Is the NCAA (finally) fighting back against the NBA 1 and done rule? | The Boneyard

Is the NCAA (finally) fighting back against the NBA 1 and done rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hadn't been following this but just ran across a reference to a change in the NCAA's freshman eligibility rules beginning in 2016. there are a number of changes, but most significant are an increase in the minimum number of core courses, a requirement that 70% be completed before the final year of a player's high school career, and a pretty signifcant increase in SAT Scores. One impact is that players in high school now really have to start working to meet the new standards, because if you fall behind on your core courses now, there is little chance to catch up your senior year. Currently a student who has a 2.0 GPA in high school must have a combined 1010 SAT score. In 2016 the minimum SAT goes to 1080 and the minimum GPA is 2.3. they do create a new "academic redshirt" catagory for kids in the 2.0/1010 range, but those players have to sit out a year, though they can recieve scholarships for that year. Apparently some people see this as a fairly major change that will, at least initially, produce a fairly large number of non-qualifiers. How will some schools deal with this? What does the NBA do if a couple of potential stars don't meet the standards, and only make the "redshirt" eligibility?

D

Deleted member 3149

By combined SAT score do you mean all 3 sections? Or math and verbal?

Reaction Score
It is combined math and verbal (the original two sections). The writing section will not come into play.

Reaction Score
By combined SAT score do you mean all 3 sections? Or math and verbal?
Math and Verbal. The NCAA doesn't include the writing SAT. this isn't entirely about the NBA draft, of course. Some of it is just part of the movement to make student-athletes actual students. But i think that is at least a part of the motivation. Make coaches decide: A. is it worth spending a scholarship on a kid who can't play right away; and B. Is it worth risking one on a kid who may never play. It also puts some additional pressure on high school athletes to actually perform in the classroom. One piece I read suggested that the requirement that 10 of the core credits (its actually 10/16 or 62.5%. I used the old number of 14 credits when I wrote my original post) be completed by the end of the junior year would be a significant factor. Apparently a fairly large number of kids don't meet that, especially in their first two years, when they take lots of non-qualifing courses, and don't necessarily perform well. Once they draw college interest, they then load up later. Can't do that any more. Have to take and pass courses right along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom