Jalen Rose said that only 8 states have a shot clock in high school hoops. Can that be true? | The Boneyard

Jalen Rose said that only 8 states have a shot clock in high school hoops. Can that be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I heard Jalen Rose say on ESPN that only 8 states have the shot close in high school hoops? Is that true? I find that hard to believe, but maybe that is the case.

If that is true, I can see why you have to be careful to draw conclusions about the stats of HS recruits, though regardless to having or not having a shot clock, the level of competition recruits face is probably a bigger factor.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The states that have a shot clock are actually out of compliance with the national federation.

Connecticut doesn't have one - New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island do. I forget the rest, but it's usually 35 seconds for boys.

Reaction Score
The MA shotclock is 30 seconds, which is strange when you consider the college shotclock is 35. I don't see any reason for there not to be a shotclock at that level, even if it's 35-40 seconds.

Reaction Score
The MA shotclock is 30 seconds, which is strange when you consider the college shotclock is 35. I don't see any reason for there not to be a shotclock at that level, even if it's 35-40 seconds.
I wonder if it's that only 8 states have the 35 second clock and some have different durations to their shot clocks. Just doesn't seem believable that 42 states don't have shot clocks for their high schools.

Reaction Score
The states that have a shot clock are actually out of compliance with the national federation.

Connecticut doesn't have one - New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island do. I forget the rest, but it's usually 35 seconds for boys.

Really? Theres a shotclock in my high school (a ct town). I'm talking a physical shot clock on top of the basket I don't remember if they use it tbh.

Reaction Score
I found this answer on one site:

There are eight states that use the shot clock in high school. These states include California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Rhode Island and Washington. Washington was added in the 2010-11 season. Some states (for example, California) use a 35-second shot clock for boys; others (for example, Massachusetts) use a 30-second clock.

Now, it's been a while since I went to a HS game in CT, but I swear that they used a shot clock years ago when I watched Doug Wiggins play at EHH. Maybe I'm mistaken. Anyone confirm if CT uses a shot clock or not?

Reaction Score
Really? Theres a shotclock in my high school (a ct town). I'm talking a physical shot clock on top of the basket I don't remember if they use it tbh.
Maybe it is accurate and it is just 8 states.

Reaction Score

There are eight states that use the shot clock in high school. These states include California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Rhode Island and Washington. Washington was added in the 2010-11 season. Some states (for example, California) use a 35-second shot clock for boys; others (for example, Massachusetts) use a 30-second clock.

Now, it's been a while since I went to a HS game in CT, but I swear that they used a shot clock years ago when I watched Doug Wiggins play at EHH. Maybe I'm mistaken. Anyone confirm if CT uses a shot clock or not?

NOT... (At least CIAC games. Preps May be different),

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Mike-Cardillo-CIAC-resists-change-even-when-3378497.php

Reaction Score

There is no shot clock in CT. No shot clock in NEPSAC either

Reaction Score
I imagine they're quite expensive, and some of those gyms were built decades ago before they were in use everywhere.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they can't enforce it everywhere because of the dollar amount ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom