Interesting comment during the men's game re: new facility | The Boneyard

Interesting comment during the men's game re: new facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
"NO OUTSIDE VISITORS or STUDENTS" wandering by.
That's sorta sad -- isolating and "elite-ing" the student-athletes. AND cutting off our practice sources... sigh.

HGN

Reaction Score
I suppose that UConn is looking at the new facility as a pure ' Development Sanctuary' for its basketball student-athletes. Once the athlete enters the facility he/she will be able to work on their game with coaches or individually without interruption. Good for the athlete but bad for us fans and reporters.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not to worry - I've already had a few meetings with the contractors and there may be just a few more bits of electrical equipment than were called for in the plans - remember the US Embassy in Moscow that they never occupied because it was riddled with all sorts of bugs, well they got nothing on what I have planned!!!:cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not to worry - I've already had a few meetings with the contractors and there may be just a few more bits of electrical equipment than were called for in the plans - remember the US Embassy in Moscow that they never occupied because it was riddled with all sorts of bugs, well they got nothing on what I have planned!!!:cool:
Devious! I like it! Just be sure to let us know what you hear from the bugs and hidden cams you plant!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I suppose that UConn is looking at the new facility as a pure ' Development Sanctuary' for its basketball student-athletes. Once the athlete enters the facility he/she will be able to work on their game with coaches or individually without interruption. Good for the athlete but bad for us fans and reporters.
This makes total sense to me. I think it's a terrific idea. A place where the athletes can go and be bothered by absolutely no one.

At a school like UCONN, the best and most talked about program in the nation, the amount of attention paid to the players is unlike any other school. I actually don't think it's elitist at all, and a great selling point for prospective players - you have a sanctuary to get away from everything and everyone except your teammates and coaches to work on or do whatever you feel like when the mood suits you, without ANY other eyes to be aware of.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This makes total sense to me. I think it's a terrific idea. A place where the athletes can go and be bothered by absolutely no one.

At a school like UCONN, the best and most talked about program in the nation, the amount of attention paid to the players is unlike any other school. I actually don't think it's elitist at all, and a great selling point for prospective players - you have a sanctuary to get away from everything and everyone except your teammates and coaches to work on or do whatever you feel like when the mood suits you, without ANY other eyes to be aware of.
Hey - I know people can walk through Gampel but they don't do so often and they don't bother the players and outside the court itself there are lots of private spaces so I don't think it is that big a deal. And the students are way to cool to make a fuss around campus and generally off campus I think most people just wave or smile at them.
The new space will be great because it gives them practice, study and office space that they do not have to share and is available 24/7 but I think 'privacy' is way down the list of benefits.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I can't see how it's NOT elitist -- or exclusionary.

Nothing has I've ever read has ever suggested that the student body, or the casual fan excited enough about the team that they'd be willing to spend some time observing them, is in any way "interfering" with the privacy of the athletes. Just seems kind of sad to think there's the idea that being separated from the rest of the student body who enjoys athletics is a "selling point."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hey - I know people can walk through Gampel but they don't do so often and they don't bother the players and outside the court itself there are lots of private spaces so I don't think it is that big a deal. And the students are way to cool to make a fuss around campus and generally off campus I think most people just wave or smile at them.
The new space will be great because it gives them practice, study and office space that they do not have to share and is available 24/7 but I think 'privacy' is way down the list of benefits.
True, but I wasn't listing the privacy at the top of the list for great things about the new facility, just agreeing with the policy that fans, reporters, students, etc. aren't allowed in the new facility, unless they are invited by the team...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
damn it... my Septembers will never be the same again

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You did that, too. Let's hope no one else did or they may need to scrap the who building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom