Is there anyone who can beat UCONN? Kara Lawson sez... | The Boneyard

Is there anyone who can beat UCONN? Kara Lawson sez...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
if UConn plays their game. If UConn has a game like the Warriors did against the Lakers a couple weeks ago, they will lose.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Considering how the Huskys beat her UT team over the years she has become very appreciative of Geno and UConn. She's talked about Geno and her tryouts for the USA team, what a great teacher he is and how she's a fan of the Husky style of BB. Now let's compare her to Carolyn Peck and her shill work.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
When you think about it, and it applies to both Kara and Rebecca, considering all the WCBB and WNBA stars who have made cameo appearances on ESPN and other sports networks as commentators on the sport, those two individuals have stood the test of time and have outshone their peers, to the point that they are now THE recognized "expert commentators" on WBB. They have higher stature, and their commentary carries more weight, than any other former players.

It's easy to see why -- they are articulate, likeable, attractive, universally respected by players and coaches, and very insightful in what they say. They are also objective, a fact which is recognized by UConn people in the case of Kara and by Tennessee people in the case of Rebecca. Very rarely (if ever) are they accused of being "homers" for their alma mater.

That is as big an achievement, and as great a distinction, as anything that either of them accomplished on the basketball court as players.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Considering how the Huskys beat her UT team over the years she has become very appreciative of Geno and UConn. She's talked about Geno and her tryouts for the USA team, what a great teacher he is and how she's a fan of the Husky style of BB. Now let's compare her to Carolyn Peck and her shill work.
And by playing in Connecticut for several years, she probably came to realize the people who live there are not ogres and communists (well, most).

Reaction Score
No single team would be the favorite in the UConn matchup. But the combined field (all the teams in UConn's road, both the highly ranked teams and perhaps a fearless upstart or two) has a chance. Someone just might pull off an amazing performance on the same day that UConn doesn't pull off a good performance.

A bit like Serena Williams losing a stunner at the US Open last year. I will be rooting for UConn to not pull a Serena. :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No single team would be the favorite in the UConn matchup. But the combined field (all the teams in UConn's road, both the highly ranked teams and perhaps a fearless upstart or two) has a chance. Someone just might pull off an amazing performance on the same day that UConn doesn't pull off a good performance.

A bit like Serena Williams losing a stunner at the US Open last year. I will be rooting for UConn to not pull a Serena. :D

I'm a visionary, not a betting man.........BUT, at this point in the season, and at this point their career, I honestly don't think the BIG 3 re going to get this close (6 games away), and not grab the brass ring (the championship). They've seen the 3 classes before them go out the right way. The same way THEY want to leave. They won't have to do it alone. It will be a team effort. I'm going to do a "Jim Fassel".
I'm going to shove ALL of my chips to the center of the poker table. I'm all in. MY $$$ is on the huskies. Even President Obama finally wised up. He also chose the Huskies to win it all in his bracket.

They've been to this rodeo before. Same scenario, same players, same stakes on the line. The pressure is not on UConn. They're already at the top of the mountain. They're in the Cat Bird seat. They're the rooster in the hen house. The pressure is on the other teams. The question is can the other teams get to the place where UConn is, attain and sustain the level of play it would take to beat UConn for 40 minutes. THAT"S the rub.
EVERYBODY knows what its going to take to beat the huskies. Lately, no team has been able to reach that milestone. Geno said it last year, and it's still applicable and current THIS year. "If we bring our A game,
nobody is going to beat us

The interesting thing about that statement is coaches, players and fans all know that is a true statement. Its not hyperbole, Its not coach speak. It's not trash talk. Its the truth!! UConn's play the last 3 years in NCAA tournament play has backed that up. Remember Nolan Richardson's (Arkansas Razorback head coach 1985–2002) 40 minutes of hell? That what the teams that play UConn will face the next 3 weekends.
A relentless barrage and running, gunning, passing and 3 point shots while on offense, and a steady barrage of "in your face" defense for 40 minutes trying to turn you over with out any let up.
A defense the likes of which some of them have not experienced. The last two years, 1 team during the tournament gave UConn a game. Last year it was Dayton, The year before that is was BYU. Who will it be this year?

Someone once said that "its one thing to see UConn on TV, its another thing to see them in person (if you've never played them before). They're much taller and faster in person. You can't replicate their team speed in your practices. It's like doing 85 (in a max zone of 70) on a highway, and passing a cop that's hiding on the side of the road pointing his radar gun at you. By the time you see him, its too late. He's GOTCHA!! :eek:

I'm really going to enjoy these next 3 weeks of WCBB. If you're a basketball fan, this is nirvana. I love it!!! Enjoy the games everybody. Go Huskies. :D

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm a visionary, not a betting man....BUT, at this point in the season, and at this point their career, I honestly don't think the BIG 3 re going to get this close (6 games away), and not grab the brass ring (the championship). They've seen the 3 classes before them go out the right way. The same way THEY want to leave. They won't have to do it alone. It will be a team effort. I'm going to do a "Jim Fassel".
I'm going to shove ALL of my chips to the center of the poker table. I'm all in. MY $$$ is on the huskies. Even President Obama finally wised up. He also chose the Huskies to win it all in his bracket.

They've been to this rodeo before. Same scenario, same players, same stakes on the line. The pressure is not on UConn. They're already at the top of the mountain. They're in the Cat Bird seat. They're the rooster in the hen house. The pressure is on the other teams. The question is can the other teams get to the place where UConn is, attain and sustain the level of play it would take to beat UConn for 40 minutes. THAT"S the rub.
EVERYBODY knows what its going to take to beat the huskies. Lately, no team has been able to reach that milestone. Geno said it last year, and it's still applicable and current THIS year. "If we bring our A game,
nobody is going to beat us

The interesting thing about that statement is coaches, players and fans all know that is a true statement. Its not hyperbole, Its not coach speak. It's not trash talk. Its the truth!! UConn's play the last 3 years in NCAA tournament play has backed that up. Remember Nolan Richardson's (Arkansas Razorback head coach 1985–2002) 40 minutes of hell? That what the teams that play UConn will face the next 3 weekends.
A relentless barrage and running, gunning, passing and 3 point shots while on offense, and a steady barrage of "in your face" defense for 40 minutes trying to turn you over with out any let up.
A defense the likes of which some of them have not experienced. The last two years, 1 team during the tournament gave UConn a game. Last year it was Dayton, The year before that is was BYU. Who will it be this year?

Someone once said that "its one thing to see UConn on TV, its another thing to see them in person (if you've never played them before). They're much taller and faster in person. You can't replicate their team speed in your practices. It's like doing 85 (in a max zone of 70) on a highway, and passing a cop that's hiding on the side of the road pointing his radar gun at you. By the time you see him, its too late. He's GOTCHA!! :eek:

I'm really going to enjoy these next 3 weeks of WCBB. If you're a basketball fan, this is nirvana. I love it!!! Enjoy the games everybody. Go Huskies. :D
As Lionel Ellis said in his commentary during UConn vs St. Francis last year. "I've seen them on television, but they're a different beast in person". Doris Burke said during her commentary last year during UConn vs Texas, "Twice in the LAST 20 YEARS teams that have faced UConn for the first time only twice have they beaten them". Actually Geno said teams that face us feel they only have a chance if they perform over their heads and UConn has an off night. "While my girls feel if we bring our A game you got NO chance". Baylor beware. Maryland, ND, beware. Your doors are already partway off their hinges.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As Lionel Ellis said in his commentary during UConn vs St. Francis last year. "I've seen them on television, but they're a different beast in person". Doris Burke said during her commentary last year during UConn vs Texas, "Twice in the LAST 20 YEARS teams that have faced UConn for the first time only twice have they beaten them". Actually Geno said teams that face us feel they only have a chance if they perform over their heads and UConn has an off night. "While my girls feel if we bring our A game you got NO chance". Baylor beware. Maryland, ND, beware. Your doors are already partway off their hinges.

JordyG, It sounds to me like you're doing a little prognosticating yourself. It sounds like you see some doors being blown off in the near future. :D

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Rebecca actually tones it down a lot when it comes to UCONN.. She's kind of a homer on Twitter (which is fine, Twitter is personal but public.. it's own entity really).. but on TV, she's always very "even" when it comes to UCONN.

You wouldn't know she went there or played for Geno in my opinion.. I respect that about her. She gives really good UCONN analysis without being a homer.

JordyG

Reaction Score
JordyG, It sounds to me like you're doing a little prognosticating yourself. It sounds like you see some doors being blown off in the near future. :D
I'll leave the soothsaying to you. You've proven better at it than I. Yet when the truth comes knocking the lies lay about.

Reaction Score

An earlier link gave a number to the combined field's chances of beating UConn: 30%! Amazing, but high enough to make make me hesitate putting down my $900 in hopes of winning $100.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nate Silver's group gives is a 70-30 chance, but Vegas puts the odds at about 85-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom