Interesting! Wisconsin and UCONN | The Boneyard

Interesting! Wisconsin and UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember this is in addition to the Universitas 21 membership, which includes only three U.S. members: UConn, Maryland and Ohio State.

See: http://www.universitas21.com/member

While this strategic partnering certainly isn't being done because of athletics, the potential ramifications include Big Ten membership as a byproduct. I've always said that UConn has a solid shot at No. 15 or 16 if things break correctly. That UConn is now aligning academically with so many Big Ten institutions bodes really well for its athletic future.

Reaction Score
Remember this is in addition to the Universitas 21 membership, which includes only three U.S. members: UConn, Maryland and Ohio State.

See: http://www.universitas21.com/member

While this strategic partnering certainly isn't being done because of athletics, the potential ramifications include Big Ten membership as a byproduct. I've always said that UConn has a solid shot at No. 15 or 16 if things break correctly. That UConn is now aligning academically with so many Big Ten institutions bodes really well for its athletic future.
IMHO Herbst viewed UCONN as a diamond in the rough land grant university, that has always been backed to the hilt by the state. You can see her hard work paying off in the things she is getting done. She has also said it many times before..athletics is the front porch to the school..it get's the name out there.

Reaction Score
IMHO Herbst viewed UCONN as a diamond in the rough land grant university, that has always been backed to the hilt by the state. You can see her hard work paying off in the things she is getting done. She has also said it many times before..athletics is the front porch to the school..it get's the name out there.

We are INCREDIBLY lucky to have Herbst at the helm and, aside from the current conference situation, I couldn't be happier with what she has done for the university thus far. If only we had pulled her in around 2004....

Reaction Score
If you could take a time machine and go back to 2004 taking Herbst and Manuel things would be definitely different IMHO. I still think it was wrong to just "consult" her in the Pasqualoni hire. She was given the job and was finishing out her time at her previous employer...she should have had 100% input on that hire, like she has had with every coaching hire since.

Reaction Score
The major strides UCONN has made in recent years in investment, research, academic reputation, campus, it all makes the football investment decision 15 years ago look like chump change.

Reaction Score
I still think it was wrong to just "consult" Herbst in the Pasqualoni hire. She should have had 100% input on that hire, like she has had with every coaching hire since.

While I want Herbst involved in every decision that impacts UConn's moving forward, it would have been presumptuous for her to veto a hire made while the ink was still drying on her contract. Had she been here for 6 months and had a better chance to survey the landscape, then yes. It didn't take her long to sack the Provost and Hathaway, but she still waited on both for enough time to elapse to lend credibility to the moves.

Reaction Score

Everything about what UConn is doing right now, academically, athletically, etc., has Big Ten posturing written all over it. The university has been aligning itself both in terms of scheduling and collaboration/coordination with B1G member schools.

It's getting close to a situation where perhaps UConn's biggest obstacle to membership won't be its own qualifications, but waiting for an ACC or Big 12 school to shake free.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering if Delany and company don't want to trigger then next set of moves; but will be happy to play along once it starts.

So... Yeah, who shakes free first?

Reaction Score
While I want Herbst involved in every decision that impacts UConn's moving forward, it would have been presumptuous for her to veto a hire made while the ink was still drying on her contract. Had she been here for 6 months and had a better chance to survey the landscape, then yes. It didn't take her long to sack the Provost and Hathaway, but she still waited on both for enough time to elapse to lend credibility to the moves.
Very true Nos....

Reaction Score
Everything about what UConn is doing right now, academically, athletically, etc., has Big Ten posturing written all over it. The university has been aligning itself both in terms of scheduling and collaboration/coordination with B1G member schools.

It's getting close to a situation where perhaps UConn's biggest obstacle to membership won't be its own qualifications, but waiting for an ACC or Big 12 school to shake free.
6-7 wins by the football team this year and 8-10 next year would be the final missing piece to the resume boost

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with most of this but I do question the statement "has always been backed to the hilt by the state". Prior to Ella Grasso's efforts as governor, we were as underfunded as most northeast public schools and a lot of what she did just brought us to what the Universities of New Hampshire and Vermont were getting from their respective states. It wasn't until two decades later that state funding and support reached a "to the hilt" level. Yes, there has always been a fan base for athletic programs (especially men's hoops) exceeding what reasonably should have been expected but the state legislature did little for the school for its first 95 years.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this but I do question the statement "has always been backed to the hilt by the state". Prior to Ella Grasso's efforts as governor, we were as underfunded as most northeast public schools and a lot of what she did just brought us to what the Universities of New Hampshire and Vermont were getting from their respective states. It wasn't until two decades later that state funding and support reached a "to the hilt" level. Yes, there has always been a fan base for athletic programs (especially men's hoops) exceeding what reasonably should have been expected but the state legislature did little for the school for its first 95 years.
I should have added recently to that statement....thanks Tom...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I just got back from an alumni association event where SH and Newton spoke. She said that Malloy has been a big proponent for university research and IP development as a driver for economic growth, even before he was governor and she was president... and said that support from the State is higher than the norm at 26%. But she was also adamant about developing the Foundation and increasing the endowment, and sounded like she was anticipating the possibility that the support from the state would drop as it has in other states. If in the future we elected a guy like Larry Kudlow (I know, I know, he's running for Senate not Governor) or someone less interested in higher ed that could wind up being the case, so at least they are anticipating that.

There was a question from the audience about AAU and SH fielded that question like a pro. As I think she has said elsewhere, having AAU-level research enterprise is a good goal to have on its own, so we're aiming for that... and she said something like "we'll get there" but cautioning that AAU doesn't like to add new members. (She also mentioned that Nebraska was asked to leave... which we know... and also mentioned that not a lot of professors even at AAU institutions are aware of it but that it is a thing in the Big Ten - again which everybody interested in CR knows but it was nice to hear her say it). So it's definitely a goal, but no timeframe on when we might get there.

Getting back to the OP... the $6m grant with Wisconsin maybe sounds like a lot for, but it's probably for ~4-5 years... It's good of course to have that collaboration with a school like UW, but I hope to hear more... and maybe some kind of institute-level type collaborations/grants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger