Insanely long bunch of SMU game thoughts... | The Boneyard

Insanely long bunch of SMU game thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I had a lot of thoughts during and after the game, but wanted to review the game before putting together a post. Thanks to tcf15, I finally got to do so, but not without a whole lot of interruptions. So finally, nearly 24 hours after the fact, here's a laundry list of highs and lows.

1. When Purvis hoisted a three 14 seconds into the game, given his shooting woes of late, I gave him a big WT... Never got to part, because the ensuing swish stopped me in my tracks. A few minutes later, when he had like 8 of our first 10, I was giving myself the big WTF.
  2. At about the 13 minute mark, Calhoun got his hand on the ball when the SMU guy was trying to get it up for a layup. The ref called it a tie up. But the guy managed to release it in the general direction of the basket before he came down, so it's not a tie up. Not sure whether it would be credited as a block or not, but I lean toward yes. SMU got the ball on the alternating posession. Not sure if it mattered, ball went out off us on the rebounding anyway. Just example one of questionable officiating.
  3. When TSam took an elbow to the chin, play continued, and SMU hit a floater in the lane like 5 or 6 seconds later. Then they retroactively called a flagrant on Moore for the elbow. Shouldn't they have taken the basket scored after the flagrant off the scoreboard and backed the clock up to the point of the foul when TSam went to the line to shoot?
  4. On that same sequence, Spanarkle drove me crazy with his commentary. Basically said yeah, it's the rule, but it shouldn't be. He seemed to be trying to make a case that the rule shouldn't allow the defender to get close enough to get hit by that elbow.
  5. The play that Facey made that sweet jump shot on was a thing of beauty. As Boat drove the lane, Facey backed out of the paint. Ostensibly, that should have dragged the big covering him out and given Boat shooting room. But Cunningham ignored Facey and went up to try to block the shot that Boat never took, leaving Facey with an 8 foot cushion of empty space. Boat did the wraparound pass to him for as wide open a 10 foot shot as I've ever seen. Then Facey had a beautiful block on Moore on the ensuing SMU possession. Not sure why that block doesn't show up on the box score.
  6. With 3 or 4 minutes left in the half, things started to get a little dicey. A couple consecutive turnovers led to SMU scores (even though one was a kicked ball and shouldn't have been a turn over) Our 10 point lead became 4 pretty quickly. Part of that stretch was DHam's little floater that was blocked. It was clearly goaltending on the replay. Oddly, we maintained possession, boat took a desperation 3 at the end of the clock, we got fouled on the rebound action, and the possession ended up with Amida's shot being goaltended, and that time it was called, so it came right back to us kinda poetically. We seemed to settle back down after that. Or maybe SMU started getting a little more careless. One or the other, but a little storm had been weathered, and I felt like surviving that turned out to be important in winning the game. If they had continued to erode our lead and that questionable call on the late shot had put us down instead of simply cutting the lead to 5, things might have turned out differently.
  7. I wanted to be upset about that call the at the end of the half, but it could have been called ether way on the floor, and there wasn't clear evidence to change it on review. If the initial call had been that it was late, they would have had to leave it at that after the review, too.
  8. I have to believe Brown went nuts on the refs on the way to the locker room or on the way back from the locker room, asking how come the 'foul prone' Brimah didn't get called once in the 1st half. They sure made up for it in the 2nd, didn't they?
  9. So how DID Amida not get called in the 1st half, against a team that tries to go to its bigs as much as SMU does? Looked like a great coaching move by Ollie to go to a 2 big double immediately every time the ball went to a big in the paint, with an occasional triple from a guard.
  10. Boat's 3, a minute or so into the 2nd half was one of the prettiest plays of the game. The whole key was the hard cut followed by the immediate pass and going up with it the instant the ball hit his hands. Then a few moments later, Rodney did the exact same thing from the exact same spot. And a minute later, it was Boat again. Same play, same spot, same result. Only difference was that the pass came from Purvis instead of Dham. Running that play 3 times in a matter of 5 possessions early in the 2nd half wasn't an accident. Coaching staff saw some kind of a weakness or tendency on SMU's part, and exploited it in the 2nd half. KO and the guys rocked it! I love having a bench full of point guards in suits.
  11. I don't know how many times Spanarkle said that Boat had a rough game. Yeah, you know, the 23 point, 5 assist, 3 board, 50% on threes kind of rough.
  12. Did Larry brown sitting there saying "I like being around college kids," in that interview sound borderline creepy to anyone else?
  13. Last year, I got angry every time we played Louisville, because their guards constantly got away with using a forearm shiver to the chest to create space on the drive. Yesterday, Purvis got away with the same move around the 12 minute mark. I still don't like the move, but it's nice to have it go our way for once.
  14. My vote for play of the day? As much work as Rodney and Boat did to get us to that point, DHam's three after SMU took the lead around 7:40. He used that weak fake that seems to get his man to back off a hair, as he always seems to try to drive off it. Then he just went up and drained it. That really seemed to light his fire. Starting with that shot, he scored 12 points over about 3-1/2 minutes on the clock.
  15. Things got shaky when SMU started pressuring the inbounds plays late, but just like that little storm late in the first half, we worked through it, and reopened the lead once they started fouling.
  16. Post game interview, RP credited Coach Hobbs for helping him improve his FT shooting -- 100 to 300 FTs with Karl every day.
  17. Yesterday, we finally saw the team we expected to see this season. The one with two consistent scoring threats to complement Boat. Kinda fun to watch.
  18. I hope Brimah's leg is OK. He played hurt the last 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
I think brimah rolled his ankle. there was no talk from the beat writers so i'm assuming he is good. I like spanarkle but ian eagle was terrible imo. They do nets games on YES (not that i watch nets games). Spanarkle was enamored by boatright so that was cool... I still think boat is as good as any guard in the land when healthy and aggressive

Reaction Score
They do nets games on YES (not that i watch nets games).

I figured they must do NBA games when one of those yahoos referred to the shot clock as the "24-second clock"

Reaction Score
James said:
I think brimah rolled his ankle. there was no talk from the beat writers so i'm assuming he is good. I like spanarkle but ian eagle was terrible imo. They do nets games on YES (not that i watch nets games). Spanarkle was enamored by boatright so that was cool... I still think boat is as good as any guard in the land when healthy and aggressive

His ankle clearly rolled defending the baseline inbounds pass that resulted in SMUs and one. That was why he fell. The announcers weren't watching his feet on the replay or something because they said that they didn't see what happened. Sort of weird that you wouldn't look at his ankles when he limped off.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Rich, thanks for your detailed description...I don't get to watch the games until a few days later (no TV here in the Middle East).

Reaction Score
His ankle clearly rolled defending the baseline inbounds pass that resulted in SMUs and one. That was why he fell. The announcers weren't watching his feet on the replay or something because they said that they didn't see what happened. Sort of weird that you wouldn't look at his ankles when he limped off.

Yeah, I don't know how they missed that in slow motion replay but they did. It was very clear.

To Rich's post; nice. I didn't hear the post game and what Hobbs did but it was very noticeable during the game. To your point #2 I thought we finally got a game called fairly or maybe even a little in our favor at times. Overall, I thought the refs did a good job of staying out of it.

Reaction Score
The dunk by Purvis was obviously the big highlight, but my favorite play of the game was his steal/and one. The SMU player gave it his all to not let Rodney even get a shot off but he used his frame to get that and one. His muscle flex also made me feel bad about myself but that's a whole different story.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Boat's 3, a minute or so into the 2nd half was one of the prettiest plays of the game. The whole key was the hard cut followed by the immediate pass and going up with it the instant the ball hit his hands. Then a few moments later, Rodney did the exact same thing from the exact same spot. And a minute later, it was Boat again. Same play, same spot, same result. Only difference was that the pass came from Purvis instead of Dham. Running that play 3 times in a matter of 5 possessions early in the 2nd half wasn't an accident. Coaching staff saw some kind of a weakness or tendency on SMU's part, and exploited it in the 2nd half. KO and the guys rocked it! I love having a bench full of point guards in suits

This series of similar plays stuck out to me as well in-person at the game but even more so after watching the replay. That was a big credit to KO's NBA experience... keep running a play until the opponent finds a way to stop it. Just an absolutely fantastic job by the coaching staff to run the same play but mix the personnel. The team did a great job of executing as well.

Stuff like this make me very happy that we have KO on our sidelines.

Reaction Score

Thank you!! I was sitting in front of a TV saying the same thing at the announcers but for some reason they couldn't hear me, he clearly saved himself from a very bad ankle sprain by falling. It looked a lot like what happened to Boatright in the championship game last season, you see the ankle bow out to the side but they catch it quick and get their weight off of it, that probably saves it from being an "out 2 weeks" injury instead of a "walk it off"

Reaction Score
When you use the replay to check for a flagrant elbow, you don't go "undo" what was done prior to the time you get to the replay. You just call the foul after seeing the replay.

So other than missing the call live, the zebras handled it correctly.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When you use the replay to check for a flagrant elbow, you don't go "undo" what was done prior to the time you get to the replay. You just call the foul after seeing the replay.

So other than missing the call live, the zebras handled it correctly.
Agree. I was surprised that the ref closest to the foul did not see Moore's elbow go up at TSam's jaw when the play was live. I guess he missed it and thought TSam flopped and that his rolling in agony was an act because play should have stopped well before SMU score.

And if Sparnakle wants to make a case about elbows hitting players inadvertently, I partially agree with him given that AB has been called for some. However he's twisting his body and the elbows are moving horizontally in rhythm with the body. But because he's so tall his elbows are head level to lots of players.

The Moore elbow was flung up vertically. Not the best situation to argue against the rule.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
...I thought we finally got a game called fairly or maybe even a little in our favor at times. Overall, I thought the refs did a good job of staying out of it.

I think it's more about the fact that by now we are used to seeing it being so one sided, this one didn't seem as bad. But here is what passes for "not so bad" these days...

RichZ said:
8. I have to believe Brown went nuts on the refs on the way to the locker room or on the way back from the locker room, asking how come the 'foul prone' Brimah didn't get called once in the 1st half. They sure made up for it in the 2nd, didn't they?

Brown was pissed when the foul count was going against SMU about 9 minutes into the first half, 4-1. Refs didn't call another foul on SMU for about 8 minutes, and in that span, they called 6 straight against UConn. That 8 minute span would have actually been 12 if they hadn't gone to the replay to call the flagrant.

To start the 2nd half, the first 4 fouls and 6 of the first 8 went against UConn. SMU was in the bonus at the 12:18 mark. UConn hit the bonus at the 4 min mark. On the game, SMU was in the bonus 3x longer than UConn.

Reaction Score
The old rule on correctible errors said if the clock started you could not go back to change anything correctible. Since the flagrants they can go back and correct even as play continues or if the the clock has started and stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom