Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who isn't completely in love with his game? Really slow first step, not the best athlete, not overly impressive size, lazy on defense.. with that said I would love to land him seems like the kid can ball out. Just not sold he's a top 20 type player . He's certainly not the type of player UK has recruited during the cal era.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The analogy isn't perfect and I stated that. I also stated that both are retailers. What I observed was that the labels indicating where the various items were manufactured were different. This was at the time when Walmart was rapidly expanding stores nationally. At that time the origination of the suppliers for Walmart was primarily from China. The other retailers were still utilizing markets in which labor costs were greater. That was the primary economic advantage Wal Mart had over it's competitors, imo, although not the exclusive factor. Since that time other retailers have followed suit. But by then Wal Mart had catapulted itself into the lead. All the retailers continue to move to the cheapest labor markets for their suppliers pretty much in sync now. They've learned their lesson. But Walmart was the primary moving force in that particular drive to find the cheapest suppliers. I'll hand it to them. They had the guts to move to a 3rd world country, in which there were no guarantees of stability, to get their supplies. It could have backfired on them completely. That's about as far as my admiration goes for Wal Mart.

This is nothing new. Businesses always try to find an advantage over their competitors. I'm not implying that Wal Mart reinvented the wheel when it took advantage of the Chinese opportunity. What I'm stating is that the information we, who are not directly related to a particular matter, receive isn't always balanced and complete. There was no mention originally of the manufacturing advantage Wal Mart had over it's competitors. At least I didn't see any in Baron's or WSJ. That's a big oversight imo. It may sound like I'm bragging or arrogant or like Chief00, but I was ahead of the curve concerning the negative repercussions this advantage was going to bring to the U.S. I warned my friends that any advantages we as consumers would gain as a result of inexpensive items would ultimately result in disadvantages with our trade gap, never mind the labor consequences. We only had to go back to the 60's to observe our economic "fall" relative to Japan. Unfortunately I was too far ahead of the curve. The critical information wasn't discussed by the talking heads of the time. Furthermore there were enough important differences between the 90's and the 60's which gave ammo to anyone who wanted to refute the argument that this movement into China would result in similar negative consequences as took place in the 60s. And of course there was the seduction of cheap goods which was an inertia dampener to any of us attempting to begin any discussions regarding this issue.

How does all this relate to Kentucky? Some things are obvious, some are not. We all suspect Duke has a recruiting advantage. We all feel it even if it can't be quatified. Dukie V assured them of that. Having a significant media personality constantly extolling the virtues of one university and coach (which ends up being at the expense of all other coaches and institutions) is a valuable advantage for that coach when it comes to recruiting. That is obvious and visceral to many of us and the reason why so many fans of other schools love to hate Duke. The situation at Kentucky is more obtuse, more opaque. You have to read between the lines to be even suspicious because there are so many positive legitimate factors with Kentucky (Just as there were a multitude of factors that could be pointed to about Wal Mart that it was easy for us to overlook the salient anti U.S factor that lead to Wal Mart's success ).

All I'm doing is being suspicious. If it smells like a skunk and waddles like a skunk it could still be a mink. But then again it might very well be a skunk. If this was a critically important issue, such as the U.S. economy, I might continue to be vigilant about the situation. But alas this is just sports and KO has Calipari's number. So all is good.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I feel the need to respond. Wal Mart and K Mart basically sell the same crap, which is for the most part manufactured in the same place.

Wal Mart has been able to get it into and out of its stores faster and for cheaper and managed this process better limiting wasted product or unsold inventory. This allows them to continue to order more, and over time it becomes a snowball effect, where their prices become cheaper and cheaper as their volumes improve, and as they continue to buy more their power over the supplier continues to increase, which even further lowers their purchasing price.

Stop pointing to third world manufacturing. P&G, Kraft, Hanes, Unilever, they all make the same crap in the same manufacturing centers whether its sold in Wal Mart or K Mart. That wasn't Wal Mart's advantage.

As far as KY is concerned, there is certainly reason to be suspicious. But at the same time they sent two or three kids to the lottery every year, have been to the final 4 in 3 of the last 4 years. They have Rupp, a rabid fanbase, world class facilities, AND they don't have to play Tulsa, Tulane, Eastern Carolina (oh my god this sucksssss). Oh and they have the best salesman in the game selling it all. It should be no surprise KY is getting any kid they want every year.

As soon as KO can continue to establish his track record and fingers crossed we finally get into a new conference, then we will be in a similar spot soon, but with no questions about our tactics.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I feel the need to respond. Wal Mart and K Mart basically sell the same crap, which is for the most part manufactured in the same place.

Wal Mart has been able to get it into and out of its stores faster and for cheaper and managed this process better limiting wasted product or unsold inventory. This allows them to continue to order more, and over time it becomes a snowball effect, where their prices become cheaper and cheaper as their volumes improve, and as they continue to buy more their power over the supplier continues to increase, which even further lowers their purchasing price.

Don't disagree with the efficiencies known to Wal Mart in the current time frame. But I looked at over 50 items store to store sometime in the early 90's and more than half of Wal Mart's items were manufactured in China. Less than 5% of K Mart items were manufactured in China. The things you mentioned are important. But before Sears and K Mart were overtaken by Wal Mart I maintain the primary advantage was getting the cheaper knock offs from China. It allowed Wal Mart to expand rapidly, much more so than those efficiencies you point out allowed. Once the other stores were overtaken, Wal Mart used its buying potential to get favorable deals relative to its competitors.

Our conference has some real duds without a doubt. But the SEC is not a bb conference by a long shot. So it shouldn't be factored in as an advantage relative to the other P5 conferences. It is on par with the A10 and the AAC basket ball wise imo. Football on the other hand the AAC is really struggling.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who isn't completely in love with his game? Really slow first step, not the best athlete, not overly impressive size, lazy on defense.. with that said I would love to land him seems like the kid can ball out. Just not sold he's a top 20 type player . He's certainly not the type of player UK has recruited during the cal era.
I'm with you on that assessment, though based on seeing just one of his games on TV, which is often not a good or fair way to draw conclusions on a recruit. With that said, reminded me a lot of a stronger and bigger Marcus Williams. He's a point that seems to be a pass first PG, but can turn on the scoring switch when needed. He's very strong and has a tight handle. He seems to use his strong frame to ward off defenders. I can't remember if his first step was quick or not. One thing is for sure, his 2nd, 3rd, etc, didn't look to be blow-by capable. He has a nice quick trigger deep J. As for his defense I have no idea. Hard to glean that from any player unless you get to see them play often for their high school team, assuming defense is stressed.

Keep in mind, Bazz, wasn't exactly a blazer but he was sneaky quick and has big time handle, to get off his shot or drive the gaps. There's nothing in Briscoe's game that tells me he couldn't develop those type of skills at the next level.

It does seem that he and his family are in love with the Squid and UK. Regardless, there are other recruits that I think would fit our needs better, but I'd welcome him with open arms if he chooses us.

If he ends up choosing UK, he'll be the next big time PG that chose to go elsewhere who finds himself on the losing end of a late round NCAA tourney game to the likes of UConn led by some supposedly less heralded PG. That formula never gets old does it?!?! Mark it down right here, right now!!! If Briscoe ends up at UK, expect to see Adams and his teammates jumping around the court as the clock strikes 0:00 while Briscoe and his fellow Wildcats walk off the court dejected. Who says that sequels are never as good as the first one. :)

Reaction Score
It seems he left UK without an offer. If that is true....why? Is he Calipari 's plan c. If he still chooses UK in the end.... they deserve each other.

where did you read that?

Reaction Score
Chris Fisher ‏@ChrisFisher247 3h
When I asked Isaiah Briscoe's dad about the UK scholarship situation: "I know he can go there if he wants" [VIP] http://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-set-the-bar-high-on-in-home-visit-with-Isaiah-Briscoe-31331612…

Reaction Score
He's going to run point on UK's third pod in 2015. After Cal fails with his 2 platoon system this year, he'll bring in Paul Azinger to teach him the Ryder Cup pod system. Briscoe will only get 13 minutes a game, but UK's new statistician will make it look like he played 34. Most other schools can't offer 34 minutes of extrapolated playing time.

Reaction Score
It seems he left UK without an offer. If that is true....why? Is he Calipari 's plan c. If he still chooses UK in the end.... they deserve each other.
I wondered how high Cal had him, considering he's on so many elite recruits. He is the highest rated PG in a few top # list, but that doesn't mean that he's what Cal wants most. It did sound like from a number of insiders that Cal wanted Briscoe, and Briscoe's camp was not shy in making it sound they were drooling all over the Wildcat logo.

I guess we'll have to see how this pans out. Maybe he the commitment took place and he's waiting to have one of those news conferences to announce his choice.

At this point we have two really nice pieces (Adams & Enoch) for our 2015 class. It seems we're all in for Stone if we're going to get a 5. Then the 4th ship is likely to go to the first from the list of guards and wings that are still considering UConn. I don't know if KO would take 5 this fall knowing they had to clear one additional shop come next spring. My guess he might if the right 5 pledge their allegiance. I still like the idea of adding Stone, Jones and am leaning towards Mack even if we land Stones or Clarke. We seem to have plenty of guards over the next few years, but are quite thin at the wing. Hamilton can easily be a one or two-and-done. Mack seems more like a Lamb/Rip type jump-shooting and mid-range scoring wing. While Jones and Clarke look more like the high-flying Clyde Drexler or Hakeem Warrick type wings. If either or both develop a reliable jump shot before or while in college, they'd not only be among the best wings out there, but a great fit for KO's balanced transition and half-court offense. But I digress!

Reaction Score
where did you read that?
There's an entire thread on the UK site with multiple fans saying "just offer him already" and asking whether UK has offered yet. Not sure how accurate that is.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that some of these 1 and doners who are kentucky freshman this year will be so buried in their deep roster (with so many of their elite recruits actually staying for a second year) that they will not have a shot to go very high in the draft after one year. If this actually starts happening, then I think we might finally see the pushback from Calipari's system.

Hopefull the NBA drafters will see that a guy playing little minutes on a stacked Kentucky roster might not be a superstar who just hasnt had time to shine, a la Orton who is now a fringe bench player at best.

The bottom line is these kids are dumb to go to this NBADL Jr. "university" if they truly want to shine. I'd rather see them go to someplace like Cleveland State, really make yourself stand out rather than being a role player on a college team that barely plays as a 'team' even though you were the best player in your state a year ago

Reaction Score
If Briscoe or Newman commits to UK, does that significantly help us with the other?

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that some of these 1 and doners who are kentucky freshman this year will be so buried in their deep roster (with so many of their elite recruits actually staying for a second year) that they will not have a shot to go very high in the draft after one year. If this actually starts happening, then I think we might finally see the pushback from Calipari's system.

Hopefull the NBA drafters will see that a guy playing little minutes on a stacked Kentucky roster might not be a superstar who just hasnt had time to shine, a la Orton who is now a fringe bench player at best.

The bottom line is these kids are dumb to go to this NBADL Jr. "university" if they truly want to shine. I'd rather see them go to someplace like Cleveland State, really make yourself stand out rather than being a role player on a college team that barely plays as a 'team' even though you were the best player in your state a year ago

I hear you but I also wonder if some of these kids think the quickest path to the NBA is through uk. Quickest path = milions. Remember we are talking about teenagers here, many enraptured with the goal of making a lot of money with their talent.

I don't think they are dumb just perhaps impatient and easily influenced by Cal's 'rap' (aa he is the best salesman in college basketball). The worst that can happen is their dream is delayed but gain a ton of exposure, press and face time on TV. The flip side is that many of those recruits are so good that if they went to another Div 1 school and perform as expected they would still realize their dream, maybe even in one year. However other coaches won't make the player the priority, focus or the 'star' above upperclassmen.

With that said I really don't believe winning Championships are a priority.

Reaction Score
It's not the end of the world to go to UK and end up having to stay for 2-3 years before going to the draft. Worst case is you transfer or don't get much PT in 4 years. If you can't get PT by senior year, you aren't going to get drafted anyway.

It doesn't matter what UK does. We have Ollie, he can recruit, motivate, and coach. He's here to stay. It's only a matter of time until we are considered one of the top 3-5 programs of all time.

Reaction Score
Briscoe is a legit top ten pick 1&done, he should go somewhere that offers maximum tick. if he goes to uk he in effect replaces either ulis or booker. he is way better than both. Booker is basically a doron lamb clone, could be there three years, while ulis is a 4 year guy. So that might not be an issue in the end for cal. That mathews kid is doomed though, should decommit and go to Illinois

Reaction Score
Briscoe is a legit top ten pick 1&done, he should go somewhere that offers maximum tick. if he goes to uk he in effect replaces either ulis or booker. he is way better than both. Booker is basically a doron lamb clone, could be there three years, while ulis is a 4 year guy. So that might not be an issue in the end for cal. That mathews kid is doomed though, should decommit and go to Illinois

I must say watching him he could turn out to be a very good college player even without that burst of speed and ultra athleticism. He just looks like he knows how to score the ball, but next level isn't happening for him after 1 year, at least I highly doubt it. I see him rather a 3-4 year guy who needs to work on his first step and quickness to be able to get to the basket at the highest level. You could be right James but I don't see it, not even in 2 years.

Reaction Score
Briscoe , your over rating him.heis by no means a one and done. Nice player but no where near a pro!!!

Reaction Score
I must say watching him he could turn out to be a very good college player even without that burst of speed and ultra athleticism. He just looks like he knows how to score the ball, but next level isn't happening for him after 1 year, at least I highly doubt it. I see him rather a 3-4 year guy who needs to work on his first step and quickness to be able to get to the basket at the highest level. You could be right James but I don't see it, not even in 2 years.
Think about him running pg though mau, he has all the goods to run point, more than newman at the moment. He plays very similar to his first cousin kyrie irving. playing as just a combo/ shooting guard i agree, he would need to follow more of the waiters path. but his impact will be visible from the jump. look out. Don't think we get him or newman though. As far as raw talent i'm eyeing stone, derrick jones, clarke, and mack as emergency. KO can wait for another talented guard in 2016

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Reaction Score
Think about him running pg though mau, he has all the goods to run point, more than newman at the moment. He plays very similar to his first cousin kyrie irving. playing as just a combo/ shooting guard i agree, he would need to follow more of the waiters path. but his impact will be visible from the jump. look out. Don't think we get him or newman though. As far as raw talent i'm eyeing stone, derrick jones, clarke, and mack as emergency. KO can wait for another talented guard in 2016

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Agree take him in a minute although a big or 2 is much more important......but I agree he's going to be a good college player just not ready for the NBA for a couple or few years. But he and Adams as additions to the backcourt would be really nice!;)

Reaction Score
I just don't get why these kids are infatuated with Calipari. Oh well, Ollie will continue to outcoach him and we will continue to kick his arse.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just don't get why these kids are infatuated with Calipari. Oh well, Ollie will continue to outcoach him and we will continue to kick his arse.

Kids are easily impressed.

Witness Dave Rice's recruiting success at UNLV.

The man can't coach and he just took another top-30 type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom