Interesting D. Jones Read | The Boneyard

Interesting D. Jones Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this has been said before, but my fear would be that the kids waiting until spring to sign May miss the open ships that UCONN has to offer. I believe we have 3 or 4 open for next year. 1 is already taken. We have officials coming up with a number of guys. I hope Jones changes his timeframe. If not, take whomever signs 1st.

Reaction Score
I think we end up with Clarke if indeed he waits to make his decision.

Reaction Score
You're crazy if you don't think 3 or 99 had this up hours after it was posted.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Agreed.

One thing that I haven't seen touched on around here in any of the DJones v CClarke debates is that despite both being best suited for the 3, our system could easily accommodate both. One looks to be a white-collar scorer (I think of a young RGay) and the other is a blue-collar hornet buzzing around everywhere (mate RMoore with JAdrien and CClarke might very well pop out).

They could easily play together as the 2 wings when KO wants to go B1G.

If MNewman elects to play elsewhere, I could see KO landing both. Would make for a decent class:

1. JAdams
2. CClarke
3. DJones
4. SEnoch
5. DStone / DBaptiste

Reaction Score
What scares me with Clarke (and Baptiste) is that I have read in a couple of places that a big factor for both is immediate playing time. I believe it was their coaches in both cases who emphasized this. Also Clarke's coach was quoted as saying that UConn isnt a place where he would be likely to get much immediate playing time because of the level of talent here.

In the case of Baptiste he seems to want a lot of available playing time because he is raw and he thinks he needs as much floor time as possible. I think for him it will come down to either being willing to learn behind better players for a year or two and have great coaching at a top level school like UConn, or starting right away at a bit of a lower level program.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

One thing that I haven't seen touched on around here in any of the DJones v CClarke debates is that despite both being best suited for the 3, our system could easily accommodate both. One looks to be a white-collar scorer (I think of a young RGay) and the other is a blue-collar hornet buzzing around everywhere (mate RMoore with JAdrien and CClarke might very well pop out).

They could easily play together as the 2 wings when KO wants to go B1G.

If MNewman elects to play elsewhere, I could see KO landing both. Would make for a decent class:

1. JAdams
2. CClarke
3. DJones
4. SEnoch
5. DStone / DBaptiste
I agree they could play together but I believe we only have 4 spots open in 2015

Reaction Score
What scares me with Clarke (and Baptiste) is that I have read in a couple of places that a big factor for both is immediate playing time. I believe it was their coaches in both cases who emphasized this. Also Clarke's coach was quoted as saying that UConn isnt a place where he would be likely to get much immediate playing time because of the level of talent here.

In the case of Baptiste he seems to want a lot of available playing time because he is raw and he thinks he needs as much floor time as possible. I think for him it will come down to either being willing to learn behind better players for a year or two and have great coaching at a top level school like UConn, or starting right away at a bit of a lower level program.

I think, If I read it right 33, that the coach was discussing the different variables with each school regarding the existing personnel………I don't think he ever said he wants to play right away but i could be wrong. I think he just mentioned that at UConn he would have people in his way so would be a piece of the puzzle rather than an immediate impact. Having said that either way, if he chooses UConn despite what they're saying, he's the guy I want. If he thinks he'd get more PT walking into other programs but knows he'll be a better player/man when he leaves UConn - that's perfect! That's what KO wants too in a young man. Very interesting recruiting time for UConn…...

Reaction Score
Feel like the only reasons that he relates everything to UConn is because that's the only school they've visited and have already heard the pitch from Ollie and the staff.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I thought Clarke's coach didn't say immediate playing time is a big factor. He just said that at UCONN, Clarke would have to wait a year. It just depended on what the kid wanted, and there wasn't a comment on what exactly the kid wanted. He's not a 2-3 year player, so it didn't seem like this was a big deal.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is D Jones similar to Hamilton?

Reaction Score
Is D Jones similar to Hamilton?

Same position, very different players. Jones is a freak athlete who needs to improve his handle and jump shot. Hamilton's biggest strengths are his handle and jump shot.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Same position, very different players. Jones is a freak athlete who needs to improve his handle and jump shot. Hamilton's biggest strengths are his handle and jump shot.

Is Hamilton not a great athlete? He looks like a string bean.

Reaction Score
What scares me with Clarke (and Baptiste) is that I have read in a couple of places that a big factor for both is immediate playing time.

This is the norm whether expressed or implied. It would be more scary 33 if a 'star' player expresses a lack of concern of immediate playing time.

This is where the 'recruitment pitch' begin and recruiters earn their pay. It ain't easy telling a star HS athlete that PT may be limited or that he would be developing while 'sitting/practicing'. It helps that we have Championship, NBA pedigree and a coach who played many years in the NBA.

Many other schools don't have this going for them, so they have to sell PT or the illusion there of.

pj

Reaction Score
Why cant we have clarke and jones?

We have 3 available scholarships and there is greater need for big men. Enoch and Stone would settle the big man spots and you could use 2016 scholarships for top guards like Tyus Battle and Jayson Taytum. No need to crowd the roster with perimeter players who lack PG skills.

C

Chief00

KO will not promise guys playing time - at UConn you earn playing time.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Is Hamilton not a great athlete? He looks like a string bean.
D-Ham is a good athlete for the kind of ball player he is. Were not going to see him flying and finishing over defenders and dunking crazy hard like D Jones does. But Hamilton's greatest strength is his ability to shoot the ball from anywhere (and I mean anywhere, the kid can flat out shoot); D-Ham can finish well at the rim, so don't let his slim frame fool you…definitely be optimistic that we have a very special talent in Hamilton, though. He's a great player and a great athlete too. He has the smoothest game.

Reaction Score
A lot of Uconn in that article, if I had read between the lines, I feel good about our chances. I hope there's a spot available for him if he wants to come here.

Reaction Score
I think this has been said before, but my fear would be that the kids waiting until spring to sign May miss the open ships that UCONN has to offer. I believe we have 3 or 4 open for next year. 1 is already taken. We have officials coming up with a number of guys. I hope Jones changes his timeframe. If not, take whomever signs 1st.
This is always the big question with recruits: sign early or wait. From the recruit's standpoint, overall I think it is better to wait if the player is a high talent. Just think it is better to see where the pieces fall if you are a top 25 player. Now if UConn is his dream school it is a different story. Who knows it may make Clark think about signing with UConn soon but we have players who can play that position so it isn't the end of the world.

Reaction Score
Speaking of "dream schools" it amazes me the Enoch has not committed yet. He was nothing more than a JV player 2 years ago who was a huge UConn fan like his family, with dreams of playing in Storrs. Then he becomes a player and is recruited a bit heavier, right fully so, so the whole thought process changes? Kids clamor the attention now don't they? I mean you love UConn and it stands for everything you want to be but when you become a bit more attractive, you hold them hostage? I know it's not quite like that but it's pretty close………

Just commit if you really want to be a home state Husky dammit!

Reaction Score
The article says he cut all the local schools because he wants to get away from home. I don't know if it means anything but I really like the fact that we are the closest school by far to his home. He can get away but his parents can still come to lots of games and don't need to get on a plane.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Speaking of "dream schools" it amazes me the Enoch has not committed yet. He was nothing more than a JV player 2 years ago who was a huge UConn fan like his family, with dreams of playing in Storrs. Then he becomes a player and is recruited a bit heavier, right fully so, so the whole thought process changes? Kids clamor the attention now don't they? I mean you love UConn and it stands for everything you want to be but when you become a bit more attractive, you hold them hostage? I know it's not quite like that but it's pretty close………

Just commit if you really want to be a home state Husky dammit!

This is you as a fan speaking. Imagine going from 0 to 100 so quickly. A guy who never even got recruited (by real teams), never having a chance to 'enjoy the process'. And it's not like he's waiting til the last minute. Apparently, he's deciding in the fall. No big deal.

We've got 3 open scholarships. So far, there is no need to hurry for these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom