It's Official - Werth Family | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's Official - Werth Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Courant

Apparently, none of the former Huskies in the NBA donated money to the facility costs. Donor names are sprinkled throughout the facility and one sign listed all former players who donated. Former men's players who donated include Steve Pikiell, but none of the NBA alumni.

Former women's players who donated include Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird, and Diana Taurasi, among others.
I am sorry but that is really stingy and selfish. How can they not donate? Unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Other than KO donating ,still very surprised none of the other nba guys stepped up and donated

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They built the building, the fans and boosters just had to pay for it.

Move on.

Yeah, but didn't JC hint that they were just waiting until the Hathaway was canned? Or until KO got the gig full time? Or was that just baloney?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Count me among the people surprised and ultimately disappointed that not a single former men's player has donated - except Pikell? Women make far far less and the fact that Lobo, Bird and Taurasi donated reflects well on the women, and poorly on the men.

Reaction Score
Very cool! Since they moved everything into the practice facility, what are they doing with the former space inside Gampel?

Reaction Score
As fans, we owe so much more to the players than they owe to the University. It's strange to see no donations considering how strong the brotherhood is and how often these guys come back to support Calhoun's charity game. I mean, you are seeing former athletes at the dedication for the new center. But still, we would be absolutely nowhere with out these guys so they deserve to make any decision they want.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Calhoun was always adamant he didn't think the. Nba guys should be asked to give.
And he was wrong. I said it before and will say it again, some of these players like Allen, Gay, Caron, Marshall etc. earned in excess of $100 million in their careers and can't send $100k back?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun has no problem asking me to donate to cancer. He should have no problem asking his alumni for few thousand bucks. I hope some of the NBAers do help in some way like Lobo, Taurasi and Bird did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Eh, people go to schools and pay tuition, and then get decent jobs and donate. In that sense, schools make money off students. And hey still ask for donations. That's why they call them donations. It's not like the school does favors to the students for free. This is always the relationship.

Reaction Score
And he was wrong. I said it before and will say it again, some of these players like Allen, Gay, Caron, Marshall etc. earned in excess of $100 million in their careers and can't send $100k back?

Call Calhoun and convince him to ask the players to donate. Let us know how you make out.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was always adamant he didn't think the. Nba guys should be asked to give.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this exactly what Calhoun's job was within the Athletic Department after he stepped down as coach? Some sort of a fundraising capacity?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You have a job - start writing some checks.
Yep, already did, however I also paid good money to send my children to UConn as did my father, his mother,etc.
I appreciate the fact that this is a big day, BUT, imagine how much bigger it would be if a bunch of the ex players all chipped in and gave a pledge of say $2MM with a challenge for a match.
I disagree that they owe the school nothing.
I'm going to temper my disappointment in hopes they are planning something and/or see the light.
If none or very few do give, I'll be puzzled.
Kudos to Stevie P and the ladies who gave

Reaction Score
Do you think the Uconn alum (mens) have become selfish. And forgotten it was their school along with their coaches that got them to where they are. Our most successful alum (Ray Allen) didn't give a dime. Hell Carmelo gave Syracuse 1M.
Actually Anthony gave $3 million to Syracuse for their practice facility.

I'm also shocked that none of the UConn NBA guys gave. It must be because UConn (Calhoun?) told them not to. Based on all the other players who gave to every other school that has built or is building a new practice facility I'd be very surprised if none of them offered on their own without being asked. So they must have been turned away. For whatever reason. I'd love to know why.

Whatever, doesn't matter. The place is built. It looks awesome. That's all that counts at this point.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this exactly what Calhoun's job was within the Athletic Department after he stepped down as coach? Some sort of a fundraising capacity?
Look, I'm only going on what Calhoun has publicly said in the past. I always thought that was to put pressure on Hathaway to do his job and not try to take the easy way out and ride the NBA coattails of the program.

Now that Hathaway is gone and they are supposedly not donating I'm going to take Calhoun at his word.

Reaction Score
HarryAGampel said:
Very cool! Since they moved everything into the practice facility, what are they doing with the former space inside Gampel?
Beyond admiring championship banners, renovations to prevent falling Patoni tiles, etc., the women's volleyball team likely appreciates more convenient practice time. Unlike some possible to very likely anonymous NBA player donations, the volleyballers now won't need to serve, volley, set, and spike as anonymously as in the past.

Reaction Score
A lot of the UConn women players
donated all the way back to Kerry Bascomb our first star. What's up NBA ?

Reaction Score
Seeing that the University was still paying JC after his retirement with the expectations that he would help with fundraising, surprised that former players have not been corralled to support the Center. But at the end of the day it's their money and I know many of them are very generous to various charities.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that none of the NBA players contributed toward the facility. Maybe they didn't disclose what they contributed so that the sense of contribution urgency would continue till they raised the rest of the money.

Not sure if that really makes a lot of sense, but I don't know what does.

Reaction Score
I'm sure at some point Jacobs will have an article about this very topic.

Certainly is a head-scratcher. Maybe they were asked to steer their cash into a different direction or something else that is on the horizon.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but it's certainly interesting to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom