Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So he hasn't left early. That's a plus.
Most likely because Ollie wasn't even in CT today. He was at a coaches clinic in PA, Derrick Jones' HS, and must be coming back tonight. Final meeting to finish everything off.

caw

Reaction Score
I hope we told him the football program folded.

They have to recruit some depth at QB in the next year or so. The injuries have destroyed the team. Of course a good O-line is needed also.

Reaction Score
George Briscoe had one word to describe Isaiah's UK visit so far: "Wow."#NJhoops #BBN

That not good:)

Reaction Score
husky99 said:
George Briscoe had one word to describe Isaiah's UK visit so far: "Wow."#NJhoops #BBN That not good:)

I'd love to be a fly on the will so I could see what UK really has, says and does on these visits. What creates the "wow"? All I can think of is a really unique presentation or the player living facilities are just so outrageous comparatively. The new practice facility should be up to par with theirs.

Reaction Score
He is going to UK - no need to get worked up over the word game.

Reaction Score
After reading his father's excitement after having met with Calipari for 2 hours at home I'll have to agree. I mean the guy sounded like he was in love.

Reaction Score

I hope I am wrong because I like Briscoe game. But the word is his camp is pushing uk big time (heard it was a done deal) before the visit.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Gotta ask but how many people can UK bring in... sounds like they have a scholarship offer into 20 guys and they all can't play there. Someone is going to get left or some poor kid on the team is going to be kicked off for the next best guy.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Gotta ask but how many people can UK bring in... sounds like they have a scholarship offer into 20 guys and they all can't play there. Someone is going to get left or some poor kid on the team is going to be kicked off for the next best guy.

They only have 1 player on scholarship so far and probably will put a few kids in the upcoming draft. They have some space to work with.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'd love to be a fly on the will so I could see what UK really has, says and does on these visits. What creates the "wow"? All I can think of is a really unique presentation or the player living facilities are just so outrageous comparatively. The new practice facility should be up to par with theirs.
Interestingly Tubby Smith was ousted because he was unable to bring in the best recruits. Certainly Calipari is much better than Smith at being able to tell recruits what they want to hear vs. what they need to hear. But it still doesn't account for the separation between him and other "smooth" coaches with successful programs.

I accept that Kentucky has a winning tradition and recent success. And that John let's the kids showcase themselves and gets them into the NBA! But he isn't the only coach that has had this success. I begin to get suspicious when I observe a gap between the really great coaches. Tom Izzo for instance. He continues to get great recruits, but I just don't understand the degree of separation between his program and Kentucky and Arizona or even between him and Thad Matta!

One part of me weighs and puts merit to all the valid arguments supporting John Calipari's success. And one part of me is skeptical. He has the history behind him in which NCAA championships were taken away from the universities he coached. @upstater has demonstrated the ties in the past between members of the NCAA and the sleaze that exists in the recruiting world. Is it at play currently?

It's a murky world. I remember asking some buddies of mine in the 90's why was Walmart so good relative to Kmart. They stated what they read about Walmart's best attributes - better distribution centers, better stocking, better arrangement of the wares. Not being a shopper I decided to go into the stores myself and I observed basically the same items in both stores presented in a similar fashion. And then I noticed the real difference. That difference was where the items were being made for each store. Walmart was far ahead of the other retailers in having their items made in China. To me it was a no brainer. The primary factor in Walmart's success was that their goods cost them less and they were able to pass this savings onto the consumer. All the other explanations were covers to this fundamental underlying truth. Although this in not cheating, the point I'm making is something major causes imbalances and it isn't always the things that we see on the surface.

Reaction Score
Interestingly Tubby Smith was ousted because he was unable to bring in the best recruits. Certainly Calipari is much better than Smith at being able to tell recruits what they want to hear vs. what they need to hear. But it still doesn't account for the separation between him and other "smooth" coaches with successful programs.

I accept that Kentucky has a winning tradition and recent success. And that John let's the kids showcase themselves and gets them into the NBA! But he isn't the only coach that has had this success. I begin to get suspicious when I observe a gap between the really great coaches. Tom Izzo for instance. He continues to get great recruits, but I just don't understand the degree of separation between his program and Kentucky and Arizona or even between him and Thad Matta!

One part of me weighs and puts merit to all the valid arguments supporting John Calipari's success. And one part of me is skeptical. He has the history behind him in which NCAA championships were taken away from the universities he coached. @upstater has demonstrated the ties in the past between members of the NCAA and the sleaze that exists in the recruiting world. Is it at play currently?

It's a murky world. I remember asking some buddies of mine in the 90's why was Walmart so good relative to Kmart. They stated what they read about Walmart's best attributes - better distribution centers, better stocking, better arrangement of the wares. Not being a shopper I decided to go into the stores myself and I observed basically the same items in both stores presented in a similar fashion. And then I noticed the real difference. That difference was where the items were being made for each store. Walmart was far ahead of the other retailers in having their items made in China. To me it was a no brainer. The primary factor in Walmart's success was that their goods cost them less and they were able to pass this savings onto the consumer. All the other explanations were covers to this fundamental underlying truth. Although this in not cheating, the point I'm making is something major causes imbalances and it isn't always the things that we see on the surface.

Walmart is a retailer and therefore doesn't manufacture anything (except maybe store label stuff). It was their supply chain in addition to in store stocking and inventory management that set them apart. A stick of Old Spice deodorant sold in Wal Mart and K Mart was most likely manufactured in the same place. P & G doesn't make it in China for Wal Mart and Cincinatti for K Mart.

Overall a pretty strange analogy. KY is all about flash and wow factor. Wouldn't say the same about Wal Mart. ...

Reaction Score
Should Briscoe commit to KY, then Newman might just eliminate KY and it'll be down to us and Kansas.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Should Briscoe commit to KY, then Newman might just eliminate KY and it'll be down to us and Kansas.

UConn does not seem to be listed as a school being considered for Newman on most of the recruiting sites...makes you wonder if we are really a serious contender for him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Walmart is a retailer and therefore doesn't manufacture anything (except maybe store label stuff). It was their supply chain in addition to in store stocking and inventory management that set them apart. A stick of Old Spice deodorant sold in Wal Mart and K Mart was most likely manufactured in the same place. P & G doesn't make it in China for Wal Mart and Cincinatti for K Mart.

Overall a pretty strange analogy. KY is all about flash and wow factor. Wouldn't say the same about Wal Mart. ...
The analogy isn't perfect and I stated that. I also stated that both are retailers. What I observed was that the labels indicating where the various items were manufactured were different. This was at the time when Walmart was rapidly expanding stores nationally. At that time the origination of the suppliers for Walmart was primarily from China. The other retailers were still utilizing markets in which labor costs were greater. That was the primary economic advantage Wal Mart had over it's competitors, imo, although not the exclusive factor. Since that time other retailers have followed suit. But by then Wal Mart had catapulted itself into the lead. All the retailers continue to move to the cheapest labor markets for their suppliers pretty much in sync now. They've learned their lesson. But Walmart was the primary moving force in that particular drive to find the cheapest suppliers. I'll hand it to them. They had the guts to move to a 3rd world country, in which there were no guarantees of stability, to get their supplies. It could have backfired on them completely. That's about as far as my admiration goes for Wal Mart.

This is nothing new. Businesses always try to find an advantage over their competitors. I'm not implying that Wal Mart reinvented the wheel when it took advantage of the Chinese opportunity. What I'm stating is that the information we, who are not directly related to a particular matter, receive isn't always balanced and complete. There was no mention originally of the manufacturing advantage Wal Mart had over it's competitors. At least I didn't see any in Baron's or WSJ. That's a big oversight imo. It may sound like I'm bragging or arrogant or like Chief00, but I was ahead of the curve concerning the negative repercussions this advantage was going to bring to the U.S. I warned my friends that any advantages we as consumers would gain as a result of inexpensive items would ultimately result in disadvantages with our trade gap, never mind the labor consequences. We only had to go back to the 60's to observe our economic "fall" relative to Japan. Unfortunately I was too far ahead of the curve. The critical information wasn't discussed by the talking heads of the time. Furthermore there were enough important differences between the 90's and the 60's which gave ammo to anyone who wanted to refute the argument that this movement into China would result in similar negative consequences as took place in the 60s. And of course there was the seduction of cheap goods which was an inertia dampener to any of us attempting to begin any discussions regarding this issue.

How does all this relate to Kentucky? Some things are obvious, some are not. We all suspect Duke has a recruiting advantage. We all feel it even if it can't be quatified. Dukie V assured them of that. Having a significant media personality constantly extolling the virtues of one university and coach (which ends up being at the expense of all other coaches and institutions) is a valuable advantage for that coach when it comes to recruiting. That is obvious and visceral to many of us and the reason why so many fans of other schools love to hate Duke. The situation at Kentucky is more obtuse, more opaque. You have to read between the lines to be even suspicious because there are so many positive legitimate factors with Kentucky (Just as there were a multitude of factors that could be pointed to about Wal Mart that it was easy for us to overlook the salient anti U.S factor that lead to Wal Mart's success ).

All I'm doing is being suspicious. If it smells like a skunk and waddles like a skunk it could still be a mink. But then again it might very well be a skunk. If this was a critically important issue, such as the U.S. economy, I might continue to be vigilant about the situation. But alas this is just sports and KO has Calipari's number. So all is good.

Reaction Score
I am not really impressed with a camp that can be "WOW'd" that easily not already knowing the history surrounding UK and the new coach.

Sign already please if that's the case - NEXT

"Wow, my son can play here with this snake oil salesman and come in 2nd place again with all of this talent? I'm all in!" :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom