It's Way Early, and Don't Laugh, But AAC Play... | The Boneyard

It's Way Early, and Don't Laugh, But AAC Play...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
appears to be on the improve. While the AAC is not in the same galaxy as the top conferences, and I would still kill to see UConn get the heck out and into a P5 where it rightfully belongs, the early results from some AAC schools are encouraging and might suggest the level of play is getting better. One can only hope.

For example:

- Houston is only 1-3, but barely lost 82-78 to #23 ranked George Washington.
- USF is 3-1, ranked #18, and only lost to #5Baylor @Baylor, 66-63.
- SMU is 1-2, but lost to #18 ranked ASU by only 7 pts., 64-57.
- Temple is 2-2, lost to an ok Florida team, 97-91 (which then beat #6 FSU, w/ Romero), then gave a good Rutgers team a game, losing in Piscataway, 61-51.
- Tulane, 3-2, lost 78-72 to highly ranked FSU (no Romero) in Tallahassee.
- Tulsa, 1-3, beat a rebuilding Arkansas, 74-67 (which went to 2nd round NCAA), lost to K-State by 8.

It was expected that USF would do very well, but it appears several AAC teams have their programs moving in the right direction. Losing will always stink, but for teams that have long struggled, I believe there are such things as 'moral victories'- competing well, though losing, is meaningful for them.

Last year, nobody could have imagined any AAC team not named UConn or USF competing with, let alone actually beating, even the lousiest SEC team. Or any ranked team, for that matter. And while I know it can be precarious using the transitive property to make one's argument, the improvement many AAC teams have made is undeniable. A long journey begins with a small step. Good for them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I admire your optimism but the AAC is a combined 27-17 while on Nov. 27, 2014 the AAC was 29-17.

Reaction Score
HR: always look forward to your "stuff" on here. I thought this note was especially good. Note that the American is making some noise on the gridiron as well. (Just think if TCU, Boise, San Diego State, etc had honored their "commitments" to the American - do I have those schools right?) Am remaining with my original stance of years back: the hell with the other leagues and trying to find a way out of this one; focus on making THIS one the best as was done with the original Big East.

Reaction Score
I admire your optimism but the AAC is a combined 27-17 while on Nov. 27, 2014 the AAC was 29-17.

I have neither the time nor inclination to check last year's AAC records; they're terrible. But I was talking about the quality of this year's AAC opponents, not the cumulative won-loss records in a vacuum. I'm certain NO AAC team beat any SEC team as of last Nov. 27, 2014. (Not until Nov.29 when UConn crushed Vanderbilt in Estero.) Several teams in the AAC are, in fact, playing better against better opposition this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom