish stubborness rule over his wisdom.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
He is totally screwing with our recruiting.

Do any of you over the top JC guys think he deserves this or think this is cool?

I love JC but he is up the program by dicking around

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Perhaps he doesn't want to be a liar if come September if his health or his desire fails him. Hasn't everyone figured out by now that he's staying right up until the day he decides to hang it up.

You can have your summer back now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
JC himself said that his announcement was very important for the program, especially for recruiting and that he would answer very shortly after the F4. Nice to see that he still feels that way.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ray has had tremendous success in the NBA, I doubt he would be an assistant at the college level. I think he'd be assistant in the NBA over college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
idk, out of all the alum i think he is the most grateful and loves the school, the way he talks about uconn and the love he shows, i think if ollie is head coach i could see him being on the staff and imagine what recruiting would be like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom