Is something about to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
tl4ed4437a.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
The state announces $1.55 billion commitment to UConn's research partnership.

There's a rumor of a settlement in the Maryland litigation.

Now, UConn settles a highly questionable Federal Civil Rights case for what seems to be far too much money given the allegations (although I defer to the legal brain trust on the board as to whether this is "right number" or not.)

All of this coming at the time when UConn would need to give its 27 month notice in order to be eligible to join the B1G in time for the start of the B1G's new TV deal.

Coincidence or is someone trying to get our ducks in a row for a move?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
tl4ed4437a.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
The state announces over a billion dollar commitment to UConn's research partnership.

There's a rumor of a settlement in the Maryland litigation.

Now, UConn settles a highly questionable Federal Civil Rights case for what seems to be far too much money given the allegations (although I defer to the legal brain trust on the board as to whether this is "right number" or not.)

All of this coming at time when UConn would need to give its 27 month notice in order to be eligible to join the B1G in time for the start of the B1G's new TV deal.

Coincidence or is someone trying to get our ducks in a row for a move?
Is your name Lucy? I guess the rest of us are Charlie Brown.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I sense a disturbance in the force.

Reaction Score
Reports are 31 million settlement. Trying to find source

Reaction Score
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/agreement_08-08-14_lryjmo

>>Maryland has agreed that the ACC will keep the sum of $31,361,788 previously withheld in order to resolve the lawsuits, and the ACC has agreed that Maryland will have no obligation to make any other payments to the ACC. In addition, the lawsuits filed in the State of North Carolina and Maryland will be dismissed.<<

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Now when is the vote on the division requirement for Conf champ games?

Reaction Score
Reports are 31 million settlement. Trying to find source

I have heard the same figure of $31mil a few times lately, and again today. My understanding is this is equal to the amount the ACC has withheld from Maryland.

Personally, I see this as a victory for the ACC and acceptable solution for Maryland. Maryland saves $20mil, while the ACC holds relatively firm in collecting $31mil (largest exit fee to date). Additionally, the ACC and Maryland (and maybe some B1G schools) get to cut the losses of an expensive court battle and keep embarrassing private information from going public during discovery and trial.

Reaction Score
Big win for UMD. Didn't have to pay a dime past what was held after announcing they were leaving. Next team that leaves the ACC should keep it a secret until the day it happens. Like when the Colts left Baltimore in the dead of night and woke up in Indianapolis. lol

Reaction Score
I have heard the same figure of $31mil a few times lately, and again today. My understanding is this is equal to the amount the ACC has withheld from Maryland.

Personally, I see this as a victory for the ACC and acceptable solution for Maryland. Maryland saves $20mil, while the ACC holds relatively firm in collecting $31mil (largest exit fee to date). Additionally, the ACC and Maryland (and maybe some B1G schools) get to cut the losses of an expensive court battle and keep embarrassing private information from going public during discovery and trial.

This is a big win for the ACC????? You must be joking.

All the ACC clowns who have come to the BY for the last couple years have told us about how solid the $52MM was & that the ACC wouldn't settle for a penny less. This is also the ACC getting out from having to disclose confidential info during any trial. UMD had nothing to hide. They made a choice to leave a conference for a better one that pays twice as much.

Good thing I have stimpy on ignore so I won't have to read his spin

Reaction Score
This is one ACCer who doesn't think that we need the full $52 million. It was just a position to show that we weren't going to fold, like those WVU bloggers thought we would. Look at how easy the B12 folded when Mizzou, A&M and Nebraska left. They settled for much less than they wanted because the language in the contract was easily exploited by their sharp lawyers.

I wish we didn't have to go down that legal road but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
This is a big win for the ACC????? You must be joking.

All the ACC clowns who have come to the BY for the last couple years have told us about how solid the $52MM was & that the ACC wouldn't settle for a penny less. This is also the ACC getting out from having to disclose confidential info during any trial. UMD had nothing to hide. They made a choice to leave a conference for a better one that pays twice as much.

Good thing I have stimpy on ignore so I won't have to read his spin
Except MD said they owed only $17 million. So the ACC gets basically the split between the 2 numbers. GOR is not under review and for all intents it remains a valid mechanism to hold the teams. ACC gets 59% of what it was looking for and MD has to almost double what it thought it owed. Tilts a little more to the ACC than MD. MD had to settle or else it risked having none of its home games on TV because of GOR. IF I'm the ACC, I feel okay about this today.

Reaction Score
Except MD said they owed only $17 million. So the ACC gets basically the split between the 2 numbers. GOR is not under review and for all intents it remains a valid mechanism to hold the teams. ACC gets 59% of what it was looking for and MD has to almost double what it thought it owed. Tilts a little more to the ACC than MD. MD had to settle or else it risked having none of its home games on TV because of GOR. IF I'm the ACC, I feel okay about this today.

This had nothing to do with the GOR. That agreement was signed after UMD announced it was leaving so there was never a risk that their games would not be on TV

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

UMD never signed the GOR. They were never in risk of losing home games.

Reaction Score
I dont know crap about this stuff but to me anyone who thinks the ACC got the better of the deal isn't looking at the big picture. Long term, MD wins.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I dont know crap about this stuff but to me anyone who thinks the ACC got the better of the deal isn't looking at the big picture. Long term, MD wins.

Neither got the good end. The ACC's stance was they were going to trial as to get the full amount. UMD's position was they were going to get money from The ACC. They all paid massive amounts in lawyer fees and basically just treaded water for something the could have finalized much earlier. They both looked like petulant children in this issue.

As a Michigan fan, I'm just happy it's over.

Reaction Score

Agreed. The B1G wins as well. Maryland came out even better because the B1G is paying UMD $20 million one time only as a "travel subsidy" which is just a cover up to pay down on the ACC Exit Fee (which was $20 million at the time). So essentially, Maryland joins the B1G at a cost of $11 million to the school. They will make $40-$45 million per year in the very near future for a total cost of $11 million (plus whatever legal fees they had).

The B1G wins because it has gained access to the DC-Baltimore-NOVA market which means big $ for TV and allowing top recruits in that area to grow up as part of the B1G footprint. The cost to the B1G? $20 million dollars for the "travel subsidy" which divided by the 12 members at the time equals a one time fee of $1.6 million per team. Talk about a huge return on investment!!!

Reaction Score
Surely, Maryland believes that they're getting a good deal for the long term or they wouldn't have switched. The problem is that both UMD and RU are viewed as outsiders by the fanbase in the core areas of the B1G. Even State Penn wasn't warmly received at first when they joined in 1990. Nebraska is a different story, because of where it's located and also a historical power. This has nothing to do with their qualifications as institutions or their sports programs but regional biases. Of course, every large conference has these issues.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Surely, Maryland believes that they're getting a good deal for the long term or they wouldn't have switched. The problem is that both UMD and RU are viewed as outsiders by the fanbase in the core areas of the B1G. Even State Penn wasn't warmly received at first when they joined in 1990. Nebraska is a different story, because of where it's located and also a historical power. This has nothing to do with their qualifications as institutions or their sports programs but regional biases. Of course, every large conference has these issues.

Then why say this? There are those in the ACC, especially the southern faction, that still don't want BC, 'Cuse, and Pitt and would rather leave them behind.

Delany has stated that The Big10 screwed up in how they incorporated PSU. They just added them. UNL was brought in with fanfare and they were playing the big boys right from the start. Same with Rutgers and UMD. They were put in a division with 4 of the 6 current heavyweights who would bring sell out crowds to those stadiums and create a buzz in the respected areas. They each had celebrations on their respective campuses and they each had a welcome event on The BTN.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
When I first read this thread I, as always, felt twinges of optimism that Conspiracy Kitty was on to something. After hearing about the MD/ACC resolution, I think C.K. might be eating expired cans of food. I am once again bummed out about our situation.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
When I first read this thread I, as always, felt twinges of optimism that Conspiracy Kitty was on to something. After hearing about the MD/ACC resolution, I think C.K. might be eating expired cans of food. I am once again bummed out about our situation.
tl4ed4437a.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Have faith.

The settlement in the Maryland litigation is now confirmed.

There is a new rumor on possible AAU admissions and a new possible partner to join the B1G with UConn.

The pieces are all coming together.
[Purrs contentedly]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members