Jazz Memorial | The Boneyard

Jazz Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My wife and I have been working with the Athletic Department and the football team to get a permanent memorial to Jasper Howard installed at the Rent. The good news is that the new football staff, beginning with HCBD, are all on board and have actually met with us and they have reached out to former players and want to get this done. Their support is key but will not get this done by itself. The biggest issues and the potential sticking points are with the AD's office and the state. Without going into a ton of details, we first need to communicate to them that this memorial MUST happen. We are working with a number of former players and we have supporters within the AD's office. In order to express the will of Husky Nation, we will be circulating a petion beginning this weekend at the Spring game. We will be circulating throughout the blue lot before the game, will be outside gates C and D and will also have petitions available at the parents tailgate located at the first row of the blue lot outside gate C. Please consider signing the petition to honor Jazz's memory.

If you are looking for me, my name is Dan Lowry and I'll be wearing my 6 jersey with J. Howard on the back and my wife is Lisa and she'll be wearing her white 6 jersey.

Live 365 and Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Thanks Dan for working hard on this memorial. Have you thought about using http://www.change.org? That would certainly give you better access to people and the viral nature of things like this could go crazy on Facebook.

Also...why is a petition needed? If the coaches and players are on board,and many can be raised, what would keep it from happening?

See you at the game.

Reaction Score
Also...why is a petition needed? If the coaches and players are on board,and many can be raised, what would keep it from happening?

Thanks Art for the link. That definitely looks like another resource for us. We will also have a Facebook page, Twitter account, and an on-line petition by this weekend. I'll post again when they're up.

As far as the need for a petition, we have had discussions with members of the AD's department and people within the UConn Foundation, and while they all agree that something should be done, some are resistant to a permanent memorial at the Rent. We are envisioning a 6 statue located in a place accessible by everone, like at the end of Husky Walk. Players can touch it, fans as well. The resistance is to the scope of the memorial. One issue that I think we're facing is that this current administration wasn't here when it happened. I hope this petition will show them how important this would be, not just to the team at the time, but to all of Husky Nation.

Reaction Score
I support his idea and think it’s great. My only concern is that I believe the State owns Rentschler Field and not the University. That may make the approval process a lot more complicated. The Rent is also not readily accessible on non-game days, especially to the university community. Would it make more sense to have it on campus, maybe in the ‘plaza’ entrance in front of Burton? Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Another thought would be a memorial of some sort just outside the practice facilities. A modest reminder so when players come in or out they are reminded to "Play like it's their last play".

Reaction Score
Another thought would be a memorial of some sort just outside the practice facilities. A modest reminder so when players come in or out they are reminded to "Play like it's their last play".

There is a large tribute to Jazz inside the Burton now and it is something the players are well aware of. Through discussions with former players, especially Kashif Moore, they really believe it should be at the Rent, but to a man, they want it to be something that the players and fans can interract with, not just a plaque or number up on a wall or scoreboard.

Reaction Score
I support his idea and think it’s great. My only concern is that I believe the State owns Rentschler Field and not the University. That may make the approval process a lot more complicated. The Rent is also not readily accessible on non-game days, especially to the university community. Would it make more sense to have it on campus, maybe in the ‘plaza’ entrance in front of Burton? Just a thought.

That is a concern, and as we are doing this, it has been a two pronged effort. One, getting the University on board, and two, addressing the State control of the Rent. In some ways, considering how many things the University has done at the field, like the logo on the outside and the flags, signage, ect., if they want to do this, it will ease the process tremendously.

Reaction Score
What a great idea! Is there anywhere on campus that my wife could sign the petition? Unfortunately we will not be at the spring game, but she works on campus and would go anywhere she had to to sign it.

Reaction Score
What a great idea! Is there anywhere on campus that my wife could sign the petition? Unfortunately we will not be at the spring game, but she works on campus and would go anywhere she had to to sign it.

We don't have any official place on campus, but we will have an online petition in the next day or two.

Reaction Score
It was great meeting a number of you Saturday and we got over 250 signatures for the memorial. We now have the online petition up and please sign it if you didn't sign on Saturday. Please make sure to share it with your friends as well.

https://www.change.org/petitions/th...rd-located-on-the-grounds-of-rentschler-field#

We also have a facebook page you can access for information and any questions. www.facebook.com/jasperhowardmemorial
We are meeting with a monument company today so i'll update the facebook page with any new information.

Thanks!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It was great meeting a number of you Saturday and we got over 250 signatures for the memorial. We now have the online petition up and please sign it if you didn't sign on Saturday. Please make sure to share it with your friends as well.

https://www.change.org/petitions/th...rd-located-on-the-grounds-of-rentschler-field#

We also have a facebook page you can access for information and any questions. www.facebook.com/jasperhowardmemorial
We are meeting with a monument company today so i'll update the facebook page with any new information.

Thanks!

Thank you for posting this. I never found you on Saturday and really wanted to sign. Now, mission accomplished.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Dan, great job you guys are doing to create a memorial for Jasper Howard. I just signed your petition today... Just curious, do you have any sketches yet of what the monument/statue might look like? Sometimes seeing things even in concept help get folks excited about a project.

Reaction Score
Dan, great job you guys are doing to create a memorial for Jasper Howard. I just signed your petition today... Just curious, do you have any sketches yet of what the monument/statue might look like? Sometimes seeing things even in concept help get folks excited about a project.
Thanks SON, we met with the monument company today and we will have preliminary drawings by Monday. I'll post them then to the facebook and petition pages. As of now we have about 500 signatures. I'd like to get to 5000 before we meet with UConn in a couple of weeks, so please share the links with all your social media friends and anyone you can think of!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Miss Jazz ,boy had the heart of a lion, I would put memorial in end zone behind student section let the kids touch it before every home game for good luck

Reaction Score
Miss Jazz ,boy had the heart of a lion, I would put memorial in end zone behind student section let the kids touch it before every home game for good luck

That's exactly where we envision it, right on the concourse behind the students. Visible from the stadium and a place that the team can touch it on their way down for warm-ups

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sorry I missed you Saturday but I signed it tonight and put it on my facebook page and twitter. My hope is you hit the number of signatures by this weekend

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Just signed online. Think it's a great idea.

Reaction Score
Was great to meet you & your wife on Saturday. Our whole group signed the petition. Great idea.

Reaction Score

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
We're up over 1000 total signatures. Please, if you haven't signed, do so here: https://www.change.org/petitions/th...rd-located-on-the-grounds-of-rentschler-field

If you have, thank you, and please forward it to as many as you can. We've had a great response from former players, especially Kashif Moore and Sio Moore. Sio has been all over Twitter rallying people. It's awesome.

Facebook, www.facebook.com/jasperhowardmemorial , please stop by and like it when you have a chance.
I am retweeting those guys like crazy. Just thinking now, do you have a hashtag on those, in case we can get some traction on our retweets?

Reaction Score
I am retweeting those guys like crazy. Just thinking now, do you have a hashtag on those, in case we can get some traction on our retweets?
Thanks for the retweets. We're up over 1400 signatures. It has been noticed and we're moving on this finally after months of frustrations.

my wife has been hashtagging #jasperhowardmemorial

"Live 365" Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member