Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really doubt Kentucky gets Newman and Briscoe, and I think they will prioritize and land Newman. Where would that put Briscoe? Hopefully running into the arms of the program that just topped them in April.

Also, these kids aren't stupid. Briscoe knows why he wasn't offered I bet. But he's not going to tell an interviewer he's someone's second choice.
And he's keeping his options open by not burning bridges.

Reaction Score
“Like he said one day it was the twins, Dakari [Johnson], Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress. The other team was Tyler Ulis, Devin Booker, Marcus Lee, Karl Towns and Trey Lyles. That’s [nine] McDonald’s All-Americans battling against each other every day.

“You got [nine] McDonald’s All-Americans, even if you don’t play, that’s tough going against each other in practice.”

At the end of the day if we win, everybody’s going to reach their ultimate goal, which is to go to the NBA. So if I go to Kentucky with four other McDonald’s All-Americans, we all have egos but if we win, everybody has NBA, everybody is happy.”

Guess he doesn't watch TV, read or has short term memory loss cause...
Ahhhmmmmm Squid was so masterful leading his group of
McDonald’s All-Americans into the 2014 national championship game as an 8th seed then...

Oooops he got OUT COACHED AND LOST.....:eek:.......;)
Great coach :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is just talk. But I heard there is a chance he could cancel some/all visit except the uk trip. Heard cal pitched the hell out of him...

Reaction Score
I don't blame him if he goes to UK.
Quite frankly, the opportunity to carry the torch from Kemba/Bazz/RBoat is not for the weakling.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
“Like he said one day it was the twins, Dakari [Johnson], Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress."
Not one of those kids has seen their stock rise at UK. Most of them - especially the twins - have seen their stock drop. That fits the pattern with Cal the last couple of years:

2014: Randle was considered a potential No. 1 before UK; he went No. 7. Young a lottery pick; he went 17.
2013: Noel the No. 1 pick; he went 6th (extenuating circumstances here). Goodwin a lottery pick; he went 29.

Obviously in 2012 they had Davis & MKG at Nos. 1&2, but I'd argue that Jones, Teague and especially Lamb saw their stock go down at UK.

Bottom line with Cal: He only recruits guys who have surefire NBA futures. He doesn't really help them get there.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We need to put all efforts into landing kids that we actually have a chance with. Stop going after the hottest chick at the bar. The 3rd or 4th hottest chick might be better in bed anyway. Lets put all efforts into Clarke, jones, mack even sharma. I cant stand being in all these top 15 kids top 5 yet never landing any.

Reaction Score
We need a sg /second tall pg in either 2015 or 2016. Badly. Really doubt that its briscoe or newman though. For instance i just read an article on espn where malik was asked who is interested and uconn wasn't even listed.

Reaction Score
We need to put all efforts into landing kids that we actually have a chance with. Stop going after the hottest chick at the bar. The 3rd or 4th hottest chick might be better in bed anyway. Clarke, jones, mack even sharma. I cant stand being in all these kids top 5 yet never landing any.
how long has that been going on? KO just signed a legit top 25 player in Jalen Adams after prioritizing him. We have a legit shot with Stone. I think KO should be targeting the highest level of talent he can.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We need to put all efforts into landing kids that we actually have a chance with. Stop going after the hottest chick at the bar. The 3rd or 4th hottest chick might be better in bed anyway. Lets put all efforts into Clarke, jones, mack even sharma. I cant stand being in all these top 15 kids top 5 yet never landing any.

And how have you determined we have no chance with Stone?

pj

Reaction Score
We need a sg /second tall pg in either 2015 or 2016. Badly. Really doubt that its briscoe or newman though. For instance i just read an article on espn where malik was asked who is interested and uconn wasn't even listed.

Tyus Battle will be a huge priority in 2016. Regardless, we're likely to be one of the schools with open scholarships in the spring, and not everyone will go to Kentucky. We'll have a chance at a late decider.

Reaction Score
Davis would have gone #1 no matter where he played. MKG went to high, he's a bust so far.

Not one of those kids has seen their stock rise at UK. Most of them - especially the twins - have seen their stock drop. That fits the pattern with Cal the last couple of years:

2014: Randle was considered a potential No. 1 before UK; he went No. 7. Young a lottery pick; he went 17.
2013: Noel the No. 1 pick; he went 6th (extenuating circumstances here). Goodwin a lottery pick; he went 29.

Obviously in 2012 they had Davis & MKG at Nos. 1&2, but I'd argue that Jones, Teague and especially Lamb saw their stock go down at UK.

Bottom line with Cal: He only recruits guys who have surefire NBA futures. He doesn't really help them get there.

Reaction Score
When Jalen and Briscoe were available many of us said, the first one who selects UConn we would be ecstatic. I think now we are being greedy.

What I'm saying is we all may want him (including myself) but we really don't need him. T-Sam in 3 years will bring similar collegiate contributions as Isiah would in 3 years, if he were to be around for two years. Perhaps T-Sam is not NBA, but he will be an effective and productive college guard.

Reaction Score
James said:

I wouldn't say we need that badly in 2015, unless Purvis leaves after one year which I doubt (but you never know). Purvis, Samuel and Cassell will all be juniors in 2015-16 with a freshman Adams.

It's also debatable if we need that type of player at all. We didn't have one last year, and bigger guards were destroyed by our guys in the tourney. Doesn't mean being without a true 2 will always work (plus we had Kromah as an ace in the hole defensively if a big guard was giving us problems). I definitely think we need a great guard in 2016, but size isn't all that important. For example, if Waters was 2016 and we'd have a Waters-Adams backcourt at 5-11 and 6-1 for a couple years, I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat. If the best guard we get turns out to be someone like Briscoe or Battle with a little more size, that's great too, since those guys are studs. But I don't think we have to look at size as a factor - we've basically won titles with four small backcourts (if you consider Bazz-Kemba our backcourt in 2011 and Lamb the 3, which is really how we played most of the time even though Bazz didn't start).

A lot depends on how the pieces fit as well. Our backcourt needs with DHam at the 3 might be a lot different than with Jones or Clarke. Which can be a challenge when you don't know who's going to be there in two years - mid majors usually know they have their guys for four and Kentucky usually knows they have them for one. We can guess or try to recruit as if guys will be gone, but it can be hard to convince recruits of that (try to tell a 2-3 right now that Purvis and/or Hamilton will be gone when they arrive, and they can't really be sure of that).

pj

Reaction Score
If I could only have one of Briscoe in 2015 or Tyus Battle in 2016, I take Tyus Battle. With Sam Cassell, TSam, Jalen Adams, and possibly Purvis and others, we'll have the guard spots reasonably well covered in 2015-6.

But, if our measuring stick is Kentucky, Briscoe would be a sign that we are recruiting on their level. Having multiple elite players at a position would be a new experience for us. It might be a fun experience. I'd like to give it a try. That's not greed, just curiosity.

Reaction Score
The thing is i fully expect purvis leaving after 1 year.

If that happens, then you're right - another scorer in the backcourt becomes a concern sooner than 2016. We'll have to see how Purvis is looking by January or so to get a better feel for his potential of leaving. I said I doubt it as my best guess - only since he doesn't seem to project perfectly to an NBA position, which means he'd have to have a dominant season to jump, and I'm not expecting that since it's been three years since he was last in a position to be a go-to guy offensively. But if I'm wrong and he does have a dominant season, it would be great for our prospects next year - the flip side is that losing Boat and Purvis at once would be a lot to replace.

pj

Reaction Score
Briscoe and Newman probably don't decide until May by which time Purvis will have declared. So they'll know if there's time available for them.

Reaction Score
If that happens, then you're right - another scorer in the backcourt becomes a concern sooner than 2016. We'll have to see how Purvis is looking by January or so to get a better feel for his potential of leaving. I said I doubt it as my best guess - only since he doesn't seem to project perfectly to an NBA position, which means he'd have to have a dominant season to jump, and I'm not expecting that since it's been three years since he was last in a position to be a go-to guy offensively. But if I'm wrong and he does have a dominant season, it would be great for our prospects next year - the flip side is that losing Boat and Purvis at once would be a lot to replace.

youre right he doesn't really project to any position in the league, based off his recent career ( hs + nc state). If i put on my clairvoyance hat,i think he adds consistent jump shot and more ball handeling. he;ll be ask to run a ton of pick and rolls. as well as newly minted aggressiveness on defense i think ollie instills in him. he has all the tools to be like that. He also is high character. a mix between maybe courtney lee and iman shumpert.

He is the same age as gary harris, and i could see him being a more intriguing prospect by spring 2015 ( strength/jaw dropping athleticism) . How KO transforms purvis into something else will be a really telling sign to recruits.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
youre right he doesn't really project to any position in the league, based off his recent career ( hs + nc state). If i put on my clairvoyance hat,i think he adds consistent jump shot and more ball handeling. he;ll be ask to run a ton of pick and rolls. as well as newly minted aggressiveness on defense i think ollie instills in him. he has all the tools to be like that. He also is high character. a mix between maybe courtney lee and iman shumpert.

Being that this is the case, if he's jumping early, that means he's had a monster season....and that we've likely made a strong run in March. I'm great with this scenario.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If that happens, then you're right - another scorer in the backcourt becomes a concern sooner than 2016...
Maaaaybe. Cassell could end up being more of a 2 guard than a point, with TSam and Jalen being the pure PGs. And Hamilton could end up sliding over to the 2 if Omar is able to return to and exceed his freshman heights.

The truth is that with the way KO has recruited, retained and developed talent, we just don't have a ton of clear "needs." Even if we whiff on everyone else we're targeting for the 2015 class, we're still pretty much set for the next two years provided there's a good improvement curve from the guys currently on the roster.

Not saying I don't want Briscoe, Stone, Clarke, Jones, whoever... obviously the more the merrier. But we really are playing with house money at this point.

Reaction Score
Being that this is the case, if he's jumping early, that means he's had a monster season....and that we've likely made a strong run in March. I'm great with this scenario.
That's a great scenerio I hope for . But this brings me back to another thought , if brimah plays well vs okafor he could very well be lotto this year . If purvis shows just enough flashes, even without a deep run , he could be gone .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom