Is UConn's Defense Under Rated? | The Boneyard

Is UConn's Defense Under Rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Age old debate, and as far as Uconn is concerned I don't think it is underrated - defense may not get mentioned as often as offense in general, but when people talk about Uconn, it is always included in numerous ways - they don't foul, they disrupt what you want to do, they turn defense into offense, etc.

On the debate between Stewart and Moriah - they are both fabulous - Stewart (and the rest of the team) allow Moriah and Gabby to gamble more with fewer bad consequences. But Moriah's incredible on ball pressure allows Stewart and the rest of the team to come up with more steals because the passes being made are worse and from further away allowing for easier steals.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes. Defense is under rated not just UCONN's defense.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sure it is................Until you have to play against it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah, the question is - by whom? I've always felt that it is UConn's defense that makes them dominant.

I don't have the stats handy because WBBState is down, but usually UConn is #1 in the nation in offense (in terms of points per possession) by a decent margin but #1 in defense by a MASSIVE margin.

Good piece, though, with some nice clips to show Jefferson and Stewart's disruptive defensive ability.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah, the question is - by whom? I've always felt that it is UConn's defense that makes them dominant.

I don't have the stats handy because WBBState is down, but usually UConn is #1 in the nation in offense (in terms of points per possession) by a decent margin but #1 in defense by a MASSIVE margin.

Good piece, though, with some nice clips to show Jefferson and Stewart's disruptive defensive ability.
The NCAA stats page has Uconn #1 in points allowed at 47.9, followed by a bunch of mid-majors - the first two P5 teams are Oregon State #8 at 51.3 and #15 Baylor at 53.1. Baylor is significant because they are #2 in scoring margin at 24.6 trailing only Uconn's 39.7 - that is significant because most of the teams that have good scoring defenses, do so by limiting total possessions in the game - hence all the mid-major teams. Baylor is scoring a lot of points and holding opponents to low scores similar to what Uconn does.
Uconn is also #1 in Scoring offense and field goal percentage at 87.6 and 52.5%
For the first time in a number of years Uconn does not lead in field goal percentage defense - Oregon State does at 32.0 - Stanford is #2 at 32.6 with Baylor #3 and Uconn #4 both at 33.0

Uconn's three point field goal defense is way down the list hurt in part by having played four of the top 15 best three point shooting teams early in the year.

Other Uconn stats:
#1 A/TO - 1.82
#1 Asst/Gm - 21.6
#2 Blocks/Gm - 6.4 (Chattanooga - 6.5)
#1 Fouls/Gm - 11.3
#1 FT % - 79.6
#8 Rebound Marg - 11.3 (Maryland 15.5)
#5 Steals/Gm - 12.2 (Sacramento State 15.1)
#3 Turnover Marg - 9.31 (Syracuse 10.41)
#8 Turnovers/Gm - 11.9 (Villanova 7.8)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The last time I saw that kind of suffocating defense (UConn v. USF) was in Super Bowl 46 when the NY Giants beat the Patriots and Tom Brady 21-17. Brady spent more time on his back than on his feet in that game. The Giants defense was relentless that day.
As another poster suggested, the best way to understand just how good UConn's defense is, is to ask players from other teams that have played against UConn. You can start with Courtney Williams (USF).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom