Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Zags Ollie will be paying a visit to him on Tuesday. Interesting since it sounded like a forgone conclusion that one of the NY/NJ schools would be his front runner and likely destination.

Ollie is sure getting out and bustin his hump when it comes to recruiting this 2015 class

Reaction Score
Per Zags Ollie will be paying a visit to him on Tuesday. Interesting since it sounded like a forgone conclusion that one of the NY/NJ schools would be his front runner and likely destination.

Ollie is sure getting out and bustin his hump when it comes to recruiting this 2015 class

Really this is his first solo class without Calhoun shadow

Reaction Score
Really this is his first solo class without Calhoun shadow
Kinda random, but I have a recruiting question and didn't want to start a whole another thread. What is the possibility Enoch is our only big man in this class, and instead we go Adams, Briscoe/Newman, Clarke/Jones/Mack, and Enoch? For the record I still like our chances with Stone but I was just wondering.

pj

Reaction Score
Kinda random, but I have a recruiting question and didn't want to start a whole another thread. What is the possibility Enoch is our only big man in this class, and instead we go Adams, Briscoe/Newman, Clarke/Jones/Mack, and Enoch? For the record I still like our chances with Stone but I was just wondering.

If we miss on Stone that looks like UConn's dream scenario.

Reaction Score

Funny you would say that because I would prefer that scenario. I just don't think big men are as valuable in today's collegiate game as they are in the NBA. As long as we can effectively protect the rim and rebound as a team we can win championships without a major post presence. The wide open style of the game now doesn't really lend itself bigs. Aside from the style of the game, the fact is that most highly touted bigs, like Stone, don't last long in college.

Ideally, I'll take JA, Briscoe, Clarke and Enoch. And that's mostly because I feel Newman and Jones are the most likely to leave earliest. I don't think a center, or even another big man is a necessity. If you add that group to whatever bigs return, which is likely all unless AB breaks out big, and I am hard pressed to find a weakness.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I want a good center.Last year, every game we looked horrible, was due to the lack of our front court. At this time we have some hopefuls with potential but no sure things. We adjusted beautifully in the NCAAs but I don't assume teams won't adjust to our adjustment .

Reaction Score
Worth noting that Antonio Blakeney de-committed from Louisville tonight after a long 11 day commitment. Kentucky is likely to be back in on him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Worth noting that Antonio Blakeney de-committed from Louisville tonight after a long 11 day commitment. Kentucky is likely to be back in on him.

Blakeney is going to Kentucky.

Nike was never going to let him go to an adidas school.

Reaction Score
Yes Blakeney is going to Kentucky and this is what sucks about recruiting. Look for Louisville to try and get back in with Briscoe and the other guard they were recruiting before the Blakeney commit.

Reaction Score
I want a good center.Last year, every game we looked horrible, was due to the lack of our front court. At this time we have some hopefuls with potential but no sure things. We adjusted beautifully in the NCAAs but I don't assume teams won't adjust to our adjustment .

I'd make the argument that Boat and DD's inability to be consistent 2nd and 3rd scoring options next to Bazz were far bigger issues during the regular season than the frontcourt. Nolan and Brimah really weren't any different than they were in the regular season once the postseason hit, but DD & Boat stepping up their play, the amped up D, and Bazz playing at his usual high level against HM teams were the biggest difference makers in making the team damn near unbeatable. I want a ready made big as well, but if we had to choose give me a stacked lineup of perimeter players who can create their own offense and make shots.

Reaction Score
I'd make the argument that Boat and DD's inability to be consistent 2nd and 3rd scoring options next to Bazz were far bigger issues during the regular season than the frontcourt. Nolan and Brimah really weren't any different than they were in the regular season once the postseason hit, but DD & Boat stepping up their play, the amped up D, and Bazz playing at his usual high level against HM teams were the biggest difference makers in making the team damn near unbeatable. I want a ready made big as well, but if we had to choose give me a stacked lineup of perimeter players who can create their own offense and make shots.

True and I tend to agree, but u can't win too many games against great teams getting 0 pts and 5 boards from your 2 centers plus the number of fouls they picked up.

Reaction Score
True and I tend to agree, but u can't win too many games against great teams getting 0 pts and 5 boards from your 2 centers plus the number of fouls they picked up.

Definitely agree about the lack of production and it being an obstacle to overcome, but when it came to our losses or when the team looked sluggish against inferior teams, I never looked to Nolan and Brimah's inexperience as the primary problem, they played how I expected. My frustration was more geared towards why can't Boat get more than 10 pts and shoot at least 40% against a HM opponent, or why has DD completely disappeared. UConn is never in the game to force OT against St Joes unless Boat and DD stepped up to help offset a subpar Bazz, that really didn't happen during the regular season. I think Brimah will be rectifying the C situation soon anyway tho, I know we've heard the preseason hype jobs before and it ultimately lead to nothing but this just feels different with him.

Reaction Score

I agree, you need production from your bigs. ESPECIALLY on the boards. 5 rebounds will never win us a game; bigs MUST rebound and protect the rim. But honestly, who was the national championship winning team that you can remember who's main offensive options were in their frontcourt? We don't need anything more than garbage points from these guys; easy buckets set up by the guards, put backs, etc. Today's game is a guards game, more specifically a point guards game. And more importantly guards win in March. The idea that we "need" Stone, or any other big is a stretch.

I would love to have a deep group of capable bigs; AB, Nolan, Facey, Lubin, Enoch. For me that's more than enough, it's far more then we've had when we won our last two NCs. These are all bigs who can score without running a single play for them and that is what I think is the most important factor. Because running plays that have bigs setting up in the post gets in the way of our guards ability to create.

Reaction Score

Could not agree more, Daniels and Boat were completely different players in the tournament. It's why I am so excited for Boat this season; if he comes out with that intensity and drive it will be a special season for him and the team.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying but to expect DD and Boat to play every night like they did in the tourney and for other teams not to make adjustments, seems like too much.
Plus we have no DD so we will step backward at the 4 this year.
I remember several games where we clearly got beat up because because of no rebounding/points in the paint. We had people unable to score garbage points. We also had several games where we lost because DD (and maybe Boat) disappeared.

Plus I think our center position and grunt PF were much better in 2011 than 2014. Just want to improve our biggest weakness.

Reaction Score
But honestly, who was the national championship winning team that you can remember who's main offensive options were in their frontcourt? We don't need anything more than garbage points from these guys; easy buckets set up by the guards, put backs, etc. Today's game is a guards game, more specifically a point guards game. And more importantly guards win in March. The idea that we "need" Stone, or any other big is a stretch.
Hmmm... Meka and 2004 Title Team?

2012 Kentucky Team?

However, I agree that NCAAT is more and more guard-oriented now, and the chances that you win with good guards' play are far better than with even the outstanding front court players.

But there are always exceptions to the norm.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hmmm... Meka and 2004 Title Team?

2012 Kentucky Team?

However, I agree that NCAAT is more and more guard-oriented now, and the chances that you win with good guards' play are far better than with even the outstanding front court players.

But there are always exceptions to the norm.
Although people bring this up a lot about the 04' team, Ben Gordon was equally as dominant and was viewed as the 1st option on offense. One of the only times I saw us continuously feed Okafor was against Duke late in the game when we went to him 2-3 possessions in a row. Okafor had a great back to the basket/low-post game, but Gordon was easily more reliable to score 25 on any given night. And that usually happened.

I agree with you though, frontcourts help win championships. But it changes from team to team based off their needs.

Reaction Score
So, I'm gonna leave all the backcourt/frontcourt stuff alone and get back to the threads actual topic. Isiah Briscoe.

In a recent article on zagsblog, Eli Cain had this to say about playing with Briscoe this summer with the NJ Playaz; "It was really like family to me, I think that's what got us over the hump. Playing with Isiah, he just forces everybody to play hard, every play, we just feed off his energy."

The more I learn the more I want him.

Reaction Score
Although people bring this up a lot about the 04' team, Ben Gordon was equally as dominant and was viewed as the 1st option on offense. One of the only times I saw us continuously feed Okafor was against Duke late in the game when we went to him 2-3 possessions in a row. Okafor had a great back to the basket/low-post game, but Gordon was easily more reliable to score 25 on any given night. And that usually happened.

I agree with you though, frontcourts help win championships. But it changes from team to team based off their needs.

In the games in which both players played, Okafor led the team or tied for the scoring lead 20 times, while Gordon did the same 16 times. If you didn't see us feeding Okafor consistently that year, then I don't know what you were watching.

Reaction Score
“@jerrymeyer247: Hearing that Antonio Blakeney and Isaiah Briscoe to Missouri not that far fetched.”

Reaction Score
“@jerrymeyer247: Hearing that Antonio Blakeney and Isaiah Briscoe to Missouri not that far fetched.”

Right, cuz all those other package deals are really materializing :rolleyes:

Note: Not attacking you, tcf. love your work

Reaction Score
Right, cuz all those other package deals are really materializing

I think it's just meant to say that they both could land at Mizzou; nothing about a package deal. The difference is when a kid says you can't have one without the other (or vice-versa). This would just be two kids who go to the same school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom