Jay Williams | The Boneyard

Jay Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only guy I've heard who has us beating Nova, actually the only other guys I've heard talk about us have us losing to St. Joe's.

Reaction Score
I haven't been paying attention to any bracket predictions and it doesn't particularly interest me. That said, Jay Williams picking us is probably about as reassuring as Digger picking us. Bad omen.

Reaction Score
Feel like most people just have huge 'yarders for a St Joes-Nova matchup and forget that The Hawks have to beat us first.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I haven't been paying attention to any bracket predictions and it doesn't particularly interest me. That said, Jay Williams picking us is probably about as reassuring as Digger picking us. Bad omen.
Except Jay Williams was one of two analysts (other being Bilas) who had us in the Final Four in 2011.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Chip on shoulder. UConn & the other AAC teams better put forth solid efforts.

I think we make some noise.

Bilas's pick gives me concern as he is the only talkinghead that does his own thinking & is correct more often than not. Others are just talking to talk & are not better at predictions than they were at coaching.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nate Silver says UConn has a 67% chance of beating St. Joe's.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So our weakness they will exploit is DD's inconsistency? Great breakdown. What is "block percentage"?

1. Connecticut, too -- Could Shabazz Napier pull a Kemba Walker and take UConn on a memorable run? Maybe. But the Huskies have a problem that Saint Joseph’s will exploit in their second-round matchup. DeAndre Daniels has been inconsistent in recent months, and the Huskies clearly need him to shine in their first opening game to secure a win. The Hawks (16th in block percentage per Ken Pomeroy) have a rugged frontcourt anchored by Ronald Roberts Jr. and Halil Kanacevic. Plus, Phil Martelli’s program is confident after winning the Atlantic 10 tourney crown. It’s one-and-done for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
What is "block percentage"?
  1. The Hawks (16th in block percentage per Ken Pomeroy)
It's literally just percentage of opponents' shots blocked. Those stats are wrong though... St. Joes is 64th at 12.2% of opponents' shots blocked. Maybe they got confused because UConn blocks 16% of opponents' shots (6th in nation). St. Joes doesn't get their shots blocked often, though, only 7.2% of their shots are blocked. Then again, the best shot-blocking team in their conference wasn't really even in the same neighborhood as us, so I'm not sure you can trust their %.

Reaction Score
Only guy I've heard who has us beating Nova, actually the only other guys I've heard talk about us have us losing to St. Joe's.

I don't know what's going on here. If all of these talking heads picking St. Joseph's is a reflection of the faith in Phil Martelli vs. KO? Both teams finished the season 11-4 in their last 15. Yeah, the Hawks won the A-10 and we got semi-trashed by Louisville, but imo we beat much tougher teams to get to that game. I think the trouble that I have looking at our team, is that, other than Shabazz and Neils Giffey, there is no position/player that you can look at for consistent performance(scoring,rebounding,defense). I've heard Seth Greenberg's comments about us when he picked St. Joseph's. But none of the others. What are the general concerns? I'm especially interested in what Bilas had to say.

GO HUSKIES!!!
BEAT THE HAWKS!!!
555.jpg

628x471.jpg

Reaction Score
The talking heads will talk..the players will play..of course it's interesting to see who picks which schools, but in the end its just chatter. I did really enjoy Mad Dog Russo's rant against the selection committee yesterday though - not sure if anyone listened, but he said the American got no respect (specifically mentioning UConn, along with Louisville), and said that the seeding was a joke. Also thought it was a joke that SMU got snubbed over NC St. and Iowa - did you know Iowa has lost 5 of its last 6 games? ?? I'm all about a team's "body of work" (very overrused term), but c'mon- wins in November cannot be weighted the same as wins in March. I get that that negates our win v. Florida a tad (not much), but I think it's fair to see it would be more significant to win games late in the year than early in the year..ok that is all for now. F the haters. Let's get this W.

Reaction Score
UConn's play this year has been very inconsistent. One reason for the bad reviews is that some of our best performances were on CBS Sports or ESPN 13. Some of our recent and worst performances were watched nationally, particularly the second Louisville game. So I'm not surprised by the many analysts who see a St. Joe's upset. I like being the underdog in a way.

Reaction Score
Everyone ought to pick UConn to make the final four and there should be a feature film "ESPN is a Doody".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom