Injury in South Bend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Injury in South Bend

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bad news for the Irish and Ali. I hope she can rehab and get back to where she was. She is supposed to be a stud.

That will limit the Irish rotation and make them feel Jewell's departure even more.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Wishing her a quick recovery.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Doesn't scream final four lock. Wing defense is average at best. Post defense looks goor

People have been saying the same thing the last 3 years, and each year they've finished as the #2 team in the country. Three years ago the mantra was, "Notre Dame has Diggins but lost 2 top 10 WNBA picks and Mallory." That year they went 35-2. The next year expectations were even lower without Diggins, and they went 37-1. Then last year after losing 2 All-Americans and really just having Jewell Loyd (and Lindsay Allen to an extent) as a proven commodity, they rolled to another title game. This year, they have literally everyone back besides Loyd, who didn't play well to finish the season, and they have a strong class coming in.

Brianna Turner should emerge as one of the best post players in the nation this year. She had the last 6 months to train, get stronger and work on her offensive game. Last year she dominated Stephanie Mavunga and put up great showings in both Final Four games. I'd look for an expanded offensive game--she was more of a wing in high school/AAU ball if memory serves me right. If she makes that sophomore jump, she'll be incredibly difficult to defend.

Taya Reimer improved leaps and bounds after she decided to stick it out at Notre Dame. She struggled against UCONN, but showed relative consistency shooting the midrange jumper and finishing inside. She's a physical post player and even though she didn't play her best with USA Basketball this summer, I'm guessing she has improved. I'd expect we'll see her put up a steady 11/8 every night.

Madison Cable will fit in great as the 5th starter. She isn't a star, but she has a nose for the ball, makes big plays (see Final Four vs. South Carolina), shoots well and can really help other players elevate their game. Her stats will never be gaudy, but she'll be the ultimate glue player that Notre Dame needs.

Michaela Mabrey--I'm guessing she'll see fewer minutes this year with the 2 stud freshmen on the roster. She is a major weapon when she is on though--she has torched UCONN in the past and is very streaky. If she's on, great for Notre Dame. If she's not, they can bring another McDonald's All American off the bench and replace her.

Lindsay Allen is one of the top 4-5 point guards in the nation. She does a great job of getting teammates involved, taking care of the ball and improved her offensive game last year. This upcoming season, look for her offense to continue to get better. Last year in the regionals she was fantastic, and she's one of the steadier players in the nation. Look for her to elevate to All-American form this year.

Then they have a bench of Huffman (a very underrated player, see Final Four vs. South Carolina), Westbeld who isn't as big as Taya but might be more skilled, and their freshmen guards.

On top of that, they still have Muffett coaching who has proven that she develops talent as well as anyone in the nation. Since 2007, literally every single top 50 recruit at Notre Dame has drastically improved over her career and turned into a high WNBA draft pick. Mabrey most likely breaks that streak this year, but I'd expect everyone to elevate their play this year, especially after being blindsided by Loyd's departure. Notre Dame is still a favorite to reach the title game and outside of Connecticut, they are the closest team to being a Final Four lock in my book.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's what I anticipate:

Starters:
PG - Allen
W - Mabrey (Sr.)
W - Cable
P - Reimer
P - Turner

Rotation
P - Westbeld
G - Ogunbowale
W - Huffman
W - Mabrey (Fr.)

Reserves
G - Johnson
P - Nelson
P - Thompson

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
In the exhibition against Wayne State, your listed first option is pretty much what happened, save for Westbeld spelling Reimer (who didn't play). Westbeld primarily played up high and Turner was working down low, with Allen and older Mabrey looking to pass at all opportunities. Ogunbowale and Mabrey (frosh) got significant chances to play and shoot and they did, leading the team in scoring with Turner right behind. Both of them attack the hoop and shoot mid-range jumpers, adding something to the mix. Let's see what happens against Bucknell. The "who fills in for Allen when she needs a break" debate will continue in S. Bend. Could be like last year...older Mabrey takes over running the offense to give Allen a spell.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I regularly fancy ND being a better team than they appear before the season starts.
And they don't disappoint.

I don't see it this year.

Reaction Score
People have been saying the same thing the last 3 years, and each year they've finished as the #2 team in the country. Three years ago the mantra was, "Notre Dame has Diggins but lost 2 top 10 WNBA picks and Mallory." That year they went 35-2. The next year expectations were even lower without Diggins, and they went 37-1. Then last year after losing 2 All-Americans and really just having Jewell Loyd (and Lindsay Allen to an extent) as a proven commodity, they rolled to another title game. This year, they have literally everyone back besides Loyd, who didn't play well to finish the season, and they have a strong class coming in.

Brianna Turner should emerge as one of the best post players in the nation this year. She had the last 6 months to train, get stronger and work on her offensive game. Last year she dominated Stephanie Mavunga and put up great showings in both Final Four games. I'd look for an expanded offensive game--she was more of a wing in high school/AAU ball if memory serves me right. If she makes that sophomore jump, she'll be incredibly difficult to defend.

Taya Reimer improved leaps and bounds after she decided to stick it out at Notre Dame. She struggled against UCONN, but showed relative consistency shooting the midrange jumper and finishing inside. She's a physical post player and even though she didn't play her best with USA Basketball this summer, I'm guessing she has improved. I'd expect we'll see her put up a steady 11/8 every night.

Madison Cable will fit in great as the 5th starter. She isn't a star, but she has a nose for the ball, makes big plays (see Final Four vs. South Carolina), shoots well and can really help other players elevate their game. Her stats will never be gaudy, but she'll be the ultimate glue player that Notre Dame needs.

Michaela Mabrey--I'm guessing she'll see fewer minutes this year with the 2 stud freshmen on the roster. She is a major weapon when she is on though--she has torched UCONN in the past and is very streaky. If she's on, great for Notre Dame. If she's not, they can bring another McDonald's All American off the bench and replace her.

Lindsay Allen is one of the top 4-5 point guards in the nation. She does a great job of getting teammates involved, taking care of the ball and improved her offensive game last year. This upcoming season, look for her offense to continue to get better. Last year in the regionals she was fantastic, and she's one of the steadier players in the nation. Look for her to elevate to All-American form this year.

Then they have a bench of Huffman (a very underrated player, see Final Four vs. South Carolina), Westbeld who isn't as big as Taya but might be more skilled, and their freshmen guards.

On top of that, they still have Muffett coaching who has proven that she develops talent as well as anyone in the nation. Since 2007, literally every single top 50 recruit at Notre Dame has drastically improved over her career and turned into a high WNBA draft pick. Mabrey most likely breaks that streak this year, but I'd expect everyone to elevate their play this year, especially after being blindsided by Loyd's departure. Notre Dame is still a favorite to reach the title game and outside of Connecticut, they are the closest team to being a Final Four lock in my book.
All these words but you didn't answer anything :confused: yet you gave me a whole lot of information that I ALREADY knew. I'm a WCBB fan first, Duke fan second. I'm aware of Westbeld, matter fact I like her game A LOT. She has great fundamentals and plays fearless when in. Those 2 traits aren't common in a wcbb player. I never said Notre Dame wasn't a final four lock because of what they lost. I SAID that "wing defense is average at best" and that there is enough for me to say they aren't a final four lock. If you havent notice the ACC is loading up with guards. BTW, at this moment there is only 2 final four locks in my mind Uconn and Baylor.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
By March, I expect ND to be the second best team in the country. They've got good pieces and a strong coaching staff.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
All these words but you didn't answer anything :confused: yet you gave me a whole lot of information that I ALREADY knew. I'm a WCBB fan first, Duke fan second. I'm aware of Westbeld, matter fact I like her game A LOT. She has great fundamentals and plays fearless when in. Those 2 traits aren't common in a wcbb player. I never said Notre Dame wasn't a final four lock because of what they lost. I SAID that "wing defense is average at best" and that there is enough for me to say they aren't a final four lock. If you havent notice the ACC is loading up with guards. BTW, at this moment there is only 2 final four locks in my mind Uconn and Baylor.

Didn't mean to put you on blast or discredit your post---I should have just responded to the thread rather than yours. I wanted to point out to people who are a little ambivalent about Notre Dame that they'll still be a powerhouse and will take this loss in stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom